In order to come to terms with Heidegger...

In order to come to terms with Heidegger, one must "determine essence of man soley in terms of his relationship to being." This can only be done by eliminating the accidental and trivial as we concentrate on the core of human (and personal) being.

Only by the anticipation of death is every accidental and "provisional" possibility driven out. By grasping the the "finitude of one's existence," one frees oneself from the shallow "multiplicity of possibilities" that life presents to us.

So how can I bring myself to recognize this presence of death in my comfy and childish life? Can anyone suggest further reading about death or life's end that will assist us in this undertaking?

INB4 kys, I don't want to die I want to understand my own being.

Other urls found in this thread:

youtu.be/4lC7V8hG198
en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Existential_therapy
youtu.be/q8bvJdA1Jm0
twitter.com/SFWRedditVideos

Imagine you died right now, and the last time you saw your mom you were a dick to her. Maybe considering the fragility and shiesty temporality of life can change your behaviors, to value the infinitely precious moments you have, to be your realest and truest self you are, in the little time you have.

I feel like this might be true, but a little surface-level. I want to really contemplate what it means to be, not feel marginally guilty about being a shallow dick in a single circumstance to another person. That has too many social and external factors to worry about.

Bumping for literature recommendations. Perhaps something eastern? I've ways felt Asian cultures have a better grasp / relationship with the concept of death.

hang out in graveyards
join a hermetic convent
binge-watch that one autopsy show on Netflix or HBO or whatever

Live as if you're going to kill yourself soon. Fantasize about suicide constantly. Fuck that girl that you've been thinking about. Get high and watch the stars every night. Discover what may be out there and inside you by really paying attention. Destroy your relationships and reputation and anything which resembles the potential which people expected of you. Go to alaska and live on the streets or in hostels. Spend months on the beach and read philosophy with the intent to expand your curiosity. Plan your suicide and even attempt it. Have a passionate and destructive relationship with the craziest, and hottest chick that you can find and let her destroy you. Then when shit becomes so brutal that you can't take living anymore put it all away and choose life.

how are you guys talking about this stuff so calmly i am tormented by a fear of death every minute of my waking existence please help me!!

That's an authentic Dasein right there.

its likely gonna happen, all you can do is accept that all you can do is put yourself in the best circumstances to prolong it; and if successfully as many people do that, life can feel like an eternity

What show is that?

>Only by [...] death is every accidental and "provisional" possibility driven out.
Say that to the billions that have died by falling in the shower.

don't know which one he's talking about, but 'Six feet under' did it for me

I did this and came to the conclussion that laying in bed in pajamas and reading fiction is the truest way of being for myself.

I tried to kill myself, failed and don't think much of it now. The mystical experience prior to the attempt, now that is scary stuff.

The billions aren't speaking through me, the one and only. Think of yourself as 'yet another pile of particles' to reach your goal; equality. However, you must ignore being at its core to do this, as equality is evil and does not belong with the rest of existence.

>Think of yourself as 'yet another pile of particles' to reach your goal; equality
Death is an accident, and in being an accident it is not unlike all the other accidents you purport to be provisional. Death does not come when you wish it and how you expect it, otherwise it's not really what we're talking about. To chose an accident over other accidents is artificial and deliberate, and therefore not accidental, not spontaneous and not authentic; its primacy does not relate to the quality of the event of death, but to the particularity of the dying one.

>Death does not come when you wish it
It will if you make it.
>and how you expect it,
Expect more.

The emperor Goyozei was studying Zen under Gudo. He inquired: "In Zen this very mind is Buddha. Is this correct?"

Gudo answered: "If I say yes, you will think that you understand without understanding. If I say no, I would be contradicting a fact which many understand quite well."

On another day the emperor asked Gudo: "Where does the enlightened man go when he dies?"

Gudo answered: "I know not."

"Why don't you know?" asked the emperor.

"Because I have not died yet," replied Gudo.

some day soon you’re all going to make me fling myself into the Pacific with these fucking posts

Holy fuck do American's ever piss me off with this westward ho! shit of trail blazing and fucking as though it isn't just a reworking of the trope Holdernlin sets out in Hyperion - except Mericans never seem to realise that their trail blazing is war.

Such a ignorant people. Y'all are only interesting when you're truly suffering or when you're honest about you lust for violence. You're all so fucking European and you don't think it's true. Cause you're quests are different. Blah, blah, blah. Fucking sublimated battle lust is all.

>Fuck that girl that you've been thinking about. Get high and watch the stars every night.
Please tell me you're baiting. This is a million miles away from what Heidegger's authenticity looks like.

congrats on living authentically
>likely
now this is denial

Yet one has to admit that many Americans are pretty despicable, yet, at least in my opinion, they are a kind of admirable, for being a kind of incarnated evil feeling good through not realising what they do. Like they're successful with being a huge Trump.

I was astonished to find that many people actually believe it will be possible within their lifetime to become immortal. People really don't want to believe they will die one day.

Death is only a spook generated by our self-perseverance. There is no death to animals, nature, life. Being is and it is never becoming.

read the whole post, idiot.

>taking an independent study on existentialism as we speak
>professor is just having us go through Being and Time page by page
>realize the continentals were literally retarded and the analytics were right to dismiss their bullshit word games

when i got to "Insofar as being constitutes what is asked about, and insofar as being means the being of beings, beings themselves turn out to be what is interrogated in the question of being." i just basically gave up. i really thought sentences like this were going to be expanded upon or examined rigorously, but they're just not.

it's genuinely bullshit. and i have to do this shit for 2 weeks

Ever listen to Roderick's lectures on Heidegger? This is literally his stance. He even goes as far to say something like, "He says you need to get on living life, so you might as well not sit down and waste your life reading Being and Time."

>continentals were literally retarded and the analytics were right to dismiss their bullshit word games
I wish I wasn't at work so I could post a brainlet picture right now

heidegger was writing literature, not philosophy. it's not remotely rigorous enough to be philosophy

>people actually believe this
Maybe you could say that about the later Heidegger (maybe), but certainly not his early works. Being and time is far more rigorous than most philosophical works. His work on the "ontic"/"ontological" distinction alone is invaluable in an modern discussion of ontology. Hell, there may not even have been an existentialist movement without him, or at least not one we would recognize.

>The mystical experience prior to the attempt, now that is scary stuff.
well, come on, user, spill the beans

Roderick is a brainlet

Fuck you

this is fucking retarded and will only bring you suffering op

go to mass

youtu.be/4lC7V8hG198

I have contemplated this same concept before. I started doing 3-6 day fasts, including abstaining from food, social media, social obligations (as much as possible), and conversations with humans. I took off work a few days here and there, tried to really just free myself from all of that society bullshit.

I ended up feeling more like a Hindu than a Heidegger. I think my next step is to bang a qt3.14 Jewish girl and then become a Nazi.

I used to think about death everyday back in the day, really messed me up. It still scares me now but it never shows me what I actually want to do, I can never see beyond the multiplicity of shallow possibilities, is all the same to me. I can't access my true self, the only thing similar to that was psychedelics drugs induced ego death. It did make me able to see and get rid off shallow toxic stuff, but, a true self? An authentic self? Your own being? All those words lead nowhere, in my experience. The best you can do is being nice to your family and friends, an most times not even that will do the trick, because all those people's souls have been drained, they have killed themselves in order to function, in the same way people watch tv to "turn their brains off", they literally admit it. Stop reading Heidegger, he would probably say that himself if he was still alive to see the world as it is now.

Analytics are just as retarded, they only make less noise because they are a bunch of nerds compared to the chad french theorist who wears leather and fucks guys in the ass in bathtubs.

> There is no death to animals

Every(?) animal has a set mechanisms that
strives to prolong their life as much as possible. If anything people through contemplation and acceptance can get further to accepting the eternity of life than animals.

In order to live one must perish. In order to sleep, one must first learn how to dream. In order to eat, one must first sit still.

Oh gentlemen, have I been understood?

yes, to become "one" we must unite the antithesis

Why? So I can enjoy the rest of the empty teen monologue taken straight out of 'Fight Club'? Stop trying to validate your shallow living with half-assed interpretations of Heidegger, kid.

Huh? Animals know all about death. I think you're confusing death with being. Animals have no being, and thus can face death with less apprehension. (dogs eat dead owners, etc)

>Ever listen to Roderick's lectures on Heidegger?
they're so bad

DBT skills
CBT skills
myth of sysiphus
tao teh ching
Mans search for meaning
anything under the Existential therapy
en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Existential_therapy
Irving D. Yalom

It's easy,just resignate yourself to things you can't control and stop wasting time ,because it's the most precious and scarce thing you have left nigga!

Why does this sound so similar to my life. Speaking from experience though I am in absolute Nirvana with the missus and we work everyday to improve be it cleaning the place up to gaining a skill or talent. Taking every small moment in time. It's been the best time of my life. I feel I finally escaped the cycles of my depression and I have been so desperate lately trying to come up with stories that will bring the same sense to anons.

After all I love you crazed fucks.

youtu.be/q8bvJdA1Jm0

Their process as animal as such will end, a new process will begin. There is no death. Life finds a way.

It basically told me how things will play out. It was angry in such a way that my anger paled in comparison.
..And I wanted to kill myself so that I could dig hell deeper, for all to be equal. It told me what I was doing wrong and removed all illusions of grandeur or justice I had for the action.