Worth the read?

Worth the read?

Abridged version:
>open book
>stare at letters from left to right
>turn pages

>reading a book to learn how to read a book
N-NANI?

The biggest problem with this book is that it is mis-titled for a modern audience. Instead of How to Read a Book; a more accurate title would be How to Read a Difficult Book.

It won't teach you how to read Harry Potter because it's assumed that elementary school already got you to that point. It'll teach you how to read difficult books, how to analyze them, how to compare them to other books and how to ingest their ideas.

Is it worth it? Yes it is but it requires effort.

Yes, if you aren't retarded.

So, for example, and would both profit nothing from reading it.

honestly, it depends. If your only interest is literature/fiction, I'd say no, it is not worth the read.

If you are on college and/or you study a lot of textbooks, then is it worth the read? Probably.

I read it only with literature in mind, and I got very little applicable knowledge from it, and in between useful/interesting topics, there were way too much useless parts that I had to force my way through.

being fair, this image sums up the book very precisely. If you find it interesting, maybe skim though the book (which you will learn how to do if you read it kek)

No. However, Trivium by Sister Miriam Joseph is worth the read, and she credits Morton J Aldamer (or whatever) with a lot of her ideas.

If you intend to teach yourself math, science, economics, philosophy, coding, etc. then yes, absolutely. If you intend to read Lord of the Rings or something, pass.

>an info chart that is literally how to read how to read a book

If you want a book about reading, then I suggest A history of reading by Alberto Manguel, which I enjoyed a lot.

HOW CAN I READ THIS BOOK WITHOUT HAVING READ A BOOK ON HOW TO READ A ABOOK

>is it worth it?
for brainlets mayb
projection
>for collitch
not ebin
>a woman, a catholic no less, teaching men how to read
good lord
>learning how to read from others

so this is the state of Veeky Forums?

>math
>coding
you obviously don't math or code

"Profit" is an intransitive verb, illiterate nigger.

Neck yourself you degenerate waste of flesh

Why do you think that?

> t. bitter CS kid who thinks he's a mathematician

>Don't overview a textbook, I'm a math and coding WIZARD

Not that IN, but profit can also be transitive.

I'm 3/4 through it and it's got some simple tips to improve your general reading (like reading with your finger on the page unironically both increased up my reading speed and I'm retaining more information), but like others have said the book is mostly geared towards academic or difficult books. If you just read modern fiction it won't help much, but it's worth reading the first few parts at least.

I read this a long time ago. I thought that something like this was the secret to reading books. No one told me the real secret, well a few Veeky Forumsizens did, read what you enjoy, read whatever's on your mind, read to learn, read so that you can use humanity's collective wisdom, so that you can borrow ideas from someone who has thought about it already.
Now if you read like this , all you have to do is figure out how to understand what a book is saying. All this book can give you is a bunch of strategies which you can apply and see if it works for you.
Obviously like the other posters are saying it'll be different for different kinds of books, but if you have the time read it. Use it as reference after and while you are figuring out strategies for reading your book to gain the most from them.

Who syntopic reader here?

>kys
how am i a degenerate for not wanting to read instructional books?

I'll say the same about Harold Bloom's How to Read and Why. It's entertaining but not insightful. Usually he never makes a point, he makes observations and says "Yes, this is excellent," but never reasoning. Even if you're a genius and just simply "get" literature, you shouldn't write a book about things you think are a given. Even exegetes should know how to explain themselves.

I don't consider myself stupid, but I'm by no means "smart". Public schools and white trash poverty, so "thinking" was never my priority, and I grew up reading Harry Potter and Goosebumps. This is why I need a good exegesis on literature and how I can better approach it without coming out like, "Uhhh, I didn't get it."

The only book on reading/fiction I've read that's been legitimately informative is How Fiction Works by James Wood. I recommend. Soon I'll be reading the Dialogic Imagination by Bakhtin, anyone else read that?

Pic related is what I think a lot of people expected when they picked up How to Read a Book. Reading Like A Writer is a great book that will get you excited to read a bunch of stuff Veeky Forums would rarely if ever mention.

There's a difference between Bloom and Adler. Bloom, I feel, is a snob. Adler was an educator and philosopher. He wants you to know how and why even if he has to be quite pedantic about it. The older he got, the less like a stuffy academic he became though he was always a nerd about his subject matter.

> Public schools and white trash poverty
Been there too bro. :-(

thanks for the chart, was thinking of doing a similar thing to keep the contents of the book in mind, but that's not necessary now :)

>reading with your finger on the page unironically both increased up my reading speed and I'm retaining more information

how do you do it? it increases my reading speed insanely, but I'm not retaining information as much

it's the condensed method you retarded internet funny guy