Do you know of any book-length accounts on the impact of the internet on rural life...

Do you know of any book-length accounts on the impact of the internet on rural life? Preferably non fiction but I'd take fiction too. I'm thinking of a case study of people living in the country and getting internet and being exposed to things they otherwise never would have. Or maybe in the twentieth century being changed by television or books/magazines/newspapers. Thank you.

Culture of Critique by Kevin McDonald. Shows just how degenerate our white world has become through leftism Judaicism

Your pic genuinely made me happy. I have not experienced genuine happiness in a while. I do not have any suggestions relating to your request- I just wanted to say thank you.

Doesnt sound like what Im looking for. Your suggestion sounds like it examines the effect on society in general by media. Im looking for something about rural loners being suddenly exposed to media that offers perspectives they might otherwise never have encountered.

I felt the same way when I discovered it. Are you a norm fan? That's him at 14

isn't john williams' Stoner about this

you don't need long form literature; any interaction between a rural right winger not familiar with the internet's colloquialisms and etiquette and in-jokes and cultural signals and a coastal urban left winger hyper-info-age-exposed ironycel on Twitter ought to suffice. not to demean or imply anything bad about the former's politics.

Yea I love Norm. It seems like he's worked so hard to cultivate this kind of crusty persona where he doesn't care about anything, but one can't help but get the distinct impression that he is a very poignant and vulnerable person. Seeing him as a kid- happy, but still very obviously sarcastic and thoughtful- was quite frankly delightful. I feel like a fag being so happy over a complete stranger but like Arthur Schopenhauer says: "Can't help it if you're a fag"

Well said. And your invocation of Schopemhauer seems appropriate. They strike me as kindred spirits.

That's a weathered 14 year old.

Do you guys know of any other conservative comics (in the pre-Reaganite, Whigite sense of the word)?

Let me rephrase this so I don't alienate people or trigger a tangential discussion about his political allegiance. Do you know of any other comics with those kind of conservative sensibilities?

Oh thank you- yea Norm seems quite ascetic in his own strange way. He seems very troubled though, I hope finds/ has found peace

None quite as funny or nuanced. Dennis Miller is conservative but he's become basically a meme. Colin Quinn maybe?

Gregg Turkington for some reason strikes me as having a conservative bent in the way you're speaking of. The rest are libertarian troglodytes.

I don't pay much attention to comedy outside of Norm but maybe Adam Carolla can scratch that itch of yours? He's not a stand-up per se (though he does go on tour doing stand-up type shows) but he's a comedic presence and hosts a comesy talk show podcast. He's also had Norm as a gues several times over the years (those can be found on youtube).

Thank you, I'll check them out. As far as I can remember Quinn is more of a blue-collar type of guy; not that there's anything wrong with that, but I'm sure you know what I meant - the type conservative that no longer exists really, apart from some writers in Britain who are proud Victorian prudes, because they lack the comic dimension, but share the same kind of sensibilities as Norm.

I guess I'm looking for an extinct species.

Mhm, Carolla is closer in spirit to what I was referring to. Not quite as polished, but yeah, closer. I remember listening to his podcast in high-school -he was probably one of the first podcasters- so I'll gladly revisit his stuff for some sweet nostalgic holiday feels.

Colin Quinn is very outwardly blue collar but he is surprisingly well-read and appropriately self-deprecating (as opposed to people who have made careers purely out of "ironic" self-loathing"). I think he's the ideal guest for Norm's podcast desu

I agree with your comment about him not being as polished. He's more charismatic than comedic. But his show is nice to sort of have as ambience, you know? Wall paper entertainment. There's a guy called Kaleb Horton. He hosts a podcast called the Last Exit Show. Politically he's actually a lefty but culturally he is conservative. He's from a rural area and is steeped in americana and an attitude that suggests an affinity for old world things a lot of the time.

Adam Eget, if you don't mind anti semites

Six thousand or six million, he says it doesn't matter

Will definitely check him out. I'll admit not having given him nearly as much time, so he might just take longer to read.

Don't know lads, I wasn't kidding about a lost sense of Whigite conservative spirit that people like Norm and maybe Scruton and P Hitchens encapsulate as contemporaries (granted the last two are far more political and much less comical so they're bound to be less likable). I feel like what they have in common is upbringings for a future that never happened. I wish there was a revival of this spirit, but our generation can never achieve this, having been brought up so differently, all attempts at a revival would end up wearing a fedora. There needs to be a book mourning this sentiment.

Thanks for even more recs, this is turning out to be quite the gold mine for me, will see what Kaleb's about.

Exactly as it is with that guy, but I gotta admit, he's got some really soft palms

No problem. Im something of a cheerleader for Horton since we come from the same town and seem to have had a similar upbringing and personality. Id start with the older episodes of anyone with a title/description that suggests seclusion, alienation or doom.

I don't know any, but there really should be. It had such a huge effect on life. Even in rural areas you can't escape from pop culture/mainstream media/current events.

Just avoid black comics and women

Ive spent my life in rural areas and there was about a year in my childhood that I lived on a farm that had satellite television, old magazines, and science fiction books. Im curious to read about other experiences like that if possible, and ither things branching out from that.

Blump

that's the new word for 'bump'

normie. normie, normie normie. HOCKEY, normie