What does Veeky Forums think about the writings and philosophy of Eliezer Yudkowsky...

What does Veeky Forums think about the writings and philosophy of Eliezer Yudkowsky? Despite being entirely self taught and having received no academic training of philosophy or science, he has been become quite influental.

Other urls found in this thread:

youtube.com/watch?v=tHGNf6nWUm0
archive.li/LkGSg
danluu.com/su3su2u1/hpmor/
twitter.com/NSFWRedditGif

Self-obsessed, trite garbage, with no human warmth or humor.

He may be influential in this autistic cult/community but that's about it. I'm pretty sure his shitty institute is a scam to pull out money from his cult.

>Yudkowsky

My primary, Erin (cameo as Erin the Consort in Ch. 13), would like to make the following announcement: If there are any guys in the Bay Area who like the same obscure black metal bands she does, she may be interested in some no-strings-attached dates. She’s making this announcement here because of the insanely unreasonable difficulty of finding guys who like the same black metal she does. Her favorite bands include: Early Abigor, Blut Aus Nord, Horn, Falkenbach, Njiqahdda, Samael, Vintersorg, Vinterriket, Lunar Aurora, Nychts, Arckanum, and Negura Bunget. Long hair is a plus but not mandatory. Female fans of these bands are welcome to contact her as well. And if you’re in the Berkeley area, she’s also looking for a hiking partner of either gender. Email her alias here.

(Before anyone asks, yes, we’re polyamorous.) Apologies in advance to any 19th-century old fogies who are offended by our more advanced culture.

Why do autists love this equation so much

I will forever post this, it's just too funny

(especially since this post has been up fo ~4 years now and he doesn't delete it)

Peter Thiel himself has donated hundreds of thousands of dollars to MIRI, so Yudkowsky has that much to show for.

peter thiel is as much a meme as yudz

>dat backpedaling from elie

youtube.com/watch?v=tHGNf6nWUm0

Sophists peddling intro-tier stuff as arcane knowledge to ease suckers into the 'robot jesus' cult. It actually worked on Sam Harris, Thiel, so I guess Yud and his followers deserve some credit.

>Eliezer "(((Shlomo)))" Yudkowsky
What baffles me is how nobody has sold the book for profit, altering the names to avoid copyright infringement. In hindsight, this is where he really fucked up. He shouldn't have made it a fanfic.

When wacky Sillicon Valley moguls blow a small fortune up your ass for "research" on how to beat skynet, there isn't even any need to go all E. L. James with your shitty fic I suppose. Probably wouldn't have sold all that well anyway. At least James had kinky content for drawing in sexually frustrated housewives. Yud's writing has all the sex appeal of a dusty turd.

But this book isn't protected by anything. I could literally send this to a publisher, get it distributed, and receive royalties for doing nothing but tweaking the names of the characters and locations. Yudkowsky can't even offer a rebuttal because it's a fanfiction to begin with.

>t. internet sociopath with low c who won’t follow up on his posturing

I share with them their intellectual curiosity but at the same time I can't but dislike them. Their ideology strikes me as cold, detached, mechanistic and rigid. It is a severe caricature of autism expressed as ideology.

They are very non-biological, thinking the brain is detached from the body.
At the same time a lot of intellectual minded and curious young people flock to them which I can relate to, and not all seem to think like their high-priests.

Part of my view on the rationalists has been shaped by my interaction with them, which is largely negative. We were in disagreement about science and other ways of seeing the world, while on Veeky Forums it is different and I'm regularely accussed of being a logical-positivist.

Then there's the Dark Enlightenment. Moldbug is also your typical dork. But that offspring of the rationalists has some romanticism to it, even if it is dark, rather nasty, and doomy.

Ironic how the Dark Enlightenment has been fully infiltrated by neonazis, or perhaps they were that all along.

Maybe another schizm will happen. I do think they are both interesting cultural movements to follow. I've also followed, and interacted with, anarchists and communists but they do not seem to innovate that much at all. The communists always struck me as dogmatic and hyperconservative.

Then there's what has grown out of tumblr. Innovative in certain ways, but largely negative of science. They stick with 'theory'.

I find it interesting how this develops and am curious in a few years from now what movements will survive and which not, what they will morph into and so on.

I like all those rationalist people. They are honest autistic high IQ types who get insulted relentlessly for encroaching on the turf of bullshiters in humanities. Seeing women or humanities majors try to chip in with "But these naive rationalists have not considered the effects of gender / race / GRAND TRANSCENDENTAL EXOERIENCES" is embarrassing. You've spent all your life in university and learnt 0 science lmao

I like how yudkowsky unashamedly follows his own path. The idiots on lit are so spooked that even if they had the talent (however much) to write that type of Harry potter book (which would also require them to throw away enough pretentiousness to be able to cope with fanfiction and just write for, gasp, the enjoyment) they'd never published it due to being so pretentious and socially conditioned that they would submit it to publishers instead of self publishing.

Not to say I agree with everything. The SlateStarCodex guy seems to use statistics as masturbation and the yudkowsky weight loss pic is obviously dumb. But they are ten million times better and smarter than history or English major intellectuals

Not familiar with the author, but I generally view "popular culture thing and philosophy" title scheme to a pretty decent red flag

Rationalists need formulas to express thought processes that come to normal people simply through intuition.

Has he given a thoroughly calculated argument as to why diet and exercise are not acceptable approaches?

This guy pretty much sums up everything wrong about LessWrong

archive.li/LkGSg

>In the 21st century OP views being self taught as a hindrance on ability or knowledge.
Kill yourself and stop this appeal to authority.

I remember Bond, he wrote some nice polemics. Why did he nuke his site anyway?

Roko's Basilisk is one of the greatest memes ever created, so at least he has that going for him.

>you must contribute to a superintelligent machine's creation if you know about it, else when it's created in the future it's gonna torture millions of replicas from YOOUUUUUU
>oh and this machine, even though it's from the future, can totally predict how you were and how you acted as both of you were completely rational

I love how guys like this are so concerned with superintelligent godlike machines...when AI itself has been stuck as a glorified data science tool for years, and no one has solved the problem of how to make the machine have intentionality and abstraction. AGI's been dead for a while.

This reads like it was written by a highschooler casually trying to show off tidbits of knowledge he gained from clicking through Wikipedia links.

There was a hilarious critique of this shit written by a physicist but I can't seem to find it.

That's not it at all, dumbass.

The whole point is that intuition is flawed and these formulas are the way you see the truth.
I hope for your sake you didn't completely get it backwards but was just a poor attempt at bait.

Found it.
danluu.com/su3su2u1/hpmor/

>"I used to teach undergraduates, and I would often have some enterprising college freshman (who coincidentally was not doing well in basic mechanics) approach me to talk about why string theory was wrong. It always felt like talking to a physics madlibs book. This chapter let me relive those awkward moments."

Calm down, Eli.

I think you deserve at least on (You) for this bait

What gets me is his typical little power display at the end.
>please give me advice but I warn you, this communications space is under my control and disapproved comments will be summarily executed

>jk rowling writes harry potter
>eli boy writes a fanfic, Methods Of Rationality
>hpatmor popularizes LessWrong
>out of the rationalists and LS comes moldbug and parts of the neoreaction
>nrx provides an intellectual basis for bannonite new-right/dissident rightism (kantbot-esque frogtwitter, /pol/ etc)
>rowling rails against the alt right on twitter
why is she such a hypocrite Veeky Forums?

i disagree with it. therefore, its bait. i disagree with it. therefore, its bait. i disagree with it. therefore,

it wasn't?
how embarrassing

epic willy wonka meme upvote!!

This thread is autistic, pseud shilling.

>Let’s talk about Hermoine
>The most explicitly feminist arc in this story is the arc where Hermione starts SPHEW, a group dedicated to making more wizarding heroines. The group starts out successful, gets in over their head, and Hariezer has to be called in to save the day (with the help of Quirrell).
>At the end of the arc, Hariezer and Dumbledore have a long conversation about whether or not they should have let Hermione and friends play their little bully fighting game- which feels a bit like retroactively removing the characters agency. Sure, the women got to play at their fantasy, but only at the whim of the real heroes.
>By the end of the story, Hermione is an indestructible part-unicorn/part-troll immortal. And what is she going to do with this power? Become Hariezer’s lab assistant, more or less. Be sent on quests by him. It just feels like Hermione isn’t really allowed to grow into her own agency in a meaningful way.
>This isn’t to say that it’s intentional (pretty much the only character with real, proactive agency in this story is Quirrell) - but it does feel like women get the short end of the stick here.

fucking brutal takedown.
uh, misogyNERD much? reactionary much? pissbaby? dudebro? ugh, yikes, this REEKS of gamergate

Fits well considering the topic.

Do you have any actual points of refutation or disagreement, or are you just ree-ing?

im a sexist gamerbro like yudkowsky, giving women the short end of the stick like a total sexist bro... cant come up w/ any refutations for such scorching critiques cuz deep inside im nothing but................ thats right, a sexist gamergate....... .

im extremely sure this tumblr scientist that A. owns sexist racists and B. discovered the higgs field and has 3 phds and gets his dick (which is big) sucked every day is very real. hes a real person who doesnt lie, especially when the piss babys r getting dunked on epic style

>The whole point is that intuition is flawed and these formulas are the way you see the truth.
Exactly.

Jesus, he's almost worse than Yudkowsky. Rationalism = bad because mean opinions.

Eh, it interesting to read. It's a good, but not great fanfic

I love skepticism, I loathe 'Skeptics'.

Subhuman

The guy has an obvious and massive leftist slant for sure, but his analysis is still largely spot on. He only fails to note that (((Eliezer))) almost embodies the archetype of the Jewish con artist. I'm not aware the "research" of his "institute" has yielded anything of value whatsoever and yet he' swimming in millions of dollars. If nothing else, he sure is a successful parasite.

t. retard
His analysis of the singularity institute as a scam is spot on.

Of course his analysis is accurate, it's the inevitable descent into moralism that drags the rest of the writing down.
ya think?

mental illness

>it's the inevitable descent into moralism that drags the rest of the writing down.
Author disagree with me on political issues, my feefees are hurt.
Also, how the fuck is the descent into moralism "inevitable"?

they don't recognize the reality of emotions. they're trapped in their own box.

that said, they're mostly good people... really good people. I'd trust the slate star codex guy to be my doctor, if not my psychiatrist.

But it's the same thing with reddit and Veeky Forums. I'd rather have a redditor as my neighbor, even though they're not as interesting to talk to...

>Author disagree with me on political issues, my feefees are hurt.
Exactly, it ruins and otherwise poignant analysis.
>Also, how the fuck is the descent into moralism "inevitable"?
Stevie does it in almost every article I've seen by him. Except the ad hominem one, which is honestly pretty good.

of fucking course its a scam

but who cares really

Is this real? It's exactly what I'd expect the bugboy that wrote this autistic fanfic to be like.

>Eliezer Shlomo Yudkowsky
You've got to be fucking kidding me?

#
>self-framing urself as neutral
>roundabout passive aggressive political e-wars
>feefees (meme vocab from the guys that brought u 2 gender jokes and triggered but, like, totally co opted. epic win)
>also how the FUCK (swears like this make the post more aggressive but u wouldnt call him a faggot or anything thats homophobic, redditors do this all the time to signal hostility for up boats from their team) [retarded menial semantics]
no reddit here just a neutral guy owning pissbabies

He's a super-autist cult leader.

Kind of entertaining, but shouldn't be taken seriously.

Because it is utterly unreadable garbage and the only reason anyone has read any of it is because of the name, you dip.

>I could literally send this to a publisher, get it rejected
fixed that for you

It's funny because it's true. But it's also sad because he gets away with it anyway.

But wouldn't you agree that it's better to have someone distribute some "intro tier" critical thought rather than not? You got to remember, in America almost half the population still believes the Earth to be a couple thousand years old and that Jesus was riding on dinosaurs. Even as bumbling as they are, the rationalists are doing important work. Baby steps but still steps in the right direction.