Is writing good prose and telling a good story two separate talents, or do the correlate?

Is writing good prose and telling a good story two separate talents, or do the correlate?

Brave New World had a prose that is so damn difficult to read.

"excuse me, miss, I need to walk through here"

*stomps on her tibias with steeltoed jackboots*
“haha excuse me miss you’re going to need to go to the hospital”

“This is a book store madam, not a library. And pick those books up off of the floor”

THOSE BOOKS DON'T EVEN BELONG TO YOU
GET THEM OFF THE FLOOR
GET YOUR NASTY FEET OFF THE TABLE
WHY ARE YOU READING TWO BOOKS AT ONCE
YOU JUST LEAVE THAT BOOK SPLAYED OPEN? YOU'RE GOING TO DESTROY THE SPINE
THIS IS A BOOKSTORE NOT A LIBRARY
SIT UP IN THAT CHAIR BEFORE YOU BREAK THE BACK
YOUR POSTURE IS TERRIBLE

They aren't the same, but a person who practices writing a lot hopefully developes both.

Is someone good at playing piano also a good composer?

very fair... but can a good composer also be a good pianist?

Difficult? it's just dry and mildly drenched in scientific babble. Elementary Particles are written in a heavier version of such style and they're 2-3 times as "difficult" to read (but you can read both of these works very quickly, nonetheless)

Why is she reading a kids book

because she is a woman.

it's possible, but not necessary.

so in you opinion, a composer has more value than a performer?

Yes, over the space of history, composers and compositions are remember, performers and performances are lost.

i believe so. you can recognize someone who is a good storyteller but a bad writer when they're hitting all their plot points but shit still sucks. a good writer/bad storyteller will work twice as hard to charm your pants up but anything resembling a plot point will be contrived or fall apart on closer scrutiny.

the best example of a good writer/bad storyteller is probably williiam s. burroughs. best example of good storyteller/bad writers are plentiful in genre fiction.

- your prose is only as good as your imagination, how will you can visualize an object, setting, place, emotion in your mind

- your stories and characters are only as good as your empathy... can you create meaningful tension, do you know how others feel when faced with adversity? do you know what causes anger or fear in an otherwise peaceful person?

my opinion is that prose comes from imagination, and your plot/characters comes from empathy, so they are separate talents

What's wrong with reading kids bookf ucking idiot?!?!?!?!?!!?!?!?!?!

>t. eternal f*male

but performance is absolutely necessary in order for the composition to be appreciated to begin with
>inb4 you can read it
yes but reading it only makes sense when you refer your reading to your conception of what a performance would sound like

If a performer is lost, you can train a new one
If a composition is lost, it is gone forever

>all my favorite singers can easily be replaced

no. not even. full stop.

i don't think he's saying they're not important, he's trying to illustrate that they wouldn't have their career if not for the composers working for them or that came before them... which logically puts the position of composer above the position of singer

you may have materialized these individuals in your mind, but a quick youtube binge should show that talented singers are dime a dozen

composing something to break through the nose takes more talent?

a quick youtube binge shows me there are lots of people trying to be elite and a very few elite. maybe i have a more particular taste.

more likely, you grow attachment to performers for alternative reasons beyond delivery, such as personality or appearance

I think you meant 1984, Brave New World was much easier to digest

This is a sweet take, I think I'm alright on the empathy front, but I'm really struggling with the prose. The only dialogue I've come up with has been subtly anti-Semitic (for humor), but I can't figure out how to write two people interacting.

word, dialogue is like another talent all together... being able to string together a conversation in a non-cringe, believable AND interesting way is quite the challenge for some

it probably comes from whatever part of the human brain makes a good comedian

>I'm not moving, you will have to crawl under my legs
What you do?

>SIT UP IN THAT CHAIR BEFORE YOU BREAK THE BACK
I'm no chairmaker, but...

Awful analogy. Prose is more akin to musical composition. Music has no analog to story because it's non-representational in most instances.

Yes just look at Rothfuss I love his writing but I want to kill him for his story

Do American book stores have chairs? If so, why?

I crawl and I hope she calls me a creep and nasty names while I do it

That is quite simply false in the age of recording. Your original point that compositions are more "permanent" is straight up ignoring that performances are in fact just as permanent nowadays