$1 million dollar short story

>$1 million dollar short story

B-but muh literature is dead

Are you making the implication that a story selling well means that literature isn't on the decline? No matter what opinion you have, this is a poor argument because it's conflating commercial success with artistic merit.

People argue for both cases all the time. Literature is dead, because people don't want to read smarty MFA writing/Literature is dead, because the written word is dying; people only want free content in video formats.

I don't see the r9k/pol connection desu.

>cat person
>'''''literature'''''

The correlation between quality and money has never been all that high but i think its completely dead by now. In fact money has completely eroded quality as a concept in the sense that money is all and at the same time the only thing that matters. Quality can be fixed by forces that are controlled by money interest (critics, anonymous professionals, marketing and advertising with complete control of public opinion). Today you can convince people to eat shit in the literal sense and make them believe it is a totally legitimate if not beneficial action and even earn money off it. Land is right by what ive read. Money interest/capital is stronger than humanity. Its not that money is a problen for people, its that people are a problem for capital. Black is white, white is black. I think its this complete erosion of humanity that is what really irks most people on here. Money is the absolute God of 21st century Western world. Everything is permitted and can be redefined. As long as it sells. Nothing has any intrinsic quality anymore. Those are assigned after the fact in accordance with money interest.

The prophets of money are those who "sell". The act of creating something that "sells" is the highest quality of man now. You can BTFO anyone in debate by simply asking "Yeah, but does it sell?" and if the answer is no you have won in the court of public opinion and humiliated your "opponent" and conversely if it does sell no judgement in the negative sense can be made of it because the principle of ot selling is higher above all other principles. The mastery of making things sell-able is the defining skill of modern man.

Damn. I need to start submitting to the New Yorker because that story was only passably good.

Do you have Harvard connections and are you willing to toe the party line?

so is anyone going to define "literature" in a meaningful way or is this thread going to be dildos

The two most depressing words in the English language are "literary fiction".
- David Hare

"Literature" is indeed dead and mostly an irrelevant academic circlejerk. It's bullshit that Real People™ don't read anymore because surprise, it has nothing to do with them. Nu-lit fic is so far in the clouds that people dropped it starting in the 70s because of shit like:

In the long unfurling of his life, from tight-wound kid hustler in a wool suit riding the train out of Cheyenne to geriatric limper in this spooled-out year, Mero had kicked down thoughts of the place where he began, a so-called ranch on strange ground at the south hinge of the Big Horns.

Motherfucking WHAT. lmao, this shit would be laughed out of a million writing groups and university courses, and of course book stores by normies, but Annie Proulx has her metaphorical dick in the mouths of circlejerkers everywhere. It's pure, aesthetic postmodernist nonsense that is only acclaimed after the fact. The fact of gatekeepers. Find me a coherent idea in those descriptions. The emperor truly has no clothes.

That said, there's never been a better time to be a writer. You'll just be writing sentences that actually make sense if you want to be a mainstream success, because normal people don't care about "spooled-out years" or "strange ground". You'll also be writing mostly for women, because white chicks are now most of the publishing industry and readership. There is basically no "literature" now but whatever, Cat People is definitely not "literature" and who cares. Books are selling like hotcakes to white women, it's a bigger industry than ever before. And that's not even counting Amazon originals aka self-publishing, which now makes more dinero than trad pub.

Good post.

Is it surprising? I found cat person to be unreadable trash. I'd personally characterize it as the kind of abortive intellectual fart that comes after a solid diet of chick flix and social media. But given that Ready Player One and fifty shades of grey are currently best selling movie spawning money making powerhouses

>edgy pseud: the post

Selfless service is the only way

If a book carries within it divinity and an archetypal message that the world needs to hear, the money will come.

people on Veeky Forums don't read contemporary literature

they google "best 2000s books" and when it's mostly libshit they become convinced that because that's what's popular, that must be literally ALL their is

there are some absolute fucking brilliant authors today who are revolutionizing philosophy and the novel, but people on Veeky Forums don't bother to look for these things (outside of a google search) so they just scream "literature is dead!! m-muh objectively good classics!! reeee women and blacks!!"

>there are some absolute fucking brilliant authors today who are revolutionizing philosophy and the novel,

name them

uhh... use the dictionary

i'm with this guy >>>>give us some names pls

whore.

Indeed. In 100 years nearly none of the crap that gets fluffed as "literature" today will be found anywhere other than decaying digital archives. Some subset of what's actually popular with living human beings will still be relevant, however.

I won’t spoonfeed you

KEK

he won't spoonfeed you, but he will climb on a step ladder spray his shit directly into the ceiling fan

Because there are none

You might be retarded

>"harvard" connections

What's the deal with 'Cat Person'? I keep seeing it posted on Veeky Forums, but I just read it for the first time and it didn't stand out from the typical literary schlock published in the New Yorker. Am I missing something?

It's socially relevant. But desu I'm not usually a conspiracyfag but I think there may be some social engineering going on here, int he same sense as the whole 'is the dress blue/gold?' thing.

social engineering isn't a "conspiracy" it has been going on since society existed

Social experimentation may have been a more appropriate word. You know what I meant. It's boring shit artificially pushed for one or more agendas.

>you don't read real shit
>who do you like
>uh uh uh, spoonfeed

What might the agenda be?

i-is this bait?

saged and reported for obvious anti-semitism

I can't say for certain, but why would you push an easily digestible shitty story appealing to the contemporary young female into a billion dollar reputation except for the obvious money, politics and popularity of the persons and companies involved?

Fucking loser lol

When will literature be liberated from the manacles of the Jew?

Jesus Christ

Speaking of garbage contemporary Veeky Forums - is Cloud Atlas any good or does it just sound like it might be good?

>edgy
what exactly was edgy there?

Sam Hyde

>Cat person
>Flurry of international publishing...

I honestly thought this was something about a Furry author. Which is strange, but tolerable. HOWEVER. The premise of that idiotic woman's short story getting 1 million makes me want to vomit.

The author cleaned up on the publishing deal, but I doubt the book will be a commercial success. The type of person that made the short story an internet sensation isn't the type of person that will go out to the store and actually buy a copy.

>man with terrible taste in loli can't back up his own arguments
huh

It never will.
the only option is to find a cute, funny jewess with a nice round butt to marriage and impregnate, giving you jew privilege and descendants with the aesthetic features of an aryan and the intellectual superiority of the ashkanazim.

>western lolis

>chink lolis

no seriously western "animation" is vomit-inducing trash

not even memeing

nothing I've posted is animated, you fucking imbecile

MODS DO YOUR FUCKING JOB I SWEAR TO GOD ILL CAST A FUCKING HEX ON ALL OF YOU WITH MY OWN BLOOD, BILE AND URINE

ILL BRING DOWN AZURAS, WRAITHS, WRATHFUL DEITIES FROM EVERY CONTINENT, ANGELS FROM THE FOUR CORNERS OF THE GLOBE, WATER SPRITES, SILPHS, DEMONS, GOBLIN HORDES INTO YOUR MINDS AS YOU SLEEP

GET THE DEMON PEDOS OFF THIS BOARD NOW!

this, but unbionically