a
spook

Its freedom

it's an abstract concept referring to a shared delusion

living then dying

Something that is subjective

The rules which bind us in our shared freedoms

Non-natural abstract entities that exist in a platonic realm

ikr. Id like to behave according to the golden rule, befriend only benevolent people and be the faithful and kind boyfriend of a nice girl, but i just can't bring myself tl believe in this shit. probably because i was once religious

A set of truths that dictates which actions should be taken.

a subjective set of guidelines humans invent for their lives in the belief they are doing "good"

What are you trying to say? Not everybody is wholly good and moral truth is not the same as scientific material truth. Knowing how you should act is hard enough, but getting yourself to act in accordance with those ideals is also hard, but it doesn't mean it shouldn't be done. Your life will probably be better for it in the end, despite the struggle.

Why would human beings care about "being good?" Why did they invent something like that, friend?

Doing things that are beneficial to your society.
It's not entirely subjective, many things are objectively beneficial like not being a fucking asshole ruining people's lives.

What about mercy?

Violence breeds violence, by being merciful to criminals you indirectly breed a better society.
Mercy also applies to criminals, a robber is less likely to kill (or even rob to start with) his victims if he lives in a merciful society.

somehow i dont believe in anything that could be called a morality nor in morality itself as a concept. it's not a stance, it simply doesnt make sense to me. the reason i said what i said is that as i live (im pretty young) i find that kind people are better to be around with, and id be better off being a good man, that is a reasonably kind individual who tries somehow to abide by thou shalt not do unto others, etc., but it doesnt make sense. my own logic draws me ever closer to egoism and apathy towards others. i cant process the humanity of others. maybe it is bbecause i am unhappy, though. idk

i meant egotism

how is that even a question

But if a robber has his hands cut off instead of just being out in prison, wouldn't that encourage more robbers because of the less severe punishments. And what about in war after an enemy is defeated? It makes more sense to destroy an enemy to the last man than to let some live after defeating them, from a utility perspective.

Well try following what you think is moral and see what happens. Take it on faith. You'll probably be happier. It'll be hard tho.

What benefit is there in "doing good?"

I don't think you can have a non-abstract concept. And you definitely can't have anything abstract which couldn't be described as a shared delusion.

All things abstract are shared delusions.

I'd say the captured nazi scientists working on rocketry and such for USA were far more useful alive than dead.

>do good
>other people see you doing good
>other people are now willing to do business and copulate with you

>do bad
>other people see you doing bad
>"hey, this guy is an asshole, fuck him"
>nobody does business and copulates with you
>die poor and alone

I cant do that, really. it'd be an act

are you serious right now?

see

just fake it

Sure you can, sociopaths do that every day, quite successfully. I merely explain why most people are brought up with moral principles and do good in general. Also, being truthful is generally easier than lying. Building and maintaining a large web of lies must be very stressful.

i just meant that your theory is entirely unfounded and stupid

It’s not unfounded and nor is it stupid

HOWEVER

The truth is that we do good because we are God’s children and we desire his love

set of rules dictated by society

This guy fucks

Rule of this Universe that don't have to be followed

There are several different senses of the word morality. One of the primary ones would be valuing the things you should value and acting on those values.

>philosophy thread
>not a single work of literature discussed

Please go the fuck to like you're supposed to.

something the strong impose on the weak

>all the edgy antimoralist babbys ITT will go out and act perfectly moral tomorrow

A measure of attempt to ensure you're own safety through mutually assured and (hopefully) enacted 'good' behaviour towards another(s) be recurred by them, as well. What exactly is the "good' comes in various iterations and forms.

IN a more base sense, morality appears to the be human logification of the drive for the preservation of one's species.

That wasn't out of mercy tho. I'm talking about soldiers and everyday criminals

Except there is an adherence to "good" when nobody is watching as well. And in tribal society some sort of abstract "good" to follow would be replaced with obeying the leader/tradition. I don't see how you can easily show that morality is a human invention purely to keep everyone controlled without presupposing certain things about reality.

Sometimes you fake it before you make it, or take a leap of faith. Try it honestly and see what happens. Just don't give it up when it doesn't immediately work. Try it for a few months sincerely. Hope you figure something out user

Short answer is this Somewhat more detailed answer, a set of guidelines which, if followed by all, would make life easier, better, more meaningful, and more pleasant for all. Of course, however, the Sabbath is made for man, not man for the Sabbath --- morals are made to help us live as well as possible, we aren't made to bind ourselves to useless suffering/absolute morals.

You're describing hypothetical imperatives. That's not morality, that's prudence. Morality is CATEGORICAL imperatives.

Imperative means norm, which means something like command, an ought, a should.

...so Kant would have you believe, anyway.

Yes, managing a web of lies is probably stressful, but so is telling what you honestly think and believe. Admit it, you and everyone else lie about little things, quite often in all likelihood.

Well Kant was full of shit.

It's natural law, that set of principles which set the flourishing and defect conditions for the human will, and aim in respect of our wills and habits to perfect us as the kinds of things that we are.

Morality is an action done by the will of other sentiments

Ok
But morality and similar concepts don't seem to lead anywhere or describe anything, whereas there are concepts that lead to things like bridges and xboxes

>mfw someone says morality is a tool, power game, etc.

The rules and principles laid out by God for His creations to follow

Ideology plus guilt.

lol this is literally the Republic books 1-3

wrong its a social selection mechanism for honesty and dependability. it exists to prevent dysgenic breeding and anti-social predatory behavior that endangers one’s access to resources and the safety of the collective. its extremely important for high octane intelligent life to have culture and morality or they will rape each other to death

Antinatalism is the apex of morality so of course they will.

a thing that leads to a more livable life

thanks user