New stack no plebs allowed. No top 100 babies first /lit books please

New stack no plebs allowed. No top 100 babies first /lit books please.

I just got The Sufferings of Young Werther and Faust, what you gonna do about that

Wyndham Lewis is one of those try hard Modernists who tried to achieve immortality through wit and craftsmanship without that divine spark which inhabits great art. The Apes of God and Tarr are admirable achievements on their own, but his series of novels "The Human Age" clearly show a lack of inspiration which throws the rest of his work in an odd light, like when you see a picture of a beloved friend with deep shadows beneath their eyes and jowls. After reading TAoG and Tarr, I imagined a Malcolm Lowry with a better sense of humour. After reading Childermass, I saw him as a battered artist.

He also published an essay titled "The Jews, Are They Human?"

This are the next books on my list, Proust and Lolita I recently bought.
I also have some salvadorian lit I want to start but I dont know when I will

If any of those were worth reading, wouldnt they be on some top 100s list?

posted this awhile ago but there hasn't been anything new since, so here:

also the LoA and the everyman were a 5'er each from a local place going bust.

I don't like it.

sick bro

Came here to say this.

>the i just read continental philosophy for fun guy

Doesn't want typical Veeky Forums books, posts The Lime Twig and Last Exit to Brooklyn. You are an unbearable faggot.

why else would you read it? unless you have some shitty academic job

you’re a massive, massive, humungous faggot

Why

Because you're a slave who bends over to get fucked by priests.

>le ubermensch

cringe

Nice Everymans Chesterton

>no top 100 babies fits Veeky Forums books
>your entire stack

>Lowry with humor
Makes me want to read those, desu. I'll just avoid the others so I don't become disillusioned.

de dónde es amigo?

>still buying books in the digital age

>not top 100 babby's first
>includes Last Exit to Brooklyn in his list

Sorry I'm new here.

The accounts of past interventions from Vietnam to the Gulf War in Kissinger's 'World Order' really changed my view of neo-conservatism and the Afghan/Iraq venture.
Having the discourse saturated by anti-war Chomskyites really takes its toll on what your unconcious biases are.

If you like the Brecht Plays (Dreigroschenoper > Sezuan btw) make sure to also check out his poetry.

>He also published an essay titled "The Jews, Are They Human?"
And?

>implying you have ever read any books auerbach discusses
lmao

I just mentioned it, didn't mean to trigger you, my sionist /pol/ack scum.

Petersonfag detected

Literally doesn't matter you dumbass. I give his essays to all my students to show them how to be a proper academic.

Fucking poser.

Two things:
>Where did you find a bound copy of only Purgatorio?
>What language is it written in?

Ah hell.
>Assumes an English translation. (Me)
>Cantos assume English translation?
Better yet.
>Who was the regent in England during the years covered by your Seventeenth Century British Poetry volume?
Is this a celebratory tome marking the start of the United Kingdom?

Eh, I must continue.
>Hamann
by: Flaherty (1967)
I will raise you..
>Voltaire
by: Rousseau
coupled with
>Epic of Gilgamesh

Dare I go on?

Ain't the lime twig considered such though? It's certainly been memed like crazy on this board.

what

Yes?

>Petersonfag
>Reading Walter Benjamin and Jacques Derrida

All they are used books so it was cheap.

My camera is a shit, so, probably you can't read the titles.

I’m and I literally just got that copy last night. It’s by W S Merwin and it’s english with the original Italian side by side.

Got these recently. From top to bottom:
>Lenin - State and Revolution
The title got me interested years ago, so I got this nice little hardcover of it.
>Kawabata Yasunari - The old capital
I like his works. (It’s a translation of the german version though, common stuff)
>Akutagawa Ryunosuke - Rashomon
I’ve read 20 of his novellas and Kappa in hungarian, so I grabben an old East-German edition of his works. Has Kappa and most of the stories I like. (Already read some of it, it’s quite pleasureable)
>Collection of (then) modern Japanese novellas
It’s an anthology from the sixties, translated from Japanese and lectored by a native. Has a lot of authors from Soseki to Dazai and Oe Kenzaburo. Also contains “Thousand Cranes” by Kawabata.

I’m happy with all of them, maybe a little dissapointed in “The old capital”

One thing I've noticed is that Veeky Forumsizens never really talk about or post in purchase/shelf threads are reference books, unless it's something brainlet-tier like a companion to kant, which they read instead of kant.

pic related, it's my most recent purchase. I'm also reading Bros. K + some Schmitt and Heidegger

if you can read french, why proust in translation? just wait a few years until you've improved.

i like it

kinda pleb tier

garbo

Liddell and Scott.
Woot!
It's worth a mention, a person in a doctoral program may be responsible for translation.
This would require a great many sources.
Y tambien: gifts! presents! pick-pockets!

Should have gone with Holmes' or Ehrman's translation of the Apostolic fathers, the Penguin edition leaves out important documents like 2 Clement and the Shepherd of Hermas.

50000 memes

t. lit made me literate :^)

Yo-Lo
>How is Guthrie? On the whole?

i have that o'reilly book but i've never read it. my political science teacher gave it to me senior year of high school and i forgot to give it back.

>Buying books when perfectly capable e-readers exist.

DEFEND THIS:

I want my children to be around books and enjoy them when they can.

If you liked 'World Order' try 'the Grand Chessboard.'

i want to make stupid people who enter my domicile feel self conscious and i want women to think im focused

Should be some fun reading.

you can't lend an ebook easily to someone.

lol

>being this much of a planned obsolescence cuck
Lmao @ ur life when the power ever goes off

even if my 150 dollar e-reader went kaput, it has already paid itself back in price multiple times.

There are quite a few (a) older, (b) academic books that are unavailable as ebooks, or at best as fucked up PDF scans. If your whole library is ebook accessible you likely only read fiction or more popular/entry-level nonfiction.

>pretending that you're going to read any of those other than the calvino
good joke user!

what are you using it for? I can see it being fun to peruse for its own sake, but do you read enough big-dick authors who plop greek quotes in their writing that you actually use this thing?

trash

interesting. are you a chick?

I have no "stack" because I check out books one at a time from the library like a responsible adult. I put my extra money in the bank and only buy books that I enjoyed enough to re-read.

>trash

Like what? I admit rare specialties aren't scanned to Internet (not at least to public used one). I myself have first edition books from 1850s (national poetry, original ceremony texts of a preacher who was a wanderer in North Europe) etc. but I still maintain that e-reader is simply the best.

>whole library is e-book accessible you read fiction or pop shit.
spoken like a fucking retard.

It is so fucking refreshing to see how many people have the collected Philo here. I couldn’t find a single professor that had a legitimate understanding of Philo in my seminary, let alone students to talk with, and then I come here and it appears almost more than Plotinus. Fucking great

hey, i'm just telling you to read something edifying not some nihilistic prepper mumbo-jumbo that has no purpose but to help you shine the pasty buttholes of your neo-nazi boys club extra clean

Where on the doll did Herman Kahn touch you

>interesting. are you a chick?
Not that user but that's about as far from stereotypical chick taste as you could possibly get. If that poster is female I'll be fuckin stunned.

Not a chick.

Most recent one I remember having this issue with was Anatomy of Melancholy, which is a breeze to get as a hard copy. The PDFs are incomplete and shit scans. Also maybe ereader tech got better, but I had a 2nd (I think) generation kindle and any PDF was absolutely useless on it. If the text wasn't .mobi convertible or whatever then it was impossible to read.

I literally just got it and all I know of Philo is one or two tangential mentions of him I saw in some essays on Plato's Laws. Overall I think lit has a decent smattering of expertise. Like I've seen someone post a full set of Thomas Taylor's Proclus editions in a bookshelf thread, or that guy with like 20 volumes of Marx interpretations under his belt.

Any part of Philo you'd recommend checking out first? I probably won't get to it for a while, just picked it up because I found it for real cheap, but any suggestions would be cool.

Am also curious as to why he thought that.

Idiocity aside, Themonuclear War actually sounds quite interesting. Thanks for the info user.

No problem, it is a rather informative text on nuclear strategy.

I think ‘who is the heir of divine things’ might be a good place to start. It seems really confusing at first, but he basically repeats the same concepts in every treatise, so it gets more interesting as you go along. He reframes Plato’s philosophy through the lens of the Old Testament. He basically writes a bunch of instruction manuals for a Jewish Mystery religion in Alexandria and, I believe, his work is the closest we’ll get to understanding ancient mystery religions. I wish it weren’t such a steep learning curve to get into him (a lot of people disregard him as an absurd storyteller before understanding that there is a method to his madness), but if you go into it with a solid background in Platonic philosophy and give his work a chance, it could provide you with the most engrossing reading experience you’ve ever known. I wrote my thesis on his work and I still can’t get enough

How is (u)My Secret Book(/u)?
Is the pictured edition a complete set?

It's the "Sorrows" not "Sufferings" my dude. Great book though.

I'm studying Ancient Greek + Biblical autism.

Cool, thanks very much for the info. I've read all of Plato and spent a few months following up with 9-10 different volumes of commentaries so I think I should be fine on that front. Given your familiarity with Philo and presumably modern research regarding him, are there any commentaries/secondary sources you'd recommend as followups or companion pieces?

Haven't started it yet, I'm reading Augustine's Confessions first since it looks like Secretum is modeled on or at least inspired by it. And yeah it should be the complete text. I Tatti renaissance library edition, like Loeb but obviously for a different era.

My art teacher once gave me a Glen Beck book, it was odd. I like how the O'Reilly book has every chapter title be The _____ (Factor)

At least you got dubs.

Soy mexicano pero mi papá es de El Salvador, entonces encontre una novela y una selección de cuentos de varios autores salvadoreños y unos libros de no ficción también

>implying you have ever read any books auerbach discusses
It's not like everyone here already started with the Greek and finished Odyssey.

I share more or less the same idea after finished Diplomacy.

This must be involving some kind of Calvino meme that you decided to single me out in this thread.

everything you can as for desu

No pics yet
Blood Red Snow-- Guenter Korschorekk

Becoming Orthodox-- Fr. Peter Gillquist

I can focus better on a monogunctioning object than on a multifunctioning one. I’m also scared it gets stolen.

This is what I got myself for xmas.

What's the deal with the shitty paper dustcover on the plato? It's one of the most expensive books I own and they can't put a decent dust cover on it?

Unfortunately there aren’t any good secondary sources. There haven’t been any good scholars that have devoted any time to him because Christians don’t like him (because he invented the whole ‘Jewish son of God that saves you from sins and is sacrificed, being tied to a cross’ thing before Christ) and philosophers don’t like him because they see him as an allegorical apologist. There are a few basic guides but your best bet might be to look up some scholarly papers for free online to give you a general rundown. St. Clement said Mark (whose gospel was written well before the others and was used for the composition of the others) went to Alexandria to write his gospel, but really he was explaining why original Christianity came from Alexandria. Mark’s gospel is stuffed with Philo’s symbolism. It is a Philonic treatise and Christianity was originally a Platonic mystery religion, just to point you in the right direction

You’re supposed to take the dustcover off. You don’t see dust covers on many bibles. It is like a bible. Best book I own.

Those landmark books are the shit.

Patrician choices user

Bunp