Where does it look like this painting takes place?

Where does it look like this painting takes place?

It's called "the American" by Bo Bartlett. I saw it a while ago and saved it. It's excellent writing fodder.

I'd like to portray it accurately though, even if it's just for the exercise's sake.

Thank you.

Also general Veeky Forumsspo paintings thread, I suppose.

I also really like this one. Same painter.

I live in Illinois. It looks like where my best friend's mom lives.

Same. I live in Illinois.

>when you can't figure out how to paint knees

looks like some jack vettriano bullshit....the type of illustrations you found used as pulp fiction book covers int he 70's and 80's

Stop making Jordan Peterson threads!

Somewhere in the great plains like Nebraska

Illinois is what I was thinking. Definitely a heartland sort of vibe. I live in the Canadian prairies, so I knew it was somewhere similar.

Unrelated but this is another painting I really like. Somehow his work has a nostalgic, "Bruce Springsteen" kind of feeling. Not sure how.

I would like to write a novel that feels like a Bruce Springsteen song.

No Barlette is great, he's like the David Foster Wallace of painters

Sorry I forgot the painting I wanted to attach.

See this post for reference. Definitely feels like a song such as "My Hometown"

Id say maybe Kansas, Oklahoma, Wyoming, Nebraska, Idaho. Some whyte stronghold. I like it, its vulgar and middlebrow, but it really does it for me. Saved and please write your exercise, and please be a little talented so I don’t regret encouraging your interests. Thank you for sharing with me user

Thanks for the encouragement, user.

It really does it for me, too. Maybe it's because I grew up in middlebrow places, but that sort of imagery really gets it for me. I moved away from home young, and moving to a bigger city really made me realize how much slower life seems to move in places like that.

Things don't really break, back home, if that makes any sense, and that's probably why it exists as such a stalwart little bastion of nostalgia for me. I can go back home, and I'll know that my old man still has his old rusty f-150. I'll know that Jerry still owns the auto-parts store, and I'll know that my mom will still open the windows on summer days to let the slow breeze waft through the kitchen and living room.

They are comfortable memories that I can visit any time I like. Sure there may be a few more modern cars on the road than my childhood memories, but by and large everybody is still just putting around in work trucks because the local mechanic will slap a road-safety certification on anyone's car who walks through the door.

Nebraska desu

Wow thanks for turning me onto this guy. I like his paintings.

why are contmeporary paintings so creeepy

>pulp fiction books
>70's and 80's

Why are idealizing what are clearly satirical, biting, and sad paintings.

That jabroni looks like a young Jordan Peterson. LMAO.

didn't know about Bo Bartlett, thanks OP. Pic related is Alex colville.

>BMWF

Oh fuck off.

this one always makes me think of Infinite Jest for no reason whatsoever

It makes me think in Orin.

the modern, pink house with a pool, palms and a cloudless sky looks straight out of something in southern az

when orin is first introduced it talks about him looking out his window at a still pool in a scene that looks basically exactly like this except for the splash

dfw vibes

i like how art started getting bad the moment we let homosexuals join society.

Orin was so based. He and Pemulis made that piece of shit worth it.

New York Times review of the painter:

Eye of the beholder and all that.

Da Vinci was a bad artist?

>that final sentence

Laughed out loud.

All your pics remind me of growing up in Kansas, OP.

Makes me miss home. Tbqh I kinda hated some of that growing up but it has provided me great writing material.