Do you take notes while reading, Veeky Forums? If so what about?

Do you take notes while reading, Veeky Forums? If so what about?

no

things I find interesting. usually I just note the page number with a brief comment and I'll come back to it later

actually I lied. I highlight stuff on my kindle, otherwise

no

>1 cut = 10 minutes = 2 pieces
>2 cut = 20 minutes = 3 pieces

Uhh, is the teacher retarded?

yep

that teacher really triggered me

I do take notes. Sometimes I just write a few keywords to remember the subject later and take note of the page, sometimes I just stop reading and write a whole paragraph about it.

I used to copy passages I find interesting, but now I'm a lazy last man and ever since I started using kindle that saves whatever quote I like I stopped doing that to phyiscal books.

Americas youth is doomed. I weep for them..

Oh my god, this has to be fake

I don't get it. It took 10 minutes for 2 pieces so thats 5 minutes per piece 5*3= 15

Nevermind im retarded.

It's not 5 minutes per piece, it's 10 minutes per cut

I take physical notes on what characters look like in my head so I can regain my emotional investment in a work if I have to put it down for a few months.

Fucking kek

It would take less time with each cut as the carpenter becomes more confident with his work

Perhaps

True.He could also get tired and decide to take a break from all that cutting.
This goes to show how irrational the so-called exact sciences truly are.

If the answer was 16 pieces it would save time to slice down the middle of the board then take a ten minute slice so you’d have 4 then 6 and so on I instead of adding just one piece

Go back to /math/

?

Get ready for the autism...

If I'm reading fiction I'll just make a note in the margin about passages that I liked and maybe copy them down into my notebook.

But if I'm trying to understand philosophy... I read the chapter/essay as fast as I can, drawing little stars next to the main points I find and writing keywords in the margins to get a sense of the structure of the text. Then I write nonstop for about 20 mins trying to remember as many of the conclusion points from memory as possible. Whenever I get stuck I'll write down questions. Then I'll take all the questions I wrote down and close read the text very slowly, usually taking two to four notes per paragraph. Then when I'm done taking my close reading notes I'll try to synthesize them into answers to my original questions (and any other questions I came up with while close reading). Then I'll write all the main ideas down on index cards. If there's any points I'm still not getting I'll write again nonstop for 20 mins and try to explain to myself exactly what I don't understand and then reread the text to see if I can find the answer.

It's insane and it takes about three or four days to do this all but by the end you know the text inside and out and have enough notes for 3 or 4 essays.

yes, to help me retain info, especially when reading ancient texts

yea I do similar. I'll write down the book, page, and which paragraph I found it in.

I firmly believe EVERYONE should summarize the book in their own words after they are done reading. In this way, they can come back to it later and fully remember the main points made, ESPECIALLY in non-fiction. I came back to Keynes and BOOM, I saw my summary and it helped me understand that dense piece of work

Just warning you, you are about to get shit on. HOLY FUCK THOSE ARE SOME DUMB NOTES

Jesus christ. One time I tried annotating a book I was reading and realized that I was just writing vapid nonsense so that it felt like I was getting something accomplished. Seeing shit like this makes me feel better about how awful my annotations were.

>no there isn't

that seems petty smart not autistic

>smart
>not autistic
you’re the stupid one user

Yes, I make annotations about the Jews. Also, it's how i've received some books too

more like goes to show all applied maths require statistics and an accepted p value

cut once, stack em, cut
now you have 4 pieces in two cuts rather than 3 pieces
continue stacking and cutting down middle

margin notes help me alot. With memory

Yeah you have 4 pieces, but the time it took to get the 4 pieces is the same regardless of whether you stack or not. By stacking you double to thickness needed to cut. Following the logic of the problem, you add 10 minutes in time to cut through the first stack, so on and so forth.

I think.

the problem is flawed, and even if the problem asked to solve for 4 pieces it assumes all cuts are equally difficult regardless of thiccness

Not if reading for pleasure/entertainment. Only when researching or studying something, or making reference materials.

Do you never read non-fiction for pleasure?

Jesus Christ.
please stop

unless I want to study the work in question and try to understand it more intimately, I'll take notes in a notebook with page numbers and (poorly) underline the passages with a pen.

For any class readings, I do the same but out of duty so I might not necessarily be super engaged but it allows me to be prepared for class. I don't go back to my notes but the act of note taking develops my memory regarding the work and allows me to draw the connections faster.

this isnt right

lmao this cant be real

I'm prettt sure that this wasn't you. There was a thread with people complaining about used books and there were notes like that.

have a used book with this insipid nonsense strewn about every other page, you’re bating me and I know this and yet i still want to beat you thoroughly for even showing me these images. My fucking Oresteia has things like “Zeus was the king of the gods” “This means warfare” “Apollo=Sun”

Apollo does not equal Sun

No you're not. It takes one cut to divide a board into two. It takes two cuts to divide a board into three.
10 minutes = 1 cut = 2 pieces
20 minutes = 2 cuts = 3 pieces

Imagine buying an used book
-hey got a hardcover Iliad for just 10 dollars.
Start reading
>why is Achilles so boring
>hector = villain
>the gods are on the side of the trojans now
>are they going to send the horse?

was it autism?

Only reasonable explanation, that's how he must look like

No, I keep a commonplace book instead.

the math checks out

>No there isn't

This

>from Percy Jackson

Homer was heavily inspired by his study of Percy Jackson.

If she works just as fast it'll take her 10 minutes.

Are you German?

Me too, brother. I variously call it my memoria technica, my thought archive, or more simply, my paper-brain. I've tried taking close, detailed reading notes, but I found this practice too morbid and stultifying, too ponderous and German.

I'm French, why you ask?

she did do the oath

the problem is that the question does not specify whether the board is cut into 3 equal pieces or pieces of different size, and so both 20 and 15 are correct answers depending on whether the board is cut equally.

>no there isn't
thanks for the image