On Knight's opinion of James Joyce

>"He pilfered a copy of 'Ulysses', but it was possible the one book he did not finish. "What's the point of it? I suspect it was a bit of a joke by Joyce. He just kept his mouth shut as people read into it more than there was. Pseudo-intellectuals love to drop the name 'Ulysses' as their favorite book. I refused to be intellectually bullied into finishing it."

Was he right, Veeky Forums?

Other urls found in this thread:

blog.frankdelaney.com/re-joyce/
youtu.be/ySc3ty4DHbM
twitter.com/NSFWRedditGif

>intellectually bullied

Ulysses is a wankfest that has nothing to say about life. But it can often be amusing. Finnegans Wake is the essential text by Joyce. One of the most powerful documents we have, up there with the Bible and the collected works of Shakespeare. Many people are too feeble minded to ever find that out for themselves though.

Oh, you mean like you're doing now?

>Sally’s boredom with Jack’s program of discovery soon turned into criticism. He did see things from a rather special point of view, and after a while he was no longer listening to her recommendations as carefully, nor was he accepting her judgments of what was good and what was bad. Sometimes it got pretty irritating. Once, for example, he spent a month wading through Ulysses, which Sally told him was the greatest novel ever written. He threw it aside late one night and said to her, “Baby, I just can’t cut it. That book’s as full of shit as a Christmas goose. It’s too much for me. I like Bloom a lot, but I can’t stand his goddam crazy wife or that asshole Stephen. He’s just a turd. I don’t want to read about turds.”

Bashing Ulysses is the easiest sign of a pseudo-intellectual. It's really not that difficult. Joyce wants you to plumb the depths of your own mind. The internal battles and trials we face, in our minds, are equally (if not more) adventurous, perilous and rewarding as an epic hero's journey such as The Odyssey. I find most people who bash Ulysses, while having high intelligence, have low emotional intelligence and self awareness.

You have to be a bit schizoid to appreciate Ulysses.
Good book...

>...people read into it more than there was.

Is it really a bad thing? To find some valuable insight in the book even if it may not be what the author originally meant. I'm pretty sure that's what happened with the bible in the last millennia.

Yes.

Yes goy, being a pathetic and cowardly cuck who spends his entire day doing nothing around the town so he doesn't come home early and sees Chad smashing his wife is totally epic, perilous and adventurous - far more than Odyssey!

Don't worry goyim, just because you are a weak degenerate who spends your entire life working in a cubicle making others rich doesn't mean your life is a waste and not an adventure! You don't have to do something courageous and noble to be a hero - masturbating on the beach in front of women and little children will make you an epic hero too!

Oh I know, why don't you read all about it in this great, hardly comprehensive book that's written in a stream of consciousness style so you can better feel and experience how it's like to be a cuck...i mean a hero. If you are lucky, some of those stream of consciousness thoughts may become ingrained in your own subconsciousness and one day you too may start an epic cuckolding adventure, just like the noble protagonist Bloom!

Wow. You sure browse wikipedia a lot.

>tfs clinically diagnosed with schizoid pd but can't stand ulysses
am i broken

Knight lived in the woods for 27 years and couldn't finish it so...

As an antidote to this plebbery, can I recommend to you a great podcast called re:Joyce? It's a very close reading of Ulysses, and every little reference and literary device is gone over in great detail. Even if you think the book is boring as hell, give it a shot because the host, Frank Delaney, is very knowledgable and entertaining and fun, and might just help you fall in love with the book.

blog.frankdelaney.com/re-joyce/

Unfortunately Delaney died so he only got up to Wandering Rocks, but with 368 episodes there's plenty of info to help you with the rest of the book.

That's what I'm talking about! A meymey post filled with buzzwords that can go on for more than 1 line! Slit your throat, intellectual mongrel.

>"He liked Shakespeare, 'Julius Caesar' especially, that litany of betrayal and violence. He marvelled at the poetry of Emily Dickinson, sensing her kindred spirit. If he were forced to select a favorite book, it might be 'The Rise and Fall of the Third Reich', by William Shirer. Knight's disdain for Thoreau was bottomless - "he had not deep insight into nature" - but Ralph Waldo Emerson was acceptable. "People are to be taken in very small doses," wrote Emerson. Knight read the 'Tao Te Ching' and felt a deep-rooted connection to the verses. Robert Frost received a thumbs-down and Knight said that when he ran out of toilet paper, he sometimes tore pages from John Grisham novels. He mentioned that he didn't like Jack Kerouac either, but this wasn't quite true. "I don't like people like Jack Kerouac," he clarified."

Holy shit he's /ourguy/

is he will toledo ?

youtu.be/ySc3ty4DHbM

This seems like a fundamentally flawed argument because nobody is really "reading into" Ulysses all that much, the charm of the novel is all surface value and straight forward. The language of common people and the language of dreams, the mapping of a day in Dublin, the play with formats, the characters Stephen and Bloom. Nobody is drawing from it some grand esoteric allegory. It's a big word soup with great phrases on every page and exhaustive documentation of a world that's now gone. There's nothing to read into the minutiae of 20th century, the artifacts are fascinating in their own right.

(((this)))

WHO?