Brit/lit/ pt.II

Old thread What are charity shops in your hometown like, lads? Also, general UK melancholy thread

Other urls found in this thread:

albionbeatnik.co.uk/about/
twitter.com/NSFWRedditGif

Prepare for hot takes by autistic britbongs on why islam and or black people ruined Britain.

Did you just get preemptively triggered?

Pretty good tbphwy- it's an affluent south-eastern town. Although the Oxfam Bookshop gets most of the good books and has the highest prices.

...in fact, because I've generally lived in places with decent charity shops, I get confused when people complain about them 'taking over the high street'. They're literally the only non-essential shops I'm likely to go in. I'd love a high street of nothing but charity shops.

Did you?

>What are charity shops in your hometown like lads?

In my corner of London:
>same generic capitalist ridden high street in every part of the country
>gentrified housing starting at £800k
>muh gastro pubs/artisan coffee shops
>everywhere looks the same

fucking chips in a bucket m8 FUCKING CHIPS IN A BUCKET

I'd much prefer chips in a bucket to chips in a disgusting Styrofoam clam shell.

I think PJ Harvey wrote To bring you my love in that cottage

>Charity Shops
In Belfast they're actually pretty good once you work out which ones usually have the good stuff. Since there's are universities nearby there'll always be something. It is a little sad how many there are about compared to actual bookshops though Belfast is so small if you want you could reach Dublin in about two hours, though you do have to live in Belfast.

What's Belfast like? Would a visiting Englishman get shit from the locals? Is the sectarianism really as bad as it's made out to be?

what about an Englishman living there?

It's not really openly sectarian but like most places it depends on where you go. Divisions aren't really based on religion anymore but it never really was to begin with. Cultural clashes and Brexit crate a lot of friction now but we have no government and haven't for at least a year now. Mostly feels like everyone is fed up with fighting. If you go into a working class estate you will see murals of paramilitaries and flags everywhere, and peace walls are still a thing. paramilitaries are still there they just have no authority beyond being the local hards within their estates.

There are quite a lot of english people living here because it's so cheap and an hours flight away. Like it costs £2000 a year for tuition fees at Queens and the cost of living is so low because its such a backwater.

How are you spending Christmas / New Years lads?

I'll be in London wandering around alone this year the entire week. Might catch a train somewhere for the day but I always end up feeling depressed within 10 minutes of arriving somewhere. I hope McDonalds or something like that is open on Christmas Day, though it's a selfish hope I know.

Which corner of London lad (or ladette hehe)?

PJ Harvey's shit. She is The Guardian in music form. She's the Florence and the Machine of whatever shit genre she represents.

>gentrified housing

Nice Bengoli neighbours had to move out then?

>I'll be in London wandering around alone this year the entire week
why

>they've started another colony on yet another board

In my first year of university a girl from Lisburn lived in an adjacent hall. During fresher's week I was wandering around the various stalls in the giant sports hall considering what clubs if any I'd sign up to (I ended up not bothering) when I saw this girl walking a little ahead of me. She was pale, about 5'4, a little chubby but in a way that seemed to correspondent to her natural physical state, and very cute with dark hair and large brown eyes. She was wearing a red and black plaid coat. On the way back to my halls (after going indoor rock-climbing with some random people - which was a very underwhelming experience) I felt someone ram into my side, and turning amidst the crowd I saw that girl with her hands in her jacket pockets walking with another Irish girl (republic) who was about 6 feet tall and wearing a rowing team hoody despite only having been at the university for about ten days. I realized she had deliberately bumped my arm with the crook of her elbow. The girl said to her friend "this is user who I was telling you about" and the tall girl said "Oh, ok" and asked some polite questions before they walked away. For whatever reason, I imagine autism sincerely played a part, I didn't register that she fancied me and just walked back to the buses. Days later I caught the bus back to my halls and saw her sitting on a seat on the ground floor of the double-decker. She saw me and followed me upstairs and sat beside me. She told me she had been at a party the previous night and slept over at the home, in which someone from her netball team was living. I expressed humorous but genuine disapproval of her both presumably having sex with strangers and feeling the need to tell me about it. She said she hadn't slept with anyone, and then asked why I was so shy / quiet. After that we didn't really talk very much as I think she thought I wasn't interested or just moved on. She did dress up for some party once as a Rice Crispy mascot and she fed me Rice Crispies from her underwear which she wore over a blue lycra bodysuit. Soon after that she began dating a conspicuously "hip", carefree fashionable "dude" from my halls who was often extremely drunk and behaved in what I judged to be an ironically laddish manner. I admit that I envied his casual charisma and imitated his dance moves whenever I went along to one of the student "clubs", said dance moves consisting of basically twisting both feet from side to side while gyrating your body and moving your hands around in the air. I think she works as a physiotherapist now.

Because I'm not close to my remaining family and have nowhere else to go due to apathy and lack of funds. I considered going to Austria or Norway or something but I know I'd just end up in my hotel room on the internet most of the time regretting all the money I was wasting.

Fuck you, you fucking shit. She's one of the best artists of our lifetime you absolute mongloid. God I'm so mad right now. Also Jay Rayner of the Guardian is pretty good though

Not a charity shop but can I shill
albionbeatnik.co.uk/about/
in Oxford because it's an independent bookstore and cosy as fuck.

>restaurant critic

Get a grip lad. Simon Jenkins is the only good Guardian journalist.

I don't care about cuisine or restaurants really, but his pieces are often a joy to read anyway.

>a joy to read

Mum pls

huh

Who /ulster/ here?