From a purely literary and philosophical standpoint, how do you judge the work of Aleister Crowley...

From a purely literary and philosophical standpoint, how do you judge the work of Aleister Crowley? Your personal religious believes aside.

Other urls found in this thread:

youtube.com/watch?v=NugrV09olLw&t=337s
twitter.com/SFWRedditVideos

I enjoyed reading him. I doubt I understood very much of him.

Crowley's like F&L in Las Vegas or Fight Club. Kinda red flaggish if you're young but str8 up maoist china if you're an adult

I like how his writings gives us sort of a magical "hope". A hope on the possibility of a lifestyle where one individual would be able to achieve personal goals with the assistence of certain forces from the nature. Anyway, Esoterism and Occultism is still a intriguing area for me, one that I still want to find out whether it is more about truths or aboyt simple myths/superstition.

you'll quickly find out how much overlap there is between myth and reality

Start here and avoid the misinformation

I like Moonchild

I highly recommend Diary Of a Drug Fiend, it's hilarious. There is a scene where the protag and GF are flying to Paris while constantly belting cocaine, singing to each other in the cockpit between snorts, that is, communicating only by singing rhyming couplets to each other. The last third, Crowley himself steps in as a obvious Mary Sue and offers to help them kick their various habits, by inviting them to Thelema and initiating them in his system.

>literary
the best prose and verse i’ve seen from any occultist ever
>philosophical
immature but potent, Blavatsky, Mathers and Hall were much more careful about this shit than him. He probably committed rayps and murders of children and young men and women, it seems like he took blood and sex magick too far. Heroin addict and psychopath, ruined a lot of young intellectuals’ minds. If you read the Book of Lies carefully he had an unbelievably sensitive understanding of metaphysics and intuitive occultism. He also seems to have grasped the Daodejing, Hermeticism and Egyptian religion at a level most moderns on /x/ and twitter can’t even begin to approach. Incredible understanding of aesthetics and archetypal usage of rites and color-smell-sound to manipulate the subconscious mind.

Probably a genius level IQ, mountaineer, voracious reader, spoke multiple languages, was a spy for MI6 (which is its own topic), knew Ian Flemming and other writers of the time period. the Parsons connection with the Moon Child is disturbing but again its own topic. You can put him in a lot of networks that make my blood curdle but regardless he’s worth delving into if you are curious about these things.

Brought gematria into a realm that people like Land and the other cybernetic occultists could fathom away from Jewish-Christian lunacy. At his peak he scared the fucking daylights out of the public and was a sort of legitimate magician, at least in the eyes of the public. Obviously Thelema is extremely gay and if you are akshually into it as an adult you’re pathetic, but if you merely write him off as a lunatic or shun his thinking you’re the plebeian not the people who research his works and life.

Take youe meds loony

N

O

X

this guys know

where the fuck are people like you in my town? all there are are jimmy page fans who name drop crowley on instagram to look mysterious.

>just ate chinese a couple hours ago
>my friend’s fortune cookie said “Love is the law, love under will”

Wtf

Did he really commit rapes and murderers though??

Is there occultism that isn't spook tier?
I heard jung was into it

of course he did.

fucking small humans in the ass activates their fire chakra at the base of their spine. the fucker absorbs the literal life force of the fuckee.
how is it that whereever the oracle is taken, the elites bring their secrets, and whole populations of native children get taken? think residential school, german occupation in africa, why we let civil wars burn through in parts of the world, when we have the force to stop it and enforce peace?

>this has been known and suppressed since before the great flood

you have this last chance to turn away from sex magick. you're at risk of losing your entire mind.

I just like reading stuff online
you bet your sweet ass he did honey, only reason he got away with it was because his friends were well connected, he was a genius (which means murder for pleasure is on the table) and MI6 asset

no such thing as war for oil
always been a war for children

youtube.com/watch?v=NugrV09olLw&t=337s

He seems like he's primarily a fraud and a con man, so.

gonna hijack this thread to turn you all onto info that comes from the actual elites
hoot of the owl, by Hans Hermann Behr, an early member of the Bohemian Club, founders of the Bohemian Grove. The book is a collection of speeches he made to the respected members at their HQ in San Francisco.

look at what they think of virtue

ever hear of any special observations about Saturn's rings?

Actually, do you ever hear anything about the "people" who live in that region?

>tfw they've known of the Ayys who were planted around the same time as us for centuries

note that Bohemian groce is an Anglo-Germanic Druidic society which Jews are allowed to take part in. Note that you’ll find left and right leaning finance magnates and king-makers from the 5 major races of the West attending these meetings. Note that they perform a faux ritual sacrifice and former attendee Nixon described it (paraphrasing) as the faggiest god damn thing I’ve ever been a part of; also note that Reagan and Bush Sr too avid attendees were accused in the late 80’s of fucking 15-18 year old male prostitutes. Continue your dump user

>we'll tell the fools they came from monkeys! ha! they'll buy it!
>meanwhile they keep the true origin of us in all the symbology they love to use

Jung's a fag.
Go back to sucking Peterson cock.

is your name nick by any chance?

the fact that you only associate jung with memerson is sad

Jung is just obvious pseud bait.

It's tiring when people cite him.

I bet you think you're an INFJ or something.

i love the part in his diaries where he's "experimenting" with cocaine and he keeps claiming it's not addictive... and the diary entries go on without sleep for about two days, getting longer and longer yet with less time between each entry, ending with ".. it's not addictive, but i believe i shall continue".

the entries towards the end of the "experiment" were almost a page long.

>a lifestyle where one individual would be able to achieve personal goals with the assistence of certain forces from the nature.

> began as the son of a rich scottish lord
>
> died alone, penniless, eating a single egg for breakfast through his filed down teeth, addicted to morphine

he had weird personal goals, then, di'n't he.

probably hasn’t even read Man and His Symbols

checked

>Daodejing, Hermeticism and Egyptian
They didn't even have passable translations of the Daodejing back then. I'm not saying /x/ knows better, but simply that there was no access to it at that time whatsoever.

jesus fucking christ man

whoa, did not know those first two were popular. both are fantastic. only problem is how ridiculous the publisher is with the dictionary. reading it in pdf is annoying. would be much better if they had it available online and re-edited like the SEP. wouter is also a super nice guy and has given me some great recs via email

>I literally can't even
--jungian

you do know he nipped all his ideas from occult philosophers, right? sprinkle in some Kantian diatribe about being forever locked in your head, an you got Jung.

it's occult-lite for people who gravitate towards Peterson: people with no real understanding of how to tackle the canon, who need the most trite ideas spoonfed to them.

please stop posting you fucking faggot
he understood the spirit of the tradition user

>hurrr i can't actually talk about my opinions, hurrrr

Typical Peterson drone.
What spirit of tradition?

Do you know what you're talking about?

fucking fluffbunnies, i swear.

You're the faggot coming in here with some useless spook-posting, then citing Jung (totally not a spook, right?) in regards your burgeoning interest in the occult.

You have no idea what you're even talking about. Not a single clue. If you don't like to think, then why pretend to read?

I have a feeling the two are essentially one and the same here.

t. narcissist

Idiots shouldn't dabble in the occult!
Better go read your Big Boy Books like Jung, because Mr. Peterson said it was tough and arcane, and that'll make you look smart to the normies!

Has anyone read JFC Fuller's writings on Crowley?

miiiiistah crowley
...BER. NER. NER.
WHAT THEY'VE DONE TO, YA HEAD-BER
NER
na-na-na-NER NERRRRROOOOH
MISTAH CROWLEY
*bu-bu-bump*
BER-NER-NER
U COULD TALK TO THA DEAAAAD

you do realize his entire body of work is shown in masonic symbology? the duality of the cutting board, the checkers? the sun's eternal light holding us into a collection? hell, even synchronicity is a stolen idea from the early hermetics.

Peterson is a charlatan who promotes charlatans, and idiots who value intellect as a material commodity get swept up in their bullshit.

Mother fucker, you don’t know a god damned thing if you are disregarding Jung like that. I needed to say it. You faggots that hate on him without having read any of Jung’s collected works boil my blood. Even those people that base their opinions of him off of man and his symbols, come on. You all will devote thousands of pages worth of attention to genre fiction but won’t take the time to read an actual volume of the future most influential thinker of last century. Hate me, I’m fine with that, but read Jung before you shit on him

Did... did you just take a picture of your bookshelf?

... user... I

good lord, I'm in actual tears from laughing.

my god

wow... looks like a lot of wasted money on all that shit.

this is the strangest, most random, least thought-out series of books put together.

I enjoyed hearing what Robert anton wilson had to say about him

read all that fucker's works from librarygenesis last summer.

again, the dude is a charlatan.
Again, you'd be good with reading Manly Hall, Waite, Eliphas Levi and up to Kant. Fuck, even Plato was more in touch than fucking Jung.

Again, do you need a big baby's spoon?

why do they never actually buy Chan texts and always beat around the bush with secondary crap? why does God hate me so much?

the stack of a fake orientalist desu

embarrassing

Are you 17 or something?

You sound like a huge pseud. Your books make you look like a pseud.

>he doesn't see the clear relationship between the books

>commentaries of conflicting eastern ideologies with none of the tertiary texts after the introduction
>jung at the end of it for some reason

you can leave any time, Jung-user.

Jung said taoism already produced what he initially aimed to produce. You people are stupid. That guy that says he read it most certainly didn’t. Fucking manly hall... I enjoy his stuff, but, the opposite of ‘in touch’ if that is your gauge of quality. The guy that posted above about not noticing the relationship between all of those Books is not me, but the fact that this is even a question is fucking pathetic. Jung’s primary focus was Taoist alchemy. And the guy bitching about secondary sources: only a couple of those are secondary, the three volumes of cleary contain almost all of the Taoist texts worth reading, and all others are in that stack. Recommend other primary sources if you know any, but almost all are primary (2 or 3 aren’t)

he was just an edgelord.

>he understood the spirit of the tradition user
He didn't even met with the tradition, he didn't even read the same book. Whatever he understood was not it.

It's like saying I understood Crowley's spirit because I've read this thread.

Sinology actually develloped over time, not only translators became less biased and more rigorous, but there were archeological discoveries in the mean time and feedback form chinese scholars and so on. Even the best sinologists like Richard Willhelm were lacking, not because he was lacking intelligence or sensibility, but because the material was scarce.

dont add to the retardation with more retardation

Ayys? He's clearly being sarcastic about how a lot of scientific research is seemingly useless. Right after that, he goes on to say that scientists are now able to distinguish between turtles, the mock turtle (turtlebird), and the mocking-bird.

>not understanding the occult symbolism that the turtle is

it's really just code for keeping the masses away from the "phoenix"

it's full of a lot of goofs, gags, and tricks

rich people love theatrical faggotry

that’s just your opinion ive read good late 20th century translations and crowley’s works and he absolutely understood daoism better than most people who study it for a living in academia. occultism is not at all bound to the same priciples as philology or linguistics you bug
>rich pepo
>its da spectacle durrrrrrr

it actually is the spectacle.

If you've actually read Crowley, you'd understand the occult's interest in subversion through artistic expression. It all dwells in the realm of the mind, using symbols and colours to illicit certain brain functions, making you go into a trance-like state most of the time.

Why do you pretend to know anything?

I've honestly been the samefag who has posted anything worth anything in this thread, and seeing people like you come in and blatantly lie about things really hurts my head. Do you just not retain anything you've read? Do you scan the pages while you think about something else?

>occultism is not at all bound to the same priciples as philology or linguistics you bug

this is so wrong and absolutely retarded.

So... in the beginning there was the word, and because of that the occult is not tied into the same "priciples"

You're just spewing hot shit.

About equal to the first 5 chapters of Dianetics, some decent pop psychology regarding developing the self. After that, a boring tome for getting and controlling followers.

do what thou will, shall be the whole of the of the law - wow, deep, now let's see if we can get this woman to fuck a goat

Mr. Peanut is still way cooler than Hubbard or Crowley