What's the worst book you've read cover to cover?

What's the worst book you've read cover to cover?

The Bible

Jesus' Son, Denis Johnson. I don't enjoy the aesthetic of the self destructive, hopeless loser in the 90s novel.

Naked Lunch

3rd book of that Eragon series or whatever it was called.

Norweigian wood

House on mango street

the ice palace

The Shipping News

forrest gump
titular character, i shit you not, goes into space with a genius chimp (or orangutan, maybe?), they crash land in papua new guinea, are captured by head hunters, and the only reason they're not eaten is because the ape can beat the chief at chess. literally nothing in common with the movie except the title.

The Sun Also Rises
What a meme

And the movie was worse, just this movie about how the best Americans are the ones easy to control.

This was awful. I'm okay with what it was trying to do which was cover a large number of topics or controversial issues and provide arguments for and against but the way he represented some issues and the arguments he provided were so bad. An example would be the cosmological argument. No serious philosopher in the history of earth has ever held the position that everything has to have a cause yet this is how he represents the argument and then he devotes a couple pages to refuting it. It's Richard Dawkins tier stupidity.

My diary.

Anna Karenina
I haven't been memed so hard since I've read Infinite Jest back in the day

Murakami's Norwegian Wood

Strangely it was The Giver. Holy shit I was way to old to read it at that point

What didn't you like about it?

>No serious philosopher in the history of earth has ever held the position...
>goes on to talk about one of Aquinas' five proofs

I'd give you a retarded Wojak but I don't like those

not strange. the giver was straight trash. i was probably 13-15. you?

Aquinas didn't hold the position that everything has to have a cause. Nobody did because that would be a stupid argument.

its a toss-up between Night, The Great Gatsby, All Quiet on the Western Front and It All Falls Apart. I'm thinking It All Falls Apart and All Quiet are the top two contenders but when I think about Night and Gatsby I still heave a little so maybe just a 4 way tie between them.

DELET

I worked in a foster care home this summer and was excited to finally read this book I've heard so much about. Holy shit is it a bad read. The kids thought it was aight, a few liked it. It's dystopia for dummies. Loved the end though, the symbolic depiction of death and how truly living in those last moments was worth it. It's a shame the author had to write sequels.

Everything that came into being has to have a cause.

Personally I thought Night was one of the most powerful pieces of propaganda I've ever consumed. 100% concentrated feel bad elixir in book form.

the book is actually called 'Things Fall Apart' it was so awful I couldn't recall its title properly, whatever you do, don't read that fucking book.

Why is it stupid to say everything has a cause? I know Hume's argument as well as the 'quantum physics' argument and technically agree with them but that doesn't make it stupid to believe everything has a cause, especially within a Newtonian framework.

Aquinas' first cause argument is restated by Nagel in that book if my intro to phil memory serves me correctly.

Gatsby isn't that bad. Is All Quiet on the Western Front seriously not good? A girl I like just started reading Remarque and she says he's great so I was hoping to read some of his stuff considering I enjoyed the film, but I might give it a miss if it isn't good.

This is not the same thing is saying everything has a cause. There's a subtle but important difference, if everything had a cause outside of itself then the existence of God would also need an explanation outside of itself so he couldn't be pure actual. To say merely that things which come into being or begin moving have a cause is a defensible position.

It's a stupid position because if everything is caused by something else then there can be no first mover. Read the book for yourself because I'll admit that Nagel does an excellent job of refuting this strawman.

The Snow by Adam Roberts

Alain de Botton's Airport

Suttree

Naked Lunch
Jesus, what fucking garbage.

Atlas Shrugged

same here.

In the Miso Soup, by Ryu Murakami

Probably Blood Meridian or the Tunnel.

Your favourite book by your favourite author

I also fucked your mom

of mice and men

Brisingr. I thought Inheritance was worse, but they were all pretty shit after the second. They were all pretty shit in general but as a teen I liked them.

Red Badge of Courage. Short book, but fuck is it a slog. Kill me.

50 shades of grey

Just finished this and it was amazing. Go back to YA schlock you pleb.

Pride and Prejudice.

The entire century trilogy by Ken Follett, desperate times

Things Fall Apart

Either

When Breath Becomes Air

or

Ready Player One

Can't decide.

Kill yourselves

Seconding The Tunnel. Thank God that fat fucking pseud bought the farm

The Guernsey Potato Peel Pie Society

Jesus.

>a girl i like said the thing
lol you dweeb retard

spotted the numale idiots who can't read

probably got offended because of all "the bad men"

This is the only one in the thread that surprises me. I consider Anna Karenina among the best novels I've ever read. Out of curiosity, what's a novel you rate highly?

McCarthy's novels are full of cheap gimmicks and clumsy affectation. I just can't get into them.

>What's the worst book you've read cover to cover?
The Road

this isn't true at all.

Do you read for plot or some shit? describe the way his prose flows, sincerely use the technical term in which he omits clauses in favor of conjunctions, and where he's pulling that from, and how that source reflects what he's writing about in America.

why didn't you enjoy it?

Did they talk about the Book of Ebenezer Le Page at least? He kind of tore modern Guernsey citizens a new one with that, I'm curious to what islanders really think of the novel

This piece of shit cost me one afternoon I'll never get back

The Alchemist

their eyes were watching god

And you couldn't remember "Second Coming"?
You strike me as a double brainlet.
Or maybe a half brainlet.
Whichever is worse.

oh god, yes this too

50 Shades of Gray

Reeeee

Dan Brown's Inferno. The day I gave up on contemporary fiction. Can't be bothered to read books that could be crap.

Strong choice

I read spetnaz by Viktor Suvorov and it was so fucking over the top. I just wanted a book about their training process and I got a bunch of bullshit stories.

On The Beach
The idea that everyone would give up trying to survive is stupid, but I had to keep reading it for school.

that endymion shit, jesus chrsit lol

>Atlas Shrugged
I second this.

The Coral Island

Had to read it at school, what a fucking piece of shit. Three fags get stranded on an island (one is actually called Peterkin Gay), and literally everything goes right for them, they find food, fresh water, and make a shelter with no problems. The only bit of drama is when they're kidnapped by the natives but a storm scares the natives so they convert to Christianity and the boys get rescued.

The only reason I can think we were assigned it is so we'd get the reference to it in Lord of the Flies, which we did later.

Redshirts by John Scalzi

Felt like I was reading fanfiction written by a college sophomore who smokes a ton of weed and has a really high opinion of themselves. DUDE what if the characters in a tv show KNEW they were in a tv show???

It gets worse because the plot devolves into a shitty time travel story. I hesitate to even mention it here because I don't want to somehow increase its sales by giving it attention. Not to mention Scalzi is a bit of a dick IRL.

i usually drop it if i feel like itll be bad

but i finished still life with woodpecker. it seemed fine some of the time, but those long winded explanations about aliens and egyptians towards the second half just drained me. i feel like the me in highschool would have liked it though

Kafka on the shore

Catcher in the rye

I forget which one but one of the James Patterson Maximum Ride series books.
I was in middle school or something and even then I was just disgusted by it.
I loved the concept but it jumped the shark so bad that it jolted me out of contemporary genre fiction and made me move to the sci-fi classics

Haven't read Anna Karenina but I just finished Resurrection and felt as though I'd been similarly memed.

As I Lay Dying

Rosemary's Baby
John Scalzi's Ghost Brigades. Extremely forgettable and often times boring in some areas.

Some novel about native american snipers during ww1. Its possible it was just the translation that was utter garbage though.

I'd like to say Atlas Shrugged, by I couldn't finish the last 75 pp or so. I left it on a bench in a city I was working in for the summer.

I bought a book in an airport and read it during my travels once. I can't recall the name, but it was about the discovery of this remote island which featured endemic organisms unlike anything on Earth. They had incredibly high metabolisms and fast life histories. It was absolutely terrible. Anyone know what this was called?

>left it on a bench

Dumbass, someone else might pick it up and read it. Should have shredded it one by one

Norwegian Wood
The alchemist

>uses 'or some shit?'
Ignored

I gave up on Atlas Shrugged right near the end too, I know that feel. That second book you're describing sounds like it'd be a Crichton book, but I cant think of which one. Prey maybe?

Fucking this. I don't understand how it actually became cool and popular to be a degenerate fuck. I don't mean like a degenerate fuck who has a house/apartment, a decent job, and gets too drunk on the weekends or bangs random sluts, or is a horrible procrastinator, etc. I mean the actual homeless heroin addict that strangely became cool in the 90's.

>No serious philosopher in the history of earth has ever held the position that everything has to have a cause yet this is how he represents the argument and then he devotes a couple pages to refuting it.
Jesus fuck is this bait? This is bait, right?

Ready Player One

I could've sworn it was going to get better but nope

Man, I got his whole bibliography as a "gift" last year. It's hard to tell which one is the worst book.

I liked it

Culture of Critique.

We all rag on that book, but you read it and so did I. It works on different levels, even if you hate it and can see how manipulative it is with the nostalgia you can't look away.

It's just a modern teen novel, nothing less, nothing more.

Reading it for anything but the nostalgia is an error that anyone should be smart enough to not commit.

I wouldn't call it my worst. But it definitely wasn't a strong intro to Faulkner for me.

The thing that bugs me is, it's a teen novel of nostalgia for the 80s for kids who never saw the 80s.

it was fucking garbage and i wanted nuke their whole tribe at the end. disgusting fucking primitives

I am mostly sure it was written for the late 80s or the 90s generations, but the millennials fell for it because they of the idea that it was "the golden era" and they missed it.

The fact that the novel mostly takes the game culture as a base may also gather the interest of those into retro gaming. I for one I am one that read for that.

That's the whole point man. They were superstitious and flawed and their lives were filled with hardship and pain. But it was *their* way of living. It wasn't some idealized, before-the-white-man tale. Things weren't perfect before the British and things weren't perfect after, but the point was to get you to think about whether *your* imperfect is better than an imposed imperfect.