What work presents THE definitive Meditation on the state of the human condition in the time period between Nietzsche's...

What work presents THE definitive Meditation on the state of the human condition in the time period between Nietzsche's death and the present?

There can't be a definitive definition of human you culture flattening butthead.

The cat in the hat

orgyofthewill.net

You know what I mean, you pedant. I'm asking for opinions anyhow.

Robert Anton Wilson's body of work exploring Timothy Leary's Eight Circuit Model of Consciousness.

Revolt Against the Modern World

my diary desu

RAW is reddit tier. don't mention him here again.

Not OP but persuade me user, is it new age tripe or genuinely worth reading?

Why does there have to be a DEFINITIVE one OP you tard? Are you lazy or does everything need to be in top tens for you?

If reddit actually understood Wilson they sure in the hell wouldn't be reddit.

Adorno's Minima Moralia, i.e. given the contextual 'feel' of this question.

Sloterdijk's You Must Change your Life. Easy.

>le hotdog on friday 23 xD!!
>preaches le skepticism, libsoc GUNS WEED FREE SHIT :D politics

>>le hotdog on friday 23 xD!!!
>...doesnt get it...

nah, it's literally lolrandom redditshit. It's so reddit "fnord" was appropriated as funny hacker slang on sites like digg, whose userbase later came to compromise a lot of reddit. both the equal-oppurtunity-offender epic south park bro and the bernie fan sophmoric-understanding-of-ironic-humor twitter screencap upboater have it on their shelves.

Timothy Leary was a Harvard psychology professor who revolutionised the models we have outlining the different levels of consciousness (information processing) that are available in the human organism, and showed how various drugs and other practices could turn off or turn on these levels of consciousness. Wilson took Learys model and provided extensive and FUN ways of engaging with the implications of the model, more techniques for activating the levels, and an analysis of how the different levels could explain various political, religious, and mystical traditions around the world and over the (ongoing) evolution of mankind.

They were radically undermined by the powers that be in delivering their message, because it was explicitly confronting for governmental and psychiatric monopolies. Also, because it was counter culture, for every 1 person who was ready to embrace it and go BEYOND status quo, there were 100 who embraced it because they couldn't even handle status quo. So it got co-opted by a crowd of dumb hippies who just liked buzzwords they don't really even attempt to understand (like consciousness) and didn't seem to get the way that the model was all about challenging limited conceptualisations of the self, and broadening out to embrace the potential for utilising information processing on many different levels. It was not a model for condoning or condemning any one particular way of being.

Most people who love or hate RAW do not engage with his ideas at all, they either accept them with some sort of self grandiose kudos or they dismiss it as entry level. Really, it is meant to be a pragmatic system for understanding what is going on with humans and CHANGING YOURSELF, and it does that absolutely expertly, and better than any other broad model of human psychology in a long long time.

Just because idiots like something, doesn't make that thing idiotic. Fnord is a symbol in RAWs fiction for the subtle manipulation of consciousness through media, and the way that people can be more or less aware of attempts at this as they consume. It might be a bit gimmicky, but no moreso than little games that Pynchon plays, where elaborate concepts are hidden behind quick symbols and then played with in quick succession throughout the stories. I doubt most people on Reddit who wear Fnord shit would understand most of what's going on in Illuminatus! It is not lolrandom, though again if you dislike Pynchon you probably wouldn't like the novel connections in RAWs novels either.

Ok, what are the best books for engaging with his thought?

Leo Strauss - Natural Right and History

Don’t read this garbage, you’re wasting your time

The best modern books that diagnose the problems we face are, on the side of left wing thought ‘introduction to the reading of Hegel’ by Alexandre Kojeve and on the conservative side Leo Strauss’s Natural Right and History.

Neuropolotique is a great selection of essays from Leary that also has a great essay from Wilson about brainwashing through the lens of the eight circuit model. Prometheus Rising and Info-Psychology are fun activity books for adults to engage with the ideas in the model. It informs a lot of Wilson's fiction and non fiction writing and it's all good quality. I love cosmic trigger series a lot.

It's not a waste of time at all, but your suggestions sound great too (although probably a lot less enjoyable along the way).

+1

Hegel, Heidegger and the ground of history by Michael Allen Gillespie is another good one to go along with Natural Right and History and Introduction to the reading of Hegel too.

This guy is trying to brainwash you with junk philosophy while simultaneously claiming the other posters recommendations are good but less interesting to manipulate you into reading his spiritualist psycho babble nonsense, don’t listen.

t.fnord

Nah, you would know what real brainwashing is if you read some Wilson. What I'm doing is just fnord called conversing and you seem a bit paranoid bud. Wilson's books can help with that too.

Max?