What is your favourite book set among the British upper class?

What is your favourite book set among the British upper class?

Also, how do you feel knowing that you will never be a member of the British upper class elite? Especially when so many great novelists, poets etc are a member of that class.

Pic related

Other urls found in this thread:

jta.org/1961/01/25/archive/london-schools-charged-with-practicing-anti-jewish-discrimination
twitter.com/NSFWRedditVideo

You have to admit, in all seriousness, that there is something very high-brow an civilized about the upper class. And this, also, is often reflected in their literary talents and so on.

Wolf Hall

Great suggestion.

On the one hand you can "get drunk with the lads" and on the other you can "get drunk with the lords"

It's a cultural dichotomy if ever I've seen one.

I’m American so I prefer my freedom to being a big fish in a little pond.

Pounded by the Pound: Turned Gay By The Socioeconomic Implications Of Britain Leaving The European Union by Chuck Tingle

I wouldn't expect an American to understand ancient class and refinement. No offence.

Pic related:

On the one hand you have "snogging Becky in the park" and on the other you have "kissing a future fund manager after the gala ball"

The literature reflects this.

While the peasants are swigging cheap "booze" in their terraced house, the future generation of cultural influencers and literary avante-garde are having peak aesthetic experiences.

I'd rather be a Jew, they're pretty much the same thing only they're way better at it

>I'm a stupid idiot so I prefer being a stupid idiot to being a stupid idiot. Also, did I mention chilli cheesedogs?

Many members of the British upper class are Jewish. Many private schools for example, especially in London, have had to set a limit on how many Jews they admit because so many Jewish financiers etc try to get their sons and daughters to mix with and indeed breed with the white British upper class.

Link related is an article by a Jewish group suing these schools for not allowing unlimited Jews

jta.org/1961/01/25/archive/london-schools-charged-with-practicing-anti-jewish-discrimination

>those womanly hips

No thanks. I'd rather starve and workout than be forced to appear at events like that.

personal fav:
point counter point by huxley

recommendation for harem/slice of life lovers
mitford's hons and rebels
i think diana wrote a book in response which pissed nancy off because she'd written hons and rebels as fiction and diana just did a non-fiction expose

Excellent suggestion.

Another fine example of upper class hijinx and jolly good fun!

jessica mitford wrote hons and rebels. (nancy wrote good books too and was pissed off at diana's expose, but that's a separate girl fight, where nancy later shopped diana to MI5)

I really enjoy this aesthetic as a middle class American. I doubly like it when it turns out that the richest douchebag is a huge fag, as in literally. Which writers are most famous for this?

Heavens! How spunky of her! Bloody jammy old girl! Spiffing!

>I doubly like it when it turns out that the richest douchebag is a huge fag, as in literally. Which writers are most famous for this?
Evelyn Waugh. It's a conglomeration of two faggots he went to university with. Vile Bodies is a good place to start, but it's kind of a loose continuation from Decline and Fall if you want to read in order.
Brideshead Revisited is the classic rich gay faggot douche.

Nice. I was planning on reading him anyway because he was supposedly a big influence on Gaddis.

Nice quads. His dialogue (especially in Vile Bodies) is masterful, especially when you think about how new phones were. He's a surprisingly comfortable read considering his subject matter; though that's all less scandalous and serious to a Veeky Forums reader, he had to put on his second edition of Decline and Fall a preface in caps that it was okay to laugh.

My parents paid £35k for my annual boarding school fees. It does restrict one's perspective somewhat I admit. It sounds arrogant perhaps but I wouldn't marry a girl who was not of a similar background. Unfortunately it is very difficult to relate to someone who isn't familiar with the countless rites and formalities involved in growing up in the upper-middle / upper class.

Being rich in a third world country might have some pleasures to it but as an American I can own knives and guns and I can verbally abuse celebrities, politicians and journalists onTwitter without fear of going to prison. So enjoy your money and hemophilia, l’ll enjoy my freedom

>americans view being encased in their own obesity in front of a screen as freedom
dictionaries aren't big sellers there, are they?

Thid is a recent phenomenon and a sign that the Anglo upper class is falling apart and just being consumed by the International Jewry Elite

Cash is king, darling.

Jewish or not, if he has money (which he will, given his family background and subsequent school and Oxbridge ties) some amoral girl long-used to a life of luxury will inevitably go for him. There is no point being angry or jealous.

This is dangerously close to banter, lad. Careful now. You don’t want MI6 and a dozen bobbies coming to put you in the nick for banter crimes. God help you if they find a spoon that’s a little too sharp to be legal.

>Cash is king, darling.

Thats really, really, not what the Aristocracy had been about for the last millenium

Times have changed old boy. It's 2017, after all.

come now, user, they'd have to fit me up for good natured banter and i can provide many character witnesses to prove it.

The Picture of Dorian Gray
Status means nothing if you're shit.

Yeah I see where this going. Good while it lasted

I've been around the upper class thanks to some tenuous connections and whatever literary talent was there is gone, and is now basically comparable to the general population.
I think that's what you're getting at with the pictures though

ITT Bongers reminisce about when they were a superpower and cling to bad-dentured arrogance as a last attempt at staying relevant

>Zadie Smith and Kazuo Ishiguro
Wow we're really missing out

This.

OP, read the intellectual life of the british working class.

>peak aesthetic experiences.

> 20yo degenerates going to parties and getting drunk

The upper class, if there is still one, is composed of old men chatting in cafes, not these people.

>if there is still one

There isn't. The upper class died in the Kenyan Highlands. Now they're all just standard bourgeois that LARP

>trying this hard to incite a reaction in others
OP you're probably an ok fella who just needs some actual human companionship. shitposting on this board is a poor substitute for the validation that comes from having a real person understand you for who you are.
just sayin

You mean the Islamic upperclass? Well I guess I don't mind!