Complete works of Plato

>Complete works of Plato
>Complete works of Aristotle
Give me a single reason to engage with philosophy beyond this. I won't gain any new insight, just more speculation.

>I won't gain any new insight, just more speculation.
Geez, you obviously haven't read Plato then.

>Give me a single reason to engage with philosophy beyond this.
You will never understand Plato by reading his corpus alone. You need to work through secondary sources. Many, many of them.. honestly you are probably too brainlet for this. Prove me wrong. I dare you.

>needs secondaries to explain philosophy to him
>calls others brainlets

Good luck to you.

>reading philosophy

Just add Aquinas and you're good

I'm genuinely curious why you think you need secindary sources.

t. Reads Attic

I enjoy reading contemporary texts to explain the references that Socrates makes and what makes them relevant to the philosophy.

Reading someone else's interpretation helps you better form and articulate your own.

What are the best secondary books to read alongside plato and aristotle?

books aren't super accessible in my country so I have to choose carefully which books I order from the states and pay out the ass for shipping

Without Augustine you're wrong.
Read at least Kierkegaard and yeah thats about as far as it goes.

Because it's liberating to gain knowledge of different ways of thinking. It frees you from the constrains of what you only so far know.

they didn’t go beyond good and evil and species, forms and essences are for retards who think reality can be pinned down. at the very least into daoism or basic analytics

You must read the rest for the sole purpose of dismantling it.

Plato is the one true God, and Aristotle is his prophet.

It is our destiny to research "the rest" so that we may properly correct people and show them the errors of their ways.

Plotinus and proclus

After that there is no need

>having this image saved on your computer
>posting on Veeky Forums
>posting on Veeky Forums
>using the internet

Because Aristotle is 100% common sense and then whack ass pseudo science and Plato leads to idealist pyramid schemes.

Kong Fuzi is p cool and requires actual engagement to understand desu.

if this isn't a troll its just plain sad

It's not enough to read Plato and Aristotle alone. You also need to know their opponents they were arguing against.

You’re a dumbass. There were hardly any ‘opponents’ in the Platonic dialogues, other than sophists. Go ahead who was an ‘opponent’ that Plato argues against?

They are often implied in the topics he covers. This is why I said you need to explicitly know them or else you are reading an old man ranting on a market.

Sure but they are usually an empirical example to justify an overall point. He references characters from The Iliad constantly? Are you seriously insinuating that you need to have read all of that epic in order to understand the points he is making? That is absurd.

Just like that then, you really don’t need to know many of the people Plato is referencing in order to understand the points he is trying to make in conjunction with them.

>it is like he was referencing his known cosmos
I even go that far that you need to study ancient greek, brainlet