What were drugs that soldiers and warriors used in the past to help them fight or deal with combat...

What were drugs that soldiers and warriors used in the past to help them fight or deal with combat? I know modern soldiers use amphetamines but what about in the eras before that?

Other urls found in this thread:

nbcnews.com/id/3071789/ns/us_news-only/t/go-pills-war-drugs/
en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Chupilca_del_diablo
anyforums.com/
twitter.com/NSFWRedditGif

Only physically, and/or mentally unstable persons with weak spirit need to consume drugs to "cope with warfare".

If you need drugs to cope with warfare, you are not a warrior and shouldn't be fighting.

Likely something used by Germanic Berserkers for their Berserkergang
Hashish was used by Arabic Assassins, name hints this beiong obvious. It was said it was used during "banzai" missions, legend said they were shown Paradise pleasures by the Grandmaster tho as part of recruitation
I heard Ayahuasca could have been used by Mesoamerican Chilvalry (Jaguar/Eagle, etc), or at least to see those "Golden Cities" like El Dorado.

Hope I have helped. I am genuinely curious aswell.

Lots of soldiers were conscripted. And constant warfare is stressful for anyone. And drugs always give you an improvement, why do you think top athletes do steroids. Even

Scythians smoked dank kush from solid gold bongs

I think they mostly used hallucinogens before battle. During battle they wouldn't help much. In assassins creed you smoke hash before each mission.

Cocaine, Opium, Shrooms etc.

>Lots of soldiers were conscripted.

>Only physically, and/or mentally unstable persons with weak spirit need to consume drugs to "cope with warfare".

>And constant warfare is stressful for anyone.

And?

>And drugs always give you an improvement, why do you think top athletes do steroids.

1. It depends on what kind of drug, and for what purpose.

2. Steroids are the opposite of optimizing; steroids cause biological, and neurological, damage.

>Even

"Even" what?

Are you "Metatron" from "Youtube"?

There are a few plants that have mild stimulant effects when you chew on the leaves. One is called khat I think.

Drugs that are actually worth a damn are a fairly new thing. I think the most bitchin' thing that enough people actually had access to was some sort of roman sauna that got you kinda buzzed maybe

>t. airsofter

This, Morphine was also heavily abused much like painkillers are today.

>Drugs that are actually worth a damn are a fairly new thing

Mushrooms, morning glory seeds (LSA), coca leaves, alcohol, opium, marijuana, khat, ayahuasca (DMT), peyote/san pedro (mescaline), coffee, salvia. betel nut, datura, ergot, iboga, tobacco.

The precolumbian andeans used coca very often.
And the san pedro cactus, but it was more rare and in more ancient times.

Powerful hallucinogens were common, but any other type of drug (painkiller, stimulant) seem to require advanced modern refining.

Also, the rampant alcohol use by medieval soldiers was a form of escapism. In response to that "warriors are tough and perfect and don't need any enhancement" guy

Yo
Hol
Up
You telling me that no one thought until recently - to grind up the buds and flowers of the Cannabis plant, put them in a pipe, and inhale the smoke as a form of natural medicine to treat everything from pain to stress?
WE INVENTED MARIJUANA!
WE WUZ DOCTORS AND SHEEEIT!

Berserkers are thought to have taken the mushroom Amanita Muscaria, containing a dissociative hallucinogen called Muscimol.

Modern soldiers don't use amphetamines, what the hell are you talking about?
Rip-Its, caffeine, and nicotine maybe.

In pre-colonial philippines and the bunch of tribes that escaped Spanish Colonialism, people chewed on Coca leaves to psych themselves for a charge when the shooting/skirmishing phase ended.

Dextroamphetamine is also widely used by military air forces as a 'go-pill' during fatigue-inducing mission profiles such as night-time bombing missions.

I think that Norse warriors consumed redcaps to induce some sort of fury. Other than that, probably hashashins were dude weed lmao after combat.

nbcnews.com/id/3071789/ns/us_news-only/t/go-pills-war-drugs/

>tfw hypocrites

>nbcnews.com/id/3071789/ns/us_news-only/t/go-pills-war-drugs/

>Fatigue has been inherent to battle since the Spartans fell to Xerxes’ Persians at Thermopylae

What the fuck am I reading. The Spartans lost due to them being outnumbered and outflanked.

I only linked it for the sake of showing amphetamine use in the modern military.

Well he used the name and an angelic .gif so the chance seems high enough

>Mushrooms, morning glory seeds
I guess the depersonalisation(?) could help in a fight, but I don't think that they give a man the correct mindset for violence.

>Also, the rampant alcohol use by medieval soldiers was a form of escapism.

Alcohol was also the only safe drink not contaminated and alcohol was further thought to be healthy.

Soldiers of my country (Chile) have a well documented use of a quite fucked up mix during the Pacific War.

en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Chupilca_del_diablo

Jünger would drink, I think he classifies as a warrior

Berserkers didn't exist you fucking idiot every single saga that mentions them also atributes them supernatural abilities and the schrooms that grow in Scandinavia are muscle relaxants.

Vino

Alcohol they had back then was closer to the fucking water (jut like american beer) than what we have today.

Pretty sure there's a roman source talking about wine being flammable (hence why they watered it down).

Noodle limbed autist spotted

clearly you've never had to kill anyone, or watch fellow soldiers die in front of you.

They purposefully watered it down so it would last longer, the Brits called it grog though its origins span much further back.

kek

Grow a pair, fag.

Cocaine is from the New World, so it wouldn't have been in any ancient western society.

Some Aztec warriors used peyote supposedly.

>Hashish was used by Arabic Assassins
No it wasn't. Stop getting your historical information from video games.

>steroids cause biological, and neurological, damage.
Thank you for having no idea what a steroid is

You should look up amphetamine use in ww2 t.bh it was insane especially in Japan and Germany

That is true though
The word assassin comes from Hashish

I always wonder how much of the barbaric behavior of Germans in WW2 was just people used to violence high on amphetamine and drunk.

>being this sheltered
I bet you're the same guy to say "cowards fight with guns! real men use their fists!"

I would appreciate it if you all stopped glorifying violence pigs

During a lot of the civil wars that have taken place in Africa going back some thirty years ago, child soldiers would be given "Brown-Brown". Basically its a mix of cocaine,gun powder; heroin could also be included in their diet. Cannabis and cigarettes as well.

Mainly alchohol. When I drink a bit, but no too much to become a total stumbling drunkard, I become way more aggressive and confrontational.
Then shit like amanita muscaria, shrooms and whatnot. I seriously doubt hashish or opium have ever been used in such manner.

>Berserkers didn't exist you

I guess the laws banning them in Norway were made just for the laughs.

You're a retard with no understanding of humans.

During the swedish "time of great power" in the 17th century etc, the soldiers were to my knowledge ordered to drink themselves somewhat intoxicated before a battle. If you failed to consume your ration of alchohol or if you drank to much you would be disciplined. The goal was to numb you just enough that you would be reasonably calm but not drunk enough to lose your focus or your motorskills.

But are there any evidence that they
consciously used it before battle?

>Alcohol was also the only safe drink not contaminated

>Alcohol they had back then was closer to the fucking water

I can't believe this meme is still doing the rounds.

It was started by Persians not Arabs. By the leader of the Ismailis I believe

Vikings ate psychedelic mushrooms, as long as I've heard