Just got pic related. should i go in blind? bought on a whim

just got pic related. should i go in blind? bought on a whim.

Sure, go for it. It's a bit difficult but nothing you can't handle. Keep in mind that it was supposed to be released in 5 separate parts.

If you like 3000-word sentences, go for it

Who doesn't?

is anything lost in the translation?

I haven't read an english translation of this so I don't know. If I remember correctly, some dialogue that was supposed to be in dialect wasn't shown as such, but I might be wrong. It's probably not a big deal, though. 2666 has been memed a lot around here.

I read the original in spanish, and I assume that bolaño use of regional dialect for some characters has been lost.
Also I have heard several times that the translator had no ides that there were jokes on the text.

That was the part where I realized I loved it.

i would imagine spanish to english would be one of the easier language translations.

I went in blind and I'm on page 300 something. I'm really enjoying it so far.

the savage detectives is better.

No it isnt

This, but also this

Finished reading it lately but which book do I get next from Bolano?

Part 5>Part3>Part1>Part 2>Part 4

I have good knowledge of european spanish, but not quite native-level mastery. Do you think I'll have a hard time reading this?

Probably not, but most of the slang that i remember is from latin america so it probably be a little confusing without looking at the meaning.

Did you even read the notes from the heirs and the editors??? It was all one novel to begin with. It was not supposed to be released in 5 parts. Bolaño knew he was dying and he only wanted it to be split up because he thought 5 novels would make more money for his family than one.

He doesn't hold a candle to Beckett in this department. Level up lil nigga

Read the savage detectives first.

Of course. All translations will lose something. But that doesn't mean it won't be a fantastical experience.

>Bolaño knew he was dying and he only wanted it to be split up because he thought 5 novels would make more money for his family than one
So, one might say... One novel in five parts?

you mean fantastic, not fantastical. those aren't the same word you idiot.

>15 hours ago
Anyway, since you liked Part 5 the most go read Nazi Literature in the Americas and Chile By Night.
Yeah, but you should re-read it later if you plan to read more Bolaño. 2666 is the culmination of everything he did, as each part covers a different aspect of the themes he explored in his past works.

Also, Part 5 > 4 > 1 > 3 > 2

>should i go in blind
have you bought a braille version or something? fucking retard

Is this book good? What makes in good?

*it

I've always said to people, read Amulet first, then Savage Detectives, then 2666. Of course this isn't a necessity at all, it just allows a person a taste of what they're going to be getting at the end of the process. Too many people here get caught up with "primers" to certain authors or litary movements. Just try to read the book, see what happens. It's really that easy.

context, backgroud, reviews, guides

fucking asshole

that's a perfectly correct order of tiers, congratulations

imo part 4 shoulve been a lot shorter

Bump...
Is the book actually amazing? In all honesty, I need an expert to give me an opinion and overview.

this is fairly good advice, you may want to fit By Night in Chile in between Amulet and Sav Dicks but that's on you.

Why do you try so hard to distance yourself from your brothers down south, it's the same spanish

Yes, first real book i read of my own volition. Started me on reading more. Ill revisit it someday but youre not missing anything by not supplementing it. Maybe read a little borges in between.

Still no one answers........
is this book good and why? Elaborate. From someone who's read 900 or whatever pages

Damn I don't know who you are and why you're such a pussy but yea it is very good because Bolano is an engaging and fearless writer capable of tackling interesting themes: love, corruption, femicide, societal hierarchies and societal roles. There are others he touches upon obviously but these are the main ones I recall.

Also, Merry Christmas :)