My mom told me to buy this guy's book for my father this christmas. I never heard of him

My mom told me to buy this guy's book for my father this christmas. I never heard of him.

Who is him, what do you think of it Veeky Forums?

which book?

>buy this guy's book
"my struggle" is 6 books
its ok, maybe the only decent autobiography in the last ten years or so, I wouldn't call it a classic or exceptionally noteworthy

I just realized that. Apparently it's book 5 Some Rain Must Fall.

Well, I guess abort mission, one would like to read the others before that or no?

My father is very into literature and a writer himself. His favourite authors are Proust, Joyce, Musil, Dostoievksy, Saramago, Kafka, Beckett. He also likes guys like Auster, Machado, Coetzee, Calvino, etc. My mother heard about Knausgard's book as something about writing itself and thought it was a good idea. I don't know, what do you think?

Do you have something else to recommend? He has read a bunch of stuff already, we are really drawing a blank, whatever we buy him for christmas is going to have to wait in line for him to finish the books he is already reading now.

Otherwise we will just get him clothes or something boring like that.

the first book of the my struggle series is very good imo if he hasn't already read it

if not, based on those books and people i know irl i'll arbitrarily recommend mason & dixon

My Struggle is mostly about Karl's daddy issues, so maybe your mom's trying to tell you something...

So was this guy going for a kind of reality show exposé in book form or is he actually a good writer? I've been reading the descriptions of his books and considering taking the dive but desu none of them sound too appealing. Is the prose good?

That my father has daddy issues?

>His favourite authors are Proust, Joyce, Musil, Dostoievksy, Saramago, Kafka, Beckett. He also likes guys like Auster, Machado, Coetzee, Calvino, etc.
Dayum, your father is patrician as fuck. My father basically just watches tv.

You're dad sounds cool.

>My father is very into literature and a writer himself.

Damn, this gave me the feels. Who else here /neverliveuptotheirparents/-tier?

Knausgaard is great, personal tale with great depth, literary and philosophical and indeed revolver around the question about writing itself and its relationship to life. It's an autofiction, but he discusses the literary canon you mentioned throughout (Proust, Joyce, Musil, Kafka, Beckett, etc.)

IMO book 6 is def best.

Thank you, user. Do you think you can read them out of order? I talked to my mom and she told me she heard that book 5 goes more in debt about writing.

>father is a writer
>more in debt

English is not my first language and sometimes I write things as I hear the vowels. The other day I wrote "are" instead of "I". I don't know man, I'm just retarded.

at least we agree on you being retired

>Karl please if you won't stop writing I'll leave you
>"okay, that's fine"
>Consider us done then
>"Alright"
>Finishes his book
>you wanna meet us at the train station?
>"Yeah sure"
The only time he turn a little alpha is when it's writing time.

that's dave grohl mate
it's a pretty good biography actually

Yeah, your write

I BTFO out of my father so hard I actually feel bad

book 6 is the worst desu
read them in order

>>>/plebbit/

Read them out of order.

You can buy some of his fiction, or one of the season books, though i'm not sure if they're translated.

The prose is very good.

>My mom told me to buy this guy's book for my father this christmas
Your father is garbage and she wants him to realise it. She's afraid to do it herself.

Book 6 is generally considered one of the worst.
Reading them out of order is a bad idea.

The prose is bad on a technical level, but somehow transcends its technical badness and carries you along wonderfully. It's very comfy.

I don't know about the english translation, but it's pretty great and seamless in norwegian, whilst still being pretty straight forward.
It's not like he has a real unique poetic voice or anything, but i'd be lying if i said it wasn't written well.

book 6 is great though

You just KNOW

Holy shit, both are extremely handsome