Where should I start?

Where should I start?

Other urls found in this thread:

youtu.be/EEDf7OkRCxk
twitter.com/NSFWRedditGif

who is he?

new horizons (hes wrong about everything)

Some guy who got interview by Ali G

El Aleph

Syntactic Structures.
Afterwards, read Studies on Semantics in Generative Grammar.
Ignore his published political rants.

This, stick to linguistics Noam

what are you interested in?

>try to start with Noam Chomsky, the Dershowitz Destroyer, the Friend of Finkelstein, AKA Big Man Linguistics
>can't figure out where to start with him
>try to find a list of his published writings
>297 books
>okay
>divide these into linguistics and politics
>start indexing the political books
>exactly 97% are just rambling interviews or talks he's given that were transcribed by other people and published with catchy titles even though they rehash the same material as the last ten books, often literally the exact same material
>okay, cut those out, new category: actual books, containing actual original content
>get it down to Manufacturing Consent and like two other books
>they're mostly derivative, the documentary is actually more useful than the book
>surprised to find no real sociological or critical analysis of ideology, Chomsky can't seem to get past the journalistic level of analysis
>what the hell, isn't this guy supposed to be like the doyen of critiquing the American plutocratic mediopoly?
>find out his politics is "anarcho-syndicalist" but he has no idea what this actually means, AKA he has some vague idea of self-organizing and intermittently defends heinous mass murderers, but he also ALWAYS tells you to vote American establishment (????) and was anti-Brexit
>okay maybe his linguistic work is better
>read up on his more recent stuff, the Minimalist Program
>absolutely worthless, shallow, lacks any interdisciplinary connections
>okay well what about his big thing BTFOing the behaviorists?
>turns out their paradigm was never really dominant
>he's obviously just rehashing Kant vs. extreme Lockean sensationalists
>dig furiously to find any evidence Chomsky understands this transcendental turn, the most significant moment in modern philosophy, and its obvious mirroring of his work
>find barely any references of Chomsky to Kant, always tangential and revealing no actual understanding of Kant
>finally find Chomsky directly being asked the Kant question by someone who would clearly understand the resonance: Bryan McGee, in an old interview
>McGee poses the question
>Chomsky: "UMMM DERRRR DUHHHH I PREFER THE CAMBRIDGE NEOPLATONISTS.. THE.. THE CAMBRIDGE NEOPLATONISTS NEED TO BE STUDIED MORE. ERM... I LIKE HUME.."
>McGee: "?????"
>Chomsky has literally never fucking read Kant
>Chomsky's ONLY philosophical training is the old schoolboy rough-and-ready analytic "Locke then Hume then modern science" version of the history of philosophy, AKA, none
>he has spent almost a fucking century purporting to study the origins and essential nature of language in human cognition and he's never found an afternoon to brief himself on even rudimentary philosophy of mind
>his political philosophy has NO PRAXIS WHATSOEVER and he's 101% pro-establishment in everything
>his "theory" of elites manipulating society is on the level of an undergrad who took one sociology class

Is Noam Chomsky the best example of an intellectual fraud and establishment huckster?

Wait until you discover Freud

the day user discovered jews

elaborate bait 7/10

>tries to discourage people from studying his contributions to linguistics
>tries to obfuscate his vital coverage of US establishment tactics and US support of atrocities abroad
>tries to obfuscate his balanced understanding of Israel
>tries to obfuscate his destruction of market ideology
>tries obfuscate his deconstruction of cold war fear mongering
wow i wonder who could he behind this post?
Freud is iron clad dumb nigger 90% of what he said is absolutely true
its not bait its just jealousy

chomskys "books" are mostly just decades of long-winded newspaper op-ed pieces. other than this there is fans like akpress collecting "essays" and speeches and publishing them. chomsky is incredibly overrated meme status, but is sycophants will just call him "accessible" and most of what comes out of his mouth becomes irrelevant in a couple years.

if you want to read about what chomsky felt about current events in a couple year span just pick a date and choose those published then.

also is conclusion you will find noam's constant is just "muh foreign policy is shit". this is chomskys contribution to the world, how america sucks. he has never saved a life, put out a fire, given someone a job, or cast out demons. he is rich though, by shitposting about america sucks and kibbutzim rules, even though he lived in kibbutzim and left because of how stupid it is.

>cast out demons

>Manufacturing Consent
>Hegemony or Survival
>Profits Over People

In that order.

Understanding Power

>turns out their [behaviourist] paradigm was never really dominant
it was absolutely dominant in experimental psychology for decades. chomsky's BTFO paper states the obvious to a sophisticated contemporary reader, but at the time it was considered valuable as a theoretical critique. but yeah, it wasn't the sudden reversal of the tide that simpletons make it out to be. neuroscience and AI research programs (both of which are totally alien to the paradigm of behaviourism) were already well on their way i believe. people just have an addiction to drama and an aversion to nuanced interpretations of historical currents, leading to the lionization of popular figures.

>purporting to study the origins and essential nature of language in human cognition and he's never found an afternoon to brief himself on even rudimentary philosophy of mind
wouldn't surprise me. more annoyingly, he spawned an entire school of psychology and psycholinguistics trying to prove his simple-minded view of the relationship between linguistic constructions and mental processes

The worst thing about this post is that it's correct.

What does he says about Behaviourism?

read his review of Skinner

Skinner tried to explain verbal behaviour (what normalfags call language) purely as a function of reinforcement. In the same way that you can teach a mouse, step by step, to solve an elaborate maze by giving it treats everytime it makes a correct turn, so that it eventually performs all these steps one after another to reach the end, so to can you teach a child to speak by reinforcing correct utterances.
Chomsky basically made the point that all humans seem to acquire language equally well regardless of their particular "history of reinforcement" (i.e., whether you grow up in buckingham palace or in a crack den , you WILL learn how to speak english). Also, kids seem to learn language pretty well without hardly any reinforcement - it just happens.

Yeah, and the more you study these jews you realize nearly every single one is a fraud whose work is usually meaningless and who was promoted as a great thought leader only because they were promoted by other powerful jews. This is 95% of all jewish intellectuals. Chomsky is particularly loathsome since he loves to critique US hegemony while lying about how that hegemony has been used almost entirely to benefit jews and Israel. Typical jewish tricks. Remember, jews are con artists from the Levant, they are not Europeans, they are pretending to be Europeans to obtain power for their tribe but they fundamentally don't think like us, in terms of wanting to advance knowledge and improve society -- jews don't give two shits about that.

>Freud is iron clad dumb nigger 90% of what he said is absolutely true
This is how I know you're a dumbass. Ever heard of shit like "refrigerator moms"? What the hell is the ego, the superego and the id, and where do you find them? How does the oedipus complex fit in with the Westermarck effect, and the death wish with evolutionary theory? Why is blaming one's family for one's problems damn near axiomatic and mandatory?
>dude dreams lmao!
This isn't even getting into the fact that arguments in favor of Freudianism are mostly circular - if you disagree, it's proof that you're neurotic/repressed, so you need to undergo some therapy. Absurd shit.

It doesn't sound like you ever got around to reading him.

He read Manufacuring Consent at the minimum.

He claims to have read "Manufacturing consent and like two other books." I read the 100 pages or so of Manufacturing Consent (The Introduction, the El Salvador chapter and the Vietnam chapter) WITH the footnotes. I even checked a few for fun. This is how you get a feel for the extraordinary scholarship that produces the work. Although the introduction contains the theoretical, general ideas of the book (the "Propoganda Model") the authors set the book up as a kind of empirical test. "If the propoganda model is true, here is what we should see because..." They then use actual data on journalistic media to show that the propaganda model works. It's very tedious but the steadfast methodology makes the book.

This same poster claims to be a fan of Norman Finkelstein, a strong advocate of close reading and source checking.

I don't buy it. He seems to have spent more time watching Youtubes than reading, the "like one or two other books" notwithstanding.

He read Manufactuing Conset at least.

I don’t know much about Chomsky, is this an actual BTFOing

not even a little

>I get my intellectual information from the 4chins

no its not and its specifically targeted at him so people don’t fucking absorb what he said that was useful

it's fairly accurate, you can do most of the research yourself by looking at chomsky's bibliography

Start with Culture of Critique, then study the failures of communism in places like Cambodia, which chomsky defends to this day.

>Freud is iron clad dumb nigger 90% of what he said is absolutely true
The absolute stat of lit

I will never understand why he became famous and how he isn't ridiculed for his pop-political philosophy works/mindset.

He became famous for his linguistics.
He isn't ridiculed because all americlap political discourse is a shitshow anyway.

>behaviorism was dominant in experimental psychology

Well no shit, how do you engage in experimental psychology outside a behaviorist model?

The Responsibility of Intellectuals
American Power and the New Mandarins
Volumes 1 & 2 of The Political Economy of Human Rights - particularly important for when the shills start screeching lies about him and Cambodia
Fateful Triangle
Turning the Tide
Manufacturing Consent
Detering Democracy
Rogue States
9/11
Hegemony or Survival
Failed States
Who Rules the World?

On Anarchism

>>they're mostly derivative, the documentary is actually more useful than the book
No its not, the book lays out the precepts and goes through them
>>surprised to find no real sociological or critical analysis of ideology, Chomsky can't seem to get past the journalistic level of analysis
Yes there is, the ideology of state power and the right to use it
>>find out his politics is "anarcho-syndicalist" but he has no idea what this actually means, AKA he has some vague idea of self-organizing
Workers self management
He's an anarchist - he isn't going to lay down exacting details for people to follow
>defends heinous mass murderers
Now you're just trolling
>but he ALWAYS tells you to vote American establishment
Liar. He has nuance about making changes in a system.
>ranting about obscure philosophy
don't for get to tip

Congrats on reading the wiki on Freud.
The modern world is based on his findings, you bought a specific brand of smartphone because some white collars used Freud's knowledge to sell you shit. Your life is directed by people that have intensive knowledge on the unconscious.

You're kike, aren't you?

Alright, so Freud discovered that the uncoscious exists, cool. The problem is that his entire theory of it is wrong and based on bullshit.

well, most exp psychologists would be incredulous about skinner's claim that "you can't invoke mental processes in trying to explain behaviour", because they invoke all sorts of mental processes.

i'm the nigga who wrote that post, but your comment just made me realize that a lot of the people (definitely the chompster, but also mainstream cog scientists) don't even get under the deeper philosophical meaning of behaviourism.
what skinner meant by "mental events" is very different than what most mean by "mental events" and I think it's ironic that the neural network/connectionist/PDP revolution of the 80s actually represents a move back to behaviorism

holy fuck user, thanks for that comment

Nice BTFO, I will copy and save it.
REQUIRED WATCHING
>Meet Naom Chomsky, Academic Gatekeeper
youtu.be/EEDf7OkRCxk

I want to tell you a story.
Bout the little gnome in their home.

Good posts, check my digits

Honestly though I would say that you could skip Syntactic Structures and Aspects and just start with the later Principles and Parameters stuff like Lectures on Government and Binding and Barriers. All the important stuff that carries over from the earlier theories is still there...

But really if you are interested in learning about Generative Syntax I would NOT start with Chomsky. I would first read some of the Chomsky translators:

Vivian Cook's book Chomsky's Universal Grammar is a great place to start. It gives a good overview and history of the development of his ideas, but with a decent about of depth and specific examples for an intro to the theory

And after that some good textbooks are Carnie and Adger (two separate books, I don't remember the exact titles now, but you can search either name + "syntax" and you'll find it

Howard Lasnik is also a good Chomsky translator

Then later you could read:

Lectures on Government and Binding (it's a syntax book not politics btw)

Remarks on Nominalization

Barriers

Minimalist Theory