All my friends bought their dad Meditations for christmas

All my friends bought their dad Meditations for christmas

Is this a new normie meme?

Tell me something about your dad, user.

Society's outlook is changing from nihilism to stoicism, a natural progression

>All my friends bought their dad Meditations
Epictetus's The Enchiridion is the intro to stoicism book. Meditations is only an interesting read from a history / military book.

>Is this a new normie meme?
General Mattis carried a copy of it throughout his deployment. So it might become a normie meme.

I know how this sounds but you really can't appreciate the meditations without a strong understanding of Roman history. Its very heavy with period language like: "“not to be a Green or a Blue, not to support the parmularius or the scutarius".

You have some very gay friends.

I bought my dad Sarte the christmas before he killed himself. coincidence?

yes so is Stoicism its just bug man grasping for panaceas. Incredibly shallow faggotry. If you cared about your father’s mind you’d buy him Wittgenstein, Plato, Nietzsche, Heidegger, Aristotle, Kant books.

I bought my dad a bottle of liquor

I think knot!

>Epictetus's The Enchiridion is the intro to stoicism book. Meditations is only an interesting read from a history / military book.
That's interesting, I fell for the meditations meme a few years ago and the edition that I bought (in French) has the enchiridion in it, and I found it way more interesting indeed.

Meditations is Marcus Aurelius' personal notebook, it wasn't written as a philosophical treatise. It really shouldn't be anyone's introduction to Stoicism.

>I found it way more interesting indeed.
That's because the meditations are just a collection of the emperors private meditations and personal journals. They were never meant to be published and are somewhat incoherent.

From a historical perspective it's an incredible read because it gives an honest look inside the mind of one of Romes greatest emperors but as a philosophical work it's supplementary reading.

Stoicism isn't real philosophy its a numbing agent. Its expressly designed to make living in a cruel world better. it has nothing to do with the pursuit of knowledge or wisdom at all. Its akin to hedonism or utilitarianism in this respect. There's a reason that no one in academia, even the cookier fucks, gives it any credence. Its memes for plebs and non-intellectuals. It requires no capacity for abstract thought. Also borders on immoral

Jokes on you, my dad already owns it and Epictetus' book

this

maybe this

I can't imagine having my dad read Meditations. I might get it for my son if I've failed him, but your dad has to be a failure to be eighteen+years older than you and needing to read Meditations.

Please stop spreading this typical anti-Stoicism retardation found in every thread about the topic

This is what normal people buy their fathers. This, Cigars, and Military History books.

>Stoicism isn't real philosophy its a numbing agent. Its expressly designed to make living in a cruel world better.
Yep. Pretty much.

>There's a reason that no one in academia, even the cookier fucks, gives it any credence.
Because academics live an easy life and have no need for it.

YES BECAUSE I SEE YOU FAGGOTS POSTING MEDITATIONS THREADS EVERY SINGLE FUCKING DAY OF THE YEAR

>not to be a Green or a Blue, not to support the parmularius or the scutarius
i haven't even read this, but does this mean much more than "don't take sides for the sake of taking sides as plebs do"?
>t.not autistic

Explain

Greens and Blues were Roman sports teams.
Parmularius and Scutaius were different styles of gladiatorial combat like karate and kung fu.

Some upper middle class Romans would dedicate their entire lives to arguing over and betting on what fighting style was best.

If he were saying this in modern day it would read:
It's important not to waste time fighting over who is best girl or whether or not LoL is more hardcore then DOTA 2.

>everyone reads meditations
>society calms down and live within its nature

its a good meme, we should make evola the next meme

>Greens and Blues were Roman sports teams.
>If he were saying this in modern day it would read: It's important not to waste time fighting over who is best girl or whether or not LoL is more hardcore then DOTA 2.
Or, you know, Green and Blue sports teams.

Justinian should have read meditations.

what a cute little animay girlie

That sounds like a really thoughtful gift. If my kid got me that I'd be ecstatic.

Tim Ferris (reddit-y self help guru) talks about stoicism a lot. I think that's why.