The first assignment in English One is called a Reading Reflection...

>The first assignment in English One is called a Reading Reflection. It asks students to write about their reading habits: how often they read, what they read, what they feel they take from their reading.

>What have our students been reading before they come to our class? Some – a very few, and almost always women – have read 19th century classics: the Brontë sisters, Jane Austen, George Eliot, Charles Dickens.

>Some – a very few, and almost always men – have read 20th century science fiction (Asimov and his ilk), and some of the Beats and their offspring: Kerouac, Bukowski, Burroughs.

>The next and much larger group have read The Hunger Games, The Curious Incident of the Dog in the Night-time, The Boy in the Striped Pyjamas, some or all of the Harry Potter series, and a lot of autobiographies, either by sportsmen (the men) or by women who have been held in dungeons for years by rapists (the women).

>The final group, about the same size as the group of Hunger Games readers, read their and their friends’ Facebook pages, their own news feed, and the occasional copy of a women’s or a men’s magazine. None, unless they have been made to by their high school English teacher, has read anything by an Australian author.

>almost always men – have read 20th century science fiction (Asimov and his ilk), and some of the Beats and their offspring: Kerouac, Bukowski, Burroughs.

can the male supremacy meme end now

These articles make me feel better about myself.

Universities were private institutions for thousands of years you brainlet fucking cunt. Privatization isn't the problem its our Judaic-Liberal epoque

Reminder that this woman teaches at literally one of the worst universities in Australia. She also teaches students who she admits don't actually want to study English and are only there to meet the requirements of their """""""degree"""""""".

>There can't be anything wrong with our society
>it must be the external threat destroying it
I'm really glad that I'm not this delusional.

Not an argument. The fact remains state run universities are an extremely recent phenomenon, all the most productive universities in history generally began as either Church run or aristocratic institutions and ascribing a change in learning culture solely toa fucking Labour party talking point is a major brainlet move

This. Being better than your dummy peers is considered ethically wrong these days. In fact, BBC has an article today about the Army being told to change their "Be the best" motto because it's not inclusive. They paid half a million pound to some consultant company to come up with the idea.

Church and aristocracy are much closer to state institutions in function. Neither of these run universities for profit in modern sense. It's absurd to equate "private" in pre-capitalist time to modern idea of "private".

>"The merry-go-round had a centre post of cast iron, reddened a little by the salt air, and of a certain ornateness: not striking enough to attract a casual eye, but still, to an eye concentrated upon it (to the eye, say, of a lover of the merry-go-round, a child) intriguing in its transitions."

>You would have to say that this is not an especially enticing sentence. I find most students I teach are pulled up short by it.

Ahaha oh wow.

This. The problem is not "private" per se, but the mentality that comes with it. Students are now customers paying for accreditation and the institutions cater to this illusion because their survival depends on it.

Of course but it is even more absurd to imply they were anything remotely close to public universities today which are absolutely no better whatsoever in this regard

>None, unless they have been made to by their high school English teacher, has read anything by an Australian author.
Nothing wrong with that btw. Their most acclaimed writer is unironically named "Banjo"

this was literally just posted on reddit gtfo fag

I will call them Banjo from now on on flag boards

Man you have to be retarded to think that's a difficult sentence

enough about the jews... you're like a fuckin hl2.exe fatal engine error

Yeah you'd like that you fucking kike

How do you know that? Are you a Redditor?

Merry Christmas