Book of Disquiet

Is this any good?

I hate that cover.

Is it good?

No. I honestly disliked it. It is an entire book filled with prose talking about how lonely the mc is and about the city the mc lives in. If you feel like reading that this will be something you enjoy. If you prefer something that has a story or poetry which actually rhymes and sounds good you will hate this book.

Seriously why isn't it just a picture of Pessoa? He didn't even play soccer.

no it's horrible desu its the worst rec i've ever gotten from this board. if you like 500 pages of depressing bullshit then read it

I tried to read it, couldn't make it past the first hundred pages. it's just dull desu.

I hope this is bait

>the absolute state of Veeky Forums

where does one start with pessoa?

A little larger than the entire universe

t. shit taste

found it beautiful and not really depressing at all

When I first saw it I didn't realise they were playing with a ball and thought this headless guy was just having a spasm or something

same. the nd version is just as bad. exact change is not bad. anyone know if the 'additions' to the new nd version make it worth it?

One of my constant preoccupations is trying to understand how it is that other people exist, how it is that there are souls other than mine and consciousnesses not my own, which, because it is a consciousness, seems to me unique. I understand perfectly that the man before me uttering words similar to mine and making the same gestures I make, or could make, is in some way my fellow creature. However, I feel just the same about the people in illustrations I dream up, about the characters I see in novels or the dramatis personae on the stage who speak through the actors representing them.

I suppose no one truly admits the existence of another person. One might concede that the other person is alive and feels and thinks like oneself, but there will always be an element of difference, a perceptible discrepancy, that one cannot quite put one’s finger on. There are figures from times past, fantasy-images in books that seem more real to us than these specimens of indifference-made-flesh who speak to us across the counters of bars, or catch our eye in trams, or brush past us in the empty randomness of the streets. The others are just part of the landscape for us, usually the invisible landscape of the familiar.

I feel closer ties and more intimate bonds with certain characters in books, with certain images I’ve seen in engravings, that with many supposedly real people, with that metaphysical absurdity known as ‘flesh and blood’. In fact 'flesh and blood’ describes them very well: they resemble cuts of meat laid on the butcher’s marble slab, dead creatures bleeding as though still alive, the sirloin steaks and cutlets of Fate.

I’m not ashamed to feel this way because I know it’s how everyone feels. The lack of respect between men, the indifference that allows them to kill others without compunction (as murderers do) or without thinking (as soldiers do), comes from the fact that no one pays due attention to the apparently abstruse idea that other people have souls too.

kinda whiny desu. doesn't really go anywhere.

A wonderful quotation.

There is a confidence in Pessoa's work despite the self-defeat and sadness. In my opinion only an obscure, overlooked artist could write something like The Book of Disquiet. It takes a kind of purity and sensitivity and isolation from life and the attention of others. It takes a withdrawal from the world of identity etc.

His poetry is much better. And his heteronyms are even better. The best is Mensagem, though

>t. Soyboys

Start with Chevalier de Pas, then go to Pessoa Ortonym, then Alberto Caeiro, then Book of disquiet, then Alvaro de Campos so you understand Book of Disquiet, then his Alister Crowley stuff, then Ricardo Reis, then Alberto Caeiro again, so you understand what happened, then read Os Lusiadas, the works of Padre Antonio Vieira and a brief introduction of Portuguese Mindset, plus the Bible, then finish with Mensagem

Do like Enoch Powell and learn Portuguese if you have to

Lies. He did play as a full-back in Benfica in 1915

this was my first "lit" book if I can call it that (All I read before that was fiction).

It's amazing if you can get into it. The worldview of Pessoa is mesmerizing and completely different to anything I've seen/heard/etc. before. Either you want it or not, it gives you a new perspective on life. Even though I didn't agree or relate to a lot of parts, I very much appreciated every thought presented in the book. Felt like shit for weeks after reading. Which is a really really good testament for book's quality.

So yeah it's pretty good.

DUDE I COULD COME UP WITH A PHILOSOPHICAL SYSTEM LIKE KANT'S I JUST WONT LMAO

he was a worthless spic prone to puffed up bombast shilled mainly by effete nonwhites like him

>"Keith Bosley, who has translated his poems into English, describes Pessoa as an 'intensely private man'. He was also, in his own words, a 'superior degenerate' - and someone who was fascinated by the occult. Portugal' s greatest modernist poet was also a keen astrologer. He first made contact with Crowley - alias 'The Beast 666' - after noting what he believed were errors in the Englishman's horoscope, published in his Confessions."

>the state of Veeky Forums 2017