2017 ends in a few days. Did you meet your goodreads challenge?

2017 ends in a few days. Did you meet your goodreads challenge?

Here are my 20 books btw. Some were ok, some were amazing, and only one was not so good.

Some novels wouldn't have killed you

Yeah I plan to read more fiction this year. I read 2666 last year and it burned me out.

How was Free to Choose? I've read Capitalism and Freedom, thought it was pretty basic and only provided arguments for the layman.

The best books were The New Alchemist (went over the work of most important mineral physicists of the 20th century) The Origin of Wealth (Covered complexity economics), The Wordy Philosophers (History of economic thought), and Naked Money (Monetary policy and exchange rates 101. much better than his other books).

The worst books were the Anti-capitalist mindset (polemic against those who oppose capitalism) , On Tyranny(common sensical advise on how to fight tyranny), and I rigoberta Menchu (story of an activist during the time of the Guatemalan civil war)

I'm not sure it would even be possible for me to only read 20 books in a year.

I liked it, but if wouldn't recommend it to someone who wanted to build a foundation in economics (I would just read a textbook honestly). He just goes over why the free market should be lauded. He discusses the problems with tariffs, rent control, and price controls, and also promotes ideas like the negative income tax, a stronger school voucher system, and proposes an economic bill of rights. If you've taken macro and/or micro then I suggest you skip it unless you love his work.

you should move out of your parents basement and get a job then

Sounds pretty much exactly like Capitalism and Freedom which is unfortunate, maybe I'll try some Sowell instead

Yea he's solid. check out the Origin of wealth if you get a chance. It was amazing

>still can't set a word/page count goal in goodreads
Bad!

You should stop wasting 5 hours in front of the tv/on the internet every night so that you have time to do more fulfilling things after work.

not the person ur talking to but we all should. I feel so guilty being on the damn computer all the time. I want to cut this place out. It's addicting.

I have Economics in One Lesson by Henry Hazlitt and The Wealth of Nations on order, not sure how basic the former is but it was recommended so I thought I'd check it out. I'll give that a try this summer when I have time again, thanks for the rec.

and the mods allow this trash?

Econ in one lesson is a great book. I actually give it 5 stars. It's broken up into short chapters which essentially goes over important economic concepts. I recommend you open a work doc and just write down a few bullet points for each chapter.

How did you like Von Mises?

same, it’s not even other social media outside Veeky Forums. I just spend so much time in this shithole. I wouldn’t stop browsing but I should reduce the time spent here. Also I only use my pc to check if there’s anything good on torrent sites, because my sister got me an iphone and it makes browsing here so fast and comfortable. It doesn’t help that I like to read when I’m alone and there’s always someone making noise in my house so I tell myself that I will read later and later. Now I feel like I’m wasting my time when I’m not reading, so I’m always anxious

>tfw have only read 20 pages today

which were amazing?

tfw you read 45 books

*dab*

I read 20 books this month alone.

will-do thanks. I also have an applied economics course this semester so itll be interesting to see the contrast in topics.

genuinely embarrassed I share this board with you

The Anticapitalist mentality was disappointing. The first 4/5 were bad and the last 1/5 was great. I’m going to read human action next, because I’ve heard great things, but maybe I just started with a dud.

Good job dude!

Unironically good shit man, what did you read?

I think i read like 30 books in the past four months.

He ended with a lot of political rhetoric in The Theory of Money and Credit. It was annoying. So I was the opposite you were with The Theory... I enjoyed the first chapters because it was like a history lesson with Von Mises, and then the final chapter used so much political ideology I almost wanted to stop reading

53/50 my dude.
You need some more literary fiction tho tbqh.

yeah, I'm even a bit of an overachiever you could say. I set myself out to read one [1] book, but it turns out I read 15.

Chicago econ undergrad starter pack

>The Origin of Wealth (Covered complexity economics)
Glad you liked it. I've been shilling it for some time. Though I couldn't care about the frog part.

no

I blocked 4chins on my laptop for the new year. I'm hoping i can switch out my internet addiction for reading

I started using goodreads (just cataloging books I've read, not writing reviews) in June with hopes that it'd give me good suggestions. To such luck.

I think I've read 31 books since then.

nope

37 but I read Infinite Jest and the Bible which should count as more tbqh senpai

I'm gonna make it

>21 of 15
next year I'm gonna read 25!

yes i set modest goals and surpassed them as usual. will be more ambitious this year as this is the last year of my life I’ll have any free time or energy

>tfw won't finish a 700 page book until 1st January
>tfw can't honestly put it as a 2018 read

How do people even manage to read less than 30 books per year unless they are dedicated thomists or kantians?

Set up for reading 100, end up reading 64 or so because I got a really hard depression. Now I am recovering, and I hope I can get back on track. I will put a similar goal next year to motivate me.

Goal was 52, made it.

Reposting but whatever, send me recommendations

Why didn't you rate them all?

didnt feel strongly enough to do so

I am 5 behind schedule, only wanted to read 20. I am certainly I have read more than 15 though, because there are books I read before I started the Goodreads thing this year that I didn't catalogue, so I don't actually know where exactly I am.

ziy

I don't have a goal and I didn't keep track but I read about 9 books in the past week so it's probably fine

>From 52 in 2016 to 8 this year

read 4,979 five page short stories

No. I was aiming for 24 and only read 21.

A couple of months ago I decided to stop being a pleb and start reading more. This year I've done:
>3 novels
>4 novellas
and a bunch of short stories. Shitty I know but it's a start.

Oh wait, I read 4 novels. This summer, before I decided to stop being a pleb, I read IT.

What happened?

62/30

Got 26/20. Hoping to double this next year by doing a lot less Internet reading

Wageslave life +college