Did Veeky Forums get any books for christmas?

Did Veeky Forums get any books for christmas?
Post your stacks.

It's not Christmas yet, fucking idiot.

why didn't you ask for mein kampf fucking kraut

Be sensitive, OP may live in a single parent home and have to see the disgraced parent a few days prior to Christmas proper

John, if you're reading this thread, you know what to do.

Germans celebrate Christmas on the evening of the 24th.

Some places open their gifts on Christmas eve.

Weird, I know.

Or he lives in schnitzelland you unobservant boobies

Didnt know that

what are datelines

C-Can we talk about about the books you got or have wished for now?

I would really like the new English translation of Die Einzige und sein Eigentum, but I will provably have to buy it myself. Ho hum.

Gelehrtenrepublik is amazing, especially the part where he is screwing a centaur-girl

Looking forward to reading it!
So far the only Schmidt I've read are Schwarze Spiegel and Leviathan.

yeah I enjoyed Leviathan as well, I suppose his early works are way more comprehensible than his later ones, like Zettels Traum for example. As of now I'm afraid to go near that thing

Yes it's very daunting.
Should I read more Anglo literature before jumping into Gelehrtenrepublik?
Not too familiar Poe, Joyce etc.

My name is John, and I don't know what I should be doing.

My name is also John. I have a friend named John, another named John, and a third named Jonathan.

I don't recall ever meeting another John in my life.

You and your friends must either all be middle-aged or are all living in Britain.

Not so. I'm a millennial.

I have £50 left over in birthday money. What should I get? I've got my eye on Schmidt lately but I have no idea where to start.

I sincerely hope no one's been lurking my wish list and has bought me anything off there. I don't want to buy anymore until I consume the one's I've already amassed over the years.

>weeks before Christmas
>give my mother hints that I'd like to read Dubliners
>say it's Christmas so she can afford to buy me a good edition and not a cheap paperback
>spend the next few weeks talking about how magnificent an author Joyce is
>Christmas
>mother shows me a present in the shape of a nice hardcover book
>feel good about this, proud of my mother for the first time in my life
>as soon as she hands me the book, all that goes away
>feel under the wrappings a shitty floppy paperback
>open it and see it's a fucking Penguin edition
>sternly tell mother that Everyman editions are the books that are aesthetically beautiful and long lasting
>she keeps telling me that my present is a centennial edition and that the artwork looks pretty, as if that makes it better
>tell her this Penguin piece of shit will fall apart after only a few rereadings
>demonstrate my point by opening and closing the poorly made Penguin edition just a few times
>it rips apart really easily and turns into a pathetic pile of paper on the floor
>tfw she won't buy me the Everyman version because I've been acting bad

She told me I could have just made an exchange if I didn't "destroy" the book I had, but I don't want another poor reader to suffer.

Got this from my grandfather, better get to learn german.

fuck, I'd jizz everywhere if I got this

Judge me, bitches

You Norwegian? I actually have two of those books waiting in my bookshelf. Murakami is pleb-tier though.

>Brecht
Literally the most overrated German language author.

and that's why your parents don't love you

Yeah

Danish. My sister said the bookkeeper recommended Kafka on the Shore based on the other books I wanted.

lmao gtf back to /r9k/

reddit

Central Europeans get their presents on the 24th from little baby Jesus. (It's not just you, you fucking Krauts)

pleb

You are.

I only got a gift-card with roughly 16 Euros on it. I think I might buy the new translation of L'etranger to see what it's like. Maybe some cheap pocket books if anything catches my eye.

no u

Mature.

The two on the top is Brand and Peer Gynt by Ibsen.

Originals or translated?
top-tier books anyways

Ibsen is in the original Norwegian.

I received these from my parents and siblings.

wtf is that pleb manga shit to the left

Manga is patrician. Anime is pleb. Get it straight. Hentai is for the ubermensch.

Get ready for heavy-handed political allegories

I like to read some manga, Berserk is something I've enjoyed to read over the years and having physical copies of it now is nice, I'm happy with it.

All are self-bought except for bridge on the river kwai

Nice to see some Yates. The rest will make good kindling.

got a pretty aesthetic book

Nice stack, never read Cities of the Plain before but I enjoyed other books by Cormac McCarthy.

>lmao he fell for the dosto meme

Medea is cool, I don't know the rest.

Well it's the last book of his that I don't own yet, and I've never read the border trilogy so I'm looking forward to finishing his works

I bought myself a video game for Christmas.

He's a two-bit fraud.

Rate.

Dosto is okay as far as guilty pleasures go. More people on /lit could stand to internalize some of his themes. But he should only be used as a supplement to great works when you want to take a break but need entertainment.

Care to explain? What's fraudulent about him, mind you I don't know much about the other himself but I've read a couple of his works.

>Dosto the Yevsky is a meme

Argue for this.

>hey guys I have this incredible new idea
>what if...we made audiences realize that they're at the theater?
>I am the first to come up with this brilliant innovation!
>before me, audiences were so enraptured by the plays that they completely forgot they were watching a play
>w-what do you mean Shakespeare has a dozen """""""""""""""""""""""brechtian"""""""""""""""""""""""""""" jokes in every play?
>btw let's genocide some kulaks

I can't really explain it. I feel strongly about it but it's hard for me to articulate my convictions sometimes. His work just strikes me as having a grandiose appearance but with nothing inside it. I never feel like he's saying anything of substance. Which is fine, but it also seems like he feels he is.

you don’t deserve anything user, I hope your atherosclerosis gets worse and worse

>lmao he fell for my "dosto is a meme" bait

The man can't write, his plots are dull and pretentious and really overrated in general desu. White (k)nights literally seemed like it was written by a whiny incel on /r9k/.

Little sister got me a poetry collection by Theodor Storm.

she single ?

:)

happy to see this pasta again

i want to read the king in yellow

tell her I want her toes inside my foreskin

Fuck you I love the penguin covers.

kys jfc

It's sickening

I don't get it

I was given Carry on Jeeves and Runaway Horses, by Mishima.
I know that's the second in the series but is it okay to start there? If not then I'll just go buy the other one, it just might take a while to find it.

I got a couple others too, fahrenheit 451, something on jfk assassination and an anthology of short stories

>I know that's the second in the series but is it okay to start there?
That won't do, you have to read it in the right order to get the best of it.

I'm going for new year to give my mom first wither book and my grandma some "stories from priest"

mine

Plz no bully, they are from my parents.

nice holmes book. i got one but doesnt look quite as nice as that

yea its the Barnes and Noble one, leather back and gold edges, looks really nice. Not sure its gonna be nice for long reading tho.

snyggt. Jag köpte Gravity's Rainbow på svenska i somras, helt clueless

why your City of God is so big?
Can you tell me the difference of your version to other smaller version?

I'm not from an english-speaking country. I was very happy about them, the ones I look forward to the most are the Kafka on the Shore, Naked Lunch, the Ray Bradburry novel and all of Borges.

Ordered Ovid's letters and poetry from exile too

Got this from mother.

nice. do you like to collect books signed or was this a special treat

It was an unexpected surprise. I'm very happy with it.

r8

>mushroom spore prints for augustine
por que?

nice

very nice

bottom 4 were from classics professor mommy

top 4 were from english major gf

:3

i got the ego and its own, odyssey, and the iliad

>clockwork orange
>cover has a glass of milk
i hate when they do this, make some reference about some minor detail to the novel itself.

living the dream senpai

triggered /pol/ack, neck yourself

Classics professor mother? That sounds super cool. She single?

honestly not worth the time. the repairer of reputations is okay, but the ending is pretty stupid and undermines the whole thing. the other stories you can make a pass on. I don't think this is an unpopular opinion, the only people I see defending it are august derleth-tier lovecraft mythos shills

kinda jelly desu