People who "read the russians", aside from, maybe, Chekhov, are usually narcissistic psychopaths I've noticed. Discuss

People who "read the russians", aside from, maybe, Chekhov, are usually narcissistic psychopaths I've noticed. Discuss.

You inspired Dosto to write The Idiot.

Gogol > Chekhov > Dosto > Turgenev > Lermontov > Bulgakov

These are my power rankings of what I have read of the russians so far. Feel free to fill in.

Sure I'll fill it in with Tolstoy. Put him at the very bottom and wipe your boots on him while he's down there.

Russians have great character driven books, they are the best if you have been brainwashed by anime and manga. I have great difficulty in caring about plot or prose and I basically read to find characters that look like me. You may be right.
I also love reading Nietzsche. I may fit the narcissistic psychopath stereotype more than I would like.

Peak reddit

No problem he already looks like a lousy bum anyway

I certainly hope not. Although I've only read Dosto and dead souls.

Then it doesn't apply to you. There is a type of person for whom reading the russians is a lifestyle.

>tfw literally studying Russian philology right now
oy vey

The only people who place Gogol on top are the people who haven’t actually read the Russians but don’t want to sound like pseuds by saying Dosto or Tolstoy.

>he doesn't read the Turks

I haven't read any big novel by Tolstoy yet and I just really like Gogol.

But if you're such a big boy show your own ranking. I'm especially interested in where Pushkin stands.

People read one Dosty novel and conclude that the Russians were all humourless.

The best thing about that is that Dosto is quite funny if you're open to him being funny.

As a russian I was forced to read every author in your pic except Sholokhov. Gogol is the only good one

War and Peace is pretty cool exept the hunt part. That felt like a filler.

>I read spanish """literature"""

>open Dostoevsky
>ctrl+f suddenly
>600
friendly reminder the only people who place him above Tolstoy are immature edgelords

He's better than Tolstoy if you're 18 - 22yo

Probably at the top actually

Sholokhov and Gorky are unironically great commie-core. Though it wouldn't take a genius to say you wouldn't enjoy them and their often dreary/idealistic realism if you only liked the Professor of Medieval History

To be fair, Russia is a backwater shithole that doesn't deserve God's light. They should be shunned for eternity.

>Bulgakov isn't anyone's top pick

baka