Is it good?

is it good?

Read it and find out

Couldn't you have used the other already existing thread?

umm no?... i'm asking specifically about wilson's new translation

You know it's bad and wanted another thread about it.

It's not good, read the preview, obviously a woman academic from the 21st century cannot supersede let alone come even close to the literary achievement of Pope or Fitzgerald translations.

don't come for me, honey
you have no idea

if you have something to say about the translation, say it. idc otherwise.

>has survived literally thousands of years
>still discussed today
>"is this worth reading?"

totally unbiased review right there

that specific translation you dense fuck

it's true

>Pope
>Good
Lmao

What about Broome's or Fenton's?

Honestly, its an inferior translation from a technical and artistic standpoint. "Complicated man" is enough to rule it out forever even with all the apology that translation has seen in the last thread I've seen and her own explanation. Its a politicized translation that takes one of the foundations of ancient culture, which is inherently masculine, and tries to shame it for the fact and somehow turn it into something else. It should be review bombed on goodreads and everywhere else, also "reimagining it in a modern context" has been done before by better translators and she basically is bringing nothing new which is worth mentioning. Her translation is just inferior.

Not to talk of stuff like:
>There is a difference, however, between avoiding vocabulary that is tinged with racism, and rehabilitating the Cyclops as a “maimed non-Greek person” with whom the poem has “a certain amount of sympathy and even admiration”. Wilson calls Book Nine “A Pirate in a Shepherd’s Cave”, a title that paints Odysseus as the bad guy and the Cyclops as the victim. For her, the Cyclops and his people are not “lawless”, as the Greek has it, but “mavericks”. It is as if the killing and eating of Odysseus’ men were incidental details.

Translate a word that basically means bitch-faced, dog eyed this way.

Makes me think really, really hard. On the left is Wilkins, on the right Fagles.

Yeah he's great

>female
>"good"
choose one

who /Chapman/ here? unironically the comfiest

Hold on a fucking minute. What exactly is wrong with the Fagles translation?

Nothing is wrong with fagles translation

It's too accessible.

It's a complicated answer

It's fine, don't worry

Political correctness

Not better than the existing translations

Good in general or in comparison to previous translations?

learn greek

Literal womeme

Not regressive enough