Are there any other writers who can pull off being sentimental the same way Chuck can?

Are there any other writers who can pull off being sentimental the same way Chuck can?

Sappiness is realism, user.

emotions? literature?

naaaah dude...

It is a crime how most writers are too cool and shy for it... such a stupid solecism that something is untrue merely because it is "cliche."

I take it that most people's problems with Dickens is not necessarily that he writes emotional literature, but that his characters are contrived in a way as to manipulate the reader to feel something specific, rather than getting the whole character.

Not in literature. In film there is John Hughes.

a bumbling simp... I haven't read dickens since I was a boy. what's a good starter work?

Definitely Dostoevsky.

Dickens can't do it

don't 5get about Capra. Or even Ford?

The problem with most is that they don't know how to read Dickens. He's a great writer. I'd stay and chat but the evening's booked. Sorry.

Great Expectations is a blast. The one I return to most.

>The problem with most is that they don't know how to read Dickens.

How do you read Dickens?

A Christmas Carol wouldn't be a bad idea considering the time, but David Copperfield is a good intro too.

Very carefully.

>grind through his dull shit without falling asleep
>tell the pseuds how much you loved his books and how they changed your conception of Hegelian cryptotheoretical black holes

I've really been itching to read Oliver Twist. It's so ingrained into our milieu , or at least it was for me when I was growing up, I feel it's only necessary I should read it. Is it a good starting point, Veeky Forums?

what are you talking about you weirdo? Dickens can tell a damn good story. Has your brain been warped?

Melville is the best example

>dull
It's literally not possible to find Dickens "dull." It's the literary equivalent to dividing by zero. If you claim he's "dull" then you're not just stating an absurdity, you're lying about your emotional reaction to his achievement. Dickens governs the manner in which stories are told in the 21st century; if you've experienced Western culture at any point in the past 150 years then you've imbibed his stories, dramas, style, characters and their descendants, either consciously or unconsciously. Whether you're aware of it or not, Dickens's work, diluted or otherwise, has entered your mind and drawn your amusement and fascination.

I understand that you might not really know what you're talking about so I'm going to allow you to apologize to me and Dickens in your next post; but frankly, lying about finding Dickens "dull" is a very vulgar and unintelligent thing to do, even if you did so out of ignorance.

You're batty

>Dickens governs the manner in which stories are told in the 21st century

why is that?

If Dickens was published today you'd dismiss his work solely for being serialised. You are a pseud

If he was published today he wouldn't be serialized.

Of course. It's not hard or wrong to start anywhere with Dickens. It's a pretty good book

Please leave this board

Shut up.

Steinbeck?

He's right though. You'd dismiss it as being pulp fiction written for the masses.

It is that. It's pretty good though.

I've actually read Dickens so I know that if anyone came close to writing as well as he did, today, I wouldnt care if they were a black asian tranny who had a booktube account.

Believe it or not, not everybody is as tasteless and shallow as you are

I read tale of two cities and really disliked it. Is Dickens just not for me?

He means Dickens invented the process of using literature as a thin veneer for his personal problems to make ugly claims for morality instead of creating art.

>Labors in a workhouse
>Spends the rest of his living days griping about poverty and the poor conditions of workhouses
>Attempts to warp literature into a personal political platform

Dull

You'd probably like it more because of that, because then they could complain about all those other disadvantages in their writing too.

Yep, move on and revisit if you feel like it

Was the first name I thought of.

How does it feel to be retarded?