More like this?

This book was maximum comf and I want more. Anyone have any tips (other than other Pynchon books).

i am interested in this too op. hopefully we dont get the same obvious shit we do in every other thread

This book was garbage, the fuck is wrong with you

Hurr durr golden fang eveeyones Stoned lol wuuuut

Lit for degenerate retarded stoners

Sperg-tastic post. Tell us about your favourite passage from le bible next.

drink your pills bro.

Dang, fellas. I copped Inherent Vice from a thrift store after seeing Pynchon's name around. Never read any of his books before. I tried reading through a few pages and found it pretty challenging. Is there no hope for a brainlet like me? Or keep reading other books and work my way up to Pynchon? Or keep reading Inherent Vice and it'll click?

It gets better as you go friend. Just accept that you won't understand all of it and enjoy the ride. Also, pynchonwiki is great for looking up the obscure references and don't forget to watch the PTA movie.

come over and watch the movie instead, i just bought some lavender tea

>pynchonwiki
This will definitely help, thanks! Yeah my interest in the PTA movie was piqued when I found out Joanna Newsom is involved with it.

But I want to read Pynchon, not just watch a movie! Currently enjoying some black tea. Cheers.

The movie is pretty dang good too.

Keep reading or move on to some other, easy books. I don't think IV is too complicated so you probably shouldn't have too much trouble with it other than Pynchon can write with some trippy sentence structures that I fall over occasionally.

Been Down So Long It Looks Like Up To Me, by Richard Fariña. It's one of Pynchon's dearest books, and also comfy as fuck.

Thanks for the reminder. I have that around here somewhere and have been meaning to get to it. Didn't he dedicate one of his books (GR?) to Farina?

He was best man in his wedding.

Yep, GR was dedicated to Fariña.

Meant for

I've seen the film (mostly because my waifu was in it) and enjoyed it quite a bit. How much better is the book?

LIQUID HALDOL FOR THE CLASSIEST SCHIZ NIGS

I think the film did about as good a job as you could expect in a Pynchon adaptation. I thought the book was great. It's what I hoped Vineland would be, which I read after Inherent Vice and was disappointed in.

there is a definite delineation between the two, while ostensibly the same (of course), PTA decides to complicate things that Pynchon does not, in this sense, I think for the film version what PTA does is allow us to experience the same kind of mood/mindset of Doc which is a different experience to what is in text

Should I watch the Inherent Vice movie first or after reading?

What did he mean by this?

Piggybacking this thread to ask for a Pynchon recommended reading order. Seen a few ideas before but didn't save. I've read only The Crying of Lot 49 so far and want the best route through his next best 6-7 works

Doesn't really matter. I think most people should read CoL49 first to dip a toe in but after that, just read whatever you want. Make sure you get to the best ones though (GR, M&D, IV).

Euro-time bump. Hoping for more suggestions.

I started with CoL49 and then read V. which I loved. After them you could continue with Vineland or try one of the big ones. Personally I'll try Mason & Dixon next (I have this and Against the Day) and leave Gravity's Rainbow for later.

The Last Good Kiss by James Crumley
Not Fade Away by Jim Dodge

Also the film adaptation of The Long Goodbye.

I found Generation P by Victor Pevin to be similar. I like Generation P better but it's an incomplete book, lots of great ideas that don't totally come together.

I didn't like his werewolf book so much though.