So the two colleges I got accepted into both mailed me two separate copies of the Illiad...

So the two colleges I got accepted into both mailed me two separate copies of the Illiad. Which one should I read over Winter Break?

Both. It's a good book desu.

Lattimore

Lattimore

Check out that companion based on his translation maybe

Why would a college mail you a copy of the Iliad?

Welcome to Reed College

Lattimore

the one from the college you're going to.

Fagles, but everyone here somehow thinks the Pope translation is also worth reading, so anything remotely contemporary will probably trigger their autisms

Reed and what other college

Lattimore or you're a fucking idiot like

I'm smarter than you, buddy.

Because he's lying

Pope is for LARPERs. Fagles is literaly high school tier. Based Lattimore has long since dwelt in the Heaven of the Forms.

lattimore, but just learn greek

To make you feel compelled to pick it over other colleges.

Pope is for people who want to read Pope, Lattimore is for people who want to read Homer in translation.

disclaimer: I have never read either of them.

Welcome to St. John’s.
Lattimore you queer.

Lattimore is shit lol.

Flip a coin and pick one, OP. Eventually you'll have to read a 2nd and 3rd translation, if you don't learn greek.

oh snap i would not be surprised if it was reed. if someone offers you reefer just say no, OP.

If you don't enjoy the Pope or Dryden translations than you don't like Neo-classicism in general because they are it's peak, from that I'd also be willing to bet you don't really like the Romantics either. In which case I wouldn't take your opinion on poetry to seriously. Interesting fact Pope
>is the second-most frequently quoted writer in The Oxford Dictionary of Quotations after Shakespeare.[1]
I'd say it's best to read Lattimore or Fitzgerald first, than come back to Pope for the re-read. Just not Fagles

This. Also prepare yourself for SJWs to come into your class, shit themselves, and refuse to let you learn anything that isn't written by WOC. #wokelyfe

ev rieu (penguin classics, $5 on amazon) then fagles then lattimore

Are those RAR fucks still doing that?

literally nobody here says that

oh right ill just go and become a classical scholar, give me 5 minutes

>Sending the Iliad not Milk and Honey
Bullshit colleges are for plebs

kek

LMAO

I honestly do think Fagles is better. Everyone says Lattimore is the best because he's line for line accurate, but does he capture the rapidity of Homer, the feeling that the lines just move you along? I don't think he does, but I think Fagles was the first translation to really capture the MOVEMENT of homeric verse.

I feel like when looking at the principles put forth by Matthew Arnold: "that he is eminently rapid; that he is eminently plain and direct both in the evolution of his thought and in the expression of it, that is, both in his syntax and in his words; that he is eminently plain and direct in the substance of his thought, that is, in his matter and ideas; and, finally, that he is eminently noble" - I feel like Robert Fagles really captures this. One of my favorite passages:

Now with the squadrons marshaled, captains leading each,
the Trojans came with cries and the din of war like wildfowl
when the long hoarse cries of cranes sweeps on against the sky
and the great formations flee from winter's grim ungodly storms,
flying in force, shrieking south to the Ocean gulfs, speeding
blood and death to the Pygmy warriors, launching at daybreak
savage battle down upon their heads. But Achaea's armies
came on strong in silence, breathing combat-fury,
hearts ablaze to defend each other to the death.

b-but, its literallay high-school tier

Lattimore for accuracy, Fitzgerald for beauty, Pope for Pope and Fagels if you are mentally challenged/underaged.

Fitzgerald is a better (poetry) version of Fagles, in fact Fagles Homer was done as a more accisble version of that...Anthony Verity (the Oxford version) is also worth a look as a modern equivalent of Lattimore

Why does everyone hate Fagles so much?

t. underage larper who puts his play-pretend Spenser in the poetry critique threads.

From this thread I gathered it should be fagles.

Because he's accessible and made the fight scenes genuinely exciting

I've read Lattimore, Fagles and Pope
You picked a good passage, but Fagles often uses contemporary word choice and sacrifices tension for this "flow," which might as well be prose. Fagles was the first I picked up and I could immediately tell something was wrong, OP just a book from each and decide for yourself, it should be intuitive.

t. Pseud who only reads a book to be able to say that he has read it.

But it makes sense he would use contemporary word choice, after all, Homer's poetry was about rapidly flowing, you are not really supposed to stop and double-back and parse what something meant. I think Fagles captures that better than anyone

Reminder Fagles is LITERALLY the plebeian version fit for highschoolers.

how is being accessible bad? explain that right now.

harry potter is accessible but hardly gies you the experience of Homer

that was a lazy side-step, what's wrong with accessibility

You didn't answer his question. How is being accessible bad?

Fagles' introduction then Lattimore

Maybe highschoolers have it right.

If you even have to ask why being accessible is bad then you more or less forfeit your opinion on the matter

Okay, I forfeit my opinion on the matter. Why is being accessible bad?

i see that nat king cole christmas cd

Because it implicitly requires lesser quality. If a 14 year old or YA fag can understand it then it isn't far off from YA

But being accessible is inherently Homeric

nothing wrong with accessibility per se, but when accuracy is sacrificed in its name theres a problem with that

Are you equating inaccessibility with quality? Are you sure you want to do that? Lattimore's translation is obviously less accessible than Fagle's, but that's because Lattimore truer to the text, while Fagles has a clearer artistic vision. Fagle's translation isn't a dumbed down Iliad; it's only more accessible because it's less direct.
The purpose of Fagle's work is different than that of Lattimore.

I agree with this, whcih is why is so important that women and non-binary scholars continue to shape our evolving view of Homer and the classics

>Are you equating inaccessibility with quality? Are you sure you want to do that?
In this case yes.
>The purpose of Fagle's work is different than that of Lattimore
/thread, I think we're all on more or less the same page just with different opinions. This is Veeky Forums so I shill Pope because he's a massive figure in the English language in his own right

>the feeling that the lines just move you along? I don't think he does, but I think Fagles was the first translation to really capture the MOVEMENT of homeric verse.
Lattimore specifically does this. He even makes sure the consonance and assonance mirror each other. You've never heard the Greek (or looked at it for comparison)

I think you should read The Iliad over The Iliad, user.

Ironic, i love pope, and the romantics were the reason i got into poetry. I'm just not gonna taks seriously the Greek LARPings of a guy who got famous for devising the 18th century equivalent of a sex joke. At least be patrician enough to invoke Chapman if you want to be this much of a faggot.

Fuck i meant you. Not God damn mobile

Lol Pope wasn't a Romantic ya silly goose

Reed and St. John's (Santa fe)
I'm going to study classics at Reed if I go so the two are not so different. I hope I can be an advanced Veeky Forums poster by the end.

Reed sent me Latimore and St. John's Fagles. The reed box had confetti in it and a pencil + notebook. A "stronghold of Griffins" How in for it am I with the SJW stuff?

But I am a plebeian in high school.

>. At least be patrician enough to invoke Chapman if you want to be this much of a faggot.
Complete pseud opinion. Keats actually memed me into Chapman and I can say without a doubt he is lesser than Pope, who is prominent mostly for his didactic verse, not satire, which you are calling a sex joke...? Did you read it? And Pope was much less of a Greek Larper than Keats or Shelley, which isn't even a bad thing, especially if you're writing a fucking Greek epic.

Not him but try and keep up with the comment chain he is responding to because it fits in that context

I read Fagles first when I was in secondary school, and later in university read Anthony Verity's translation because my professor helped him with it. I definitely preferred Verity over Fagles, but I'm wondering how does Verity compare with Lattimore?

Read both

I would be embarrassed to admit I went to either of those schools. If you can't go to a real college you shouldent bother.

Left is Reed right?

You shouldn't have to deal with too much, if any, SJW stuff as a classics major. You might have to sit through a presentation or a lecture that momentarily deviates from a straight aristocratic man's perspective, but you'll survive.

made me think

so they should basically either slave away to get into elite schools or alternatively accept wage slavery and extremely low socio-sexual prospects and likely an early death in total poverty? Seems like a psychopathic proposition on your part user.

If you have to slave away to get into an elite school you should just kill yourself. Life as a brainlet isn't worth living.

>two of the most well known liberal arts colleges aren't real colleges

While St. John's isn't too famous, Reed is one of the most well known schools in Academia. Could you elaborate by what you mean by elite schools, give some examples, and explain why Reed doesn't qualify?

It's full of dykes, libtards and soyboys

>You might have to sit through a presentation or a lecture that momentarily deviates from a straight aristocratic man's perspective
OH GOD THE ABSOLUTE HORROR

>implying a classics major wants to hear about a post-marxist genderqueer critique of Crito

user, calm down. That's a reasonable point.

What do you guys think of Samuel Butler's translation?

Reed is a laughing stock that will take in any brainlet off the street. If you got less than 2000 on SAT/equivalent whatever school your going to is a joke.

>this cheap of bait

similar translation philosophy, Lattimore is the more talented poet though obvs

No one said he was retard. Follow the chain. Responding to an idiot who made three assumptions to defend muh Pope

DO NOT GO TO ST. JOHNS

Good luck with the sjws my friend

Why not St. John's?

I'm not explaining myself to this much of a faggot. You're wrong, and if you can't figure out why then you're shit out of luck kiddo

Reed has the highest percentage of graduates who go on to get phds out of any college in the country

I transferred out of Reed because it sucks for many reasons but pure academics is not one of them friendo

Anyone here go to Hampden-Sydney?

Well I'm convinced, thanks for your input.

I don't even know what you're trying to say

Don't go to St John's. A friend of mine went there for a semester but said it was a waste of time since most of the students didn't apply themselves, the seminars were full of kids shooting in the dark because they wouldn't go to the library before class and refer to the secondhand sources to guide their analysis. You will learn nothing there unless you're motivated enough to direct your own education. You could easily streamline the process and go to a university like the University of Dallas where teachers give lessons on the books you're reading at SJC, unless you're the type of person who enjoys figuring things out on your own. Do not waste your money, just go to Reed.

Just put on that bitchin Nat King Cole Christmas album and chill instead.

I go to the Annapolis campus.
It's true to an extent, but the tutors are genuinely intelligent and really well versed in their field. The college also has tons of resources and good connections if you take advantage of them.

To be fair I do have a full ride, so I can see how it is horribly overpriced if you're going full out of pocket.

The sjw stuff is way overblown. I go here and a solid 80% of people I meet are either anti rar or indifferent. Also the admins stood up to them recently. I'm also not in sciences I'm in philosophy and there is v little influence.

If OP has a full ride to SJC he probably has one to Reed. Hell I would recommend dropping both of those and going to a conservative great books school.

Yeah I mean, I'm not saying I have anything against Reed either. A captain of mine studied analytic philosophy there, and seemed to of gained a fair amount of autism from it; so I suppose it's a good program.

Either way, I'd say both schools are good, SJC is definitely tailored towards a certain kind of person though.

U of C would be a good look if you could swing it for a great classics program. I was looking at doing my grad studies there.

Reed college is a funny place.

You are legitimately retarded whether or not this is bait.

>studying literature at college

OH NO NO NO NO NO

HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA

Read Lattimore but come to St Johns. The user who posted above about having to do the figuring out for yourself is absolutely right, but you’ll have guidance and the St John’s program will change your life if you work hard at it

>not following your dreams and passions

I shiggily diggily