England's best prose stylist?

England's best prose stylist?

.... would be G.K. Chesterton. Nice try, though.

Me desu

Gonna go out on a limb and say Thomas Browne. Nigger could write.

Aubrey, Donne, Walton, Taylor, Gibbon, Lamb, Pater....

>stylist
Burgess

missed Browne

but isnt that a girls name

Browne was taken in a post above.

William Cobbet, Sidney Smith....

it's his wife's name

Laurie Penny

I recently finished Brideshead and found it a great pleasure to read. I don't know who's the best, but I do love English prose from that era.

I've just read a paragraph of Browne because of your recommendation and I am pleasantly surprised. I had thought he would be as difficult as Robert Burton because they are both obscure, patrician writers from the same era. I'll consider reading Browne after I'm done with Jane Eyre (a mandate from my wife).

>I am of that reformed new-cast Religion, wherein I dislike nothing but the name,K9 of the same beliefe our Saviour taught, the Apostles disseminated, the Fathers authorised, and the Martyrs confirmed; but by the sinister ends of Princes, the ambition & avarice of Prelates, and the fatall corruption of times, so decaied, impaired, and fallen from its native beauty, that it required the carefull and charitable hand of these times to restore it to its primitive integrity

I wonder what he would make of the status of the Anglican and other mainline Protestant churches today. Personally, I am a sort of "born-again" Roman Catholic who had been absent to the church for a long time but was tempted to convert to Anglicanism based on how many great minds the Anglican church molded in the British Empire and America. Since the decline of all churches after World War II, however, it seems ironically enough that the Roman Catholic Church has the most "primitive integrity" of all the churches. Would Thomas Browne have been able to witness the farce of a gay marriage in good conscience? It is difficult for me to imagine any of these old Anglicans approving of where their church has gone.

Anybody ever read Charles Doughty? I know Henry Miller raved about his prose.

The Peregrine had some beautiful passages.

I love Waugh but Brideshead is his most famous book for a reason as it’s his stylistic zenith. He definitely has other good books but probably nothing else I’d call a masterpiece.

I figured Vile Bodies or Scoop, or even Decline and Fall were better known?
Even just for the man who loved Dickens conceit and the movie, A Handful of Dust gets mentioned a lot too (not here, by normies).

I think you're mistaking your favourite book for everyone's favourite book.

and Macaulay

>marries a woman with his name
>later gets dumped by her
>converts to Catholicism
>travels around the world and visits exotic places
>marries a rich woman of an old recusant family
>fights in WW2 in the Royal Marines
>guerrila fights with Churchil's son in Yugoslavia
>Tries to save Catholic Croats from Serbs and Commies
>finds success with Brideshead
>friends with all the British's jet set
>pretends to have mental breakdowns to make his life seemingly more interesting
>unapologetic racist
>denies being a CBE because thinks he deserved a Knighthood
>trolls a guy that makes a film about him
>wins suits for the lulz
>shits on Vatican II
>toocooltovote.jpg

Truly ourest of guys

shit, what's the name of the woman who "bullied" him into Catholicism? pretty sure he used the term bullied

Olivia Plunket-Greene

thank you, user, you deserve your dubdubs for delivering. checked etc.

waugh writing about his life is fucking great. i picked up white mischief by james fox because i figured it would be similar, but half of it is just about how cyril connolly really liked food and taking notes and the rest is about the earl of erroll murder. it's good if strange, but it's not the biting upper class wit waugh has. has anyone read black mischief? that should be memed here.

I read Deserta. Quaint. Read Laurence Oliphant.

Sure. But the purport's the same. To answer OP's question: no.

That's subjective