I got that new roastie translation of the Odyssey for Christmas. It’s pretty good so far

I got that new roastie translation of the Odyssey for Christmas. It’s pretty good so far.

What’s the canonical “best” translation tho?

Other urls found in this thread:

community.middlebury.edu/~harris/homer.translation.html
theparisreview.org/poetry/6950/from-the-odyssey-book-i-homer-translated-by-emily-wilson
twitter.com/SFWRedditGifs

Pretty good compared to what?

Pope

I usually see either Pope or Fagles.
I dunno about any roastie.

Lattimore is the most loyal to the original text (with the possible exception of certain prose translations).
Fitzgerald is less loyal, goes for a bit more poetic feel.
Fagles - I don't know how loyal he is to the original, but his language is the most accessible of the three
These are the most highly regarded and widely used translations. Any one of them is a good pick, really. You're not a scholar of Greek culture and you don't have to read Lattimore to get the truest original experience, if you enjoy Fitzgerald or Fagles they are absolutely fine too.
And then there's Pope... His translation is beautiful, no doubt, but it is probably the most liberal English translation in existence. Right off the bat you can see that he uses Roman names rather than the original Greek ones and uses rhyme. (Not used by Homer and barely used in the whole antiquity.) I compared one passage from Odyssey and he literally added two verses just for the sake of it. Read him eventually if you wish to, just keep his specific approach in mind.

>I dunno about any roastie
how so? there were so many threads dedicated to her translation a while ago
I second that.
Read Pope

>people are still giving the manlet scammer sole credit

I don't read that many novels, so Veeky Forums isn't my main board, I read mostly non-fiction with the exception of classics.

Who's the roastie anyways? I really must've missed the threads.

Fitzgerald

>odyssey
lol read plato pleb

Didn't Pope only write part of the Odyssey?

Anyway Pope is great but not for being true to source material and conveying the feeling of the Greek Epic.

I personally would pick a prose translation for a first reading.

Found this excellent guide: community.middlebury.edu/~harris/homer.translation.html

Its this one

>teeth stained from overconsumpyion of soy and unfiltered, estrogen/pharmaceutical-polluted tap water
Jesus Christ

Or maybe she doesn't like washing them day and night.

Anyway, does anyone have her translation of the opening stanza?

O, tell me muses...

>m-maybe shecjust doesn't value dental hygiene
I bet she freebleeds too. Women were a mistake

Huh. Well the cover is pretty.
How accurate is it? Has anybody compared it to the earlier ones?

theparisreview.org/poetry/6950/from-the-odyssey-book-i-homer-translated-by-emily-wilson

Tell me about a complicated man.
Muse, tell me how he wandered and was lost
when he had wrecked the holy town of Troy,
and where he went, and who he met, the pain
he suffered in the storms at sea, and how
he worked to save his life and bring his men
back home. He failed to keep them safe; poor fools,
they ate the Sun God’s cattle, and the god
kept them from home. Now goddess, child of Zeus,
tell the old story for our modern times.
Find the beginning.

>Tell me about a complicated man.

Jesus Christ Almighty how many ways are there to interpret the first line, and how many of the good ones have already been used so this roastie is left with poetic scraps.

thank you

leave her alone dude
translating greek is complicated

idk how many there are, but "complicated man" isn't one of them

The word can be translated as "complicated" when referring to diseases.

Nobody's technically the most powerful thing next to God.

You can make the argument that Odysseus is diseased or incomplete but I find 'complicated' implies something very modern or anachronistic on Odysseus as a character.

I dont appreciate how it doesn't imply Odysseus as a man with many virtues or skills.