Why was being a fraud considered worse than being a murderering rapist? What kind of backwards logic is that?

Why was being a fraud considered worse than being a murderering rapist? What kind of backwards logic is that?

Dante was a Jew

The Divine Comedy was the Ready Player One of medieval italian literature.
>hurr look at all the references I can make

Because Dante was concerned with the state of the soul, not the quantifiable repercussions of the sin committed. Rape is horrendous but ultimately only necessitates that one allow unconscious desires (I.e. the sex drive) to drown out one’s conscious sense of morality/right and wrong. Fraud, on the other hand, necessitates a conscious decision to misrepresent and therefore falsify one’s own conscious behavior.

At this time much of literature didn’t really have a clear handle on the relationship between the conscious and the subconscious/unconscious, in that the latter weren’t explicitly accorded the influence they deserve. Plenty of authors implied subconscious/psychological depth, but it wasn’t really a visible part of literary discourse, so it often fell by the wayside for a good number of authors since there wasn’t really a developed terminology for discussing it.

So essentially, for Dante rape essentially meant turning conscious thought “off,” while fraud meant actively using conscious thought to deceive. If man’s conscious capacities earn him his place at the center of the universe (as they did circa Dante), then Dante’s framework makes sense.

Dante’s chart is based on his own aristocratic psychosis; to the Aristos stealing, fraud, betrayal, lying are all worse crimes than rape, murder, adultery, blasphemy. They’re a really cool bunch, i hear there’s a whole board dedicated to exalting that kind of UPRIGHT ERECT morality

>Falsifiers of Giants
So, like... one guy standing on another's shoulders under a long cloak? Hardly seems a mortal sin tbphwy

/thread

Holy shit user this made me cry laughing for some reason. Nice.

This but unironically

What part of 1300 AD did you not understand?

do u mean /pol/ because yes

good post. Thanks user

Bumping so more people can read this nice reply

How many people on Veeky Forums have actually read the Comedy?

it's a classic so a fairly good amount probably

>implying

Maybe inferno. I doubt many here have read the full work

It's not that long, user.

Pretty damn good explanation

I've watched my nephew play the game. You'll have to agree that's more than enough.

i will never be this smart, my explantion would literally have been materialistic bitching about rich people protec fortune

>tfw you will never find any map even half as complicated as this one of purgatorio or paradiso

Because Dante got cheated on

Most anons on Veeky Forums only have the necessary patience for anime subtitles

Someone can make the decision to rape and murder someone in half a second depending on their state of mind. To defraud someone of their life savings, like Madoff, for example, is pretty fucked up dawg. Like not bad to you or me because we have nothing to our names, but some 65 year old who busted their ass their whole life is kinda, you know...

I mean, not saying I totally agree with Dante but, you know...can kinda see where he's coming from...

The divine comedy is my favorite fan fiction.

You will find /pol/ lurking in the lower levels of that graphic.

tbbp

>>Why is a crime against language highlighted in a poem?
>>gee huh

his father was a usurer you fucking moron

i meant guess im a moron too

did it again JUST
meant this guy ffs

wtf i am converting to the church now vexilla regis prodeunt inferni

thanks user

Because it's a self insert fanfic about how cheap and corrupt all his coworkers and colleagues were.
Also this.

>chewed in satan's 3 mouths
>Judas, Cassius and Brutus
Caesar confirmed to be Jesus.

>purgatorio
NICE FANFIC, PAPIST LAMO

that was excellent, thank you.

>people are amazed by this into to literature tier response

>/pol/
>aristocratic
i mean if you mean it in the sense that you go so far into degeneracy that you almost loop all the way around, but even then doubtful

was meant for who was related to

why Alexander punished? did he hate greeks?

this post needs more (You)s

su,s it up.
A lame explanation is that rape and things like that "merely" make you an animal and a spiritual non-entity while fraud/treason are more demonic in nature.
If you look at your whole graph , you have a gradation from animal impulses (lust and gluttony) to sins of a more subversive nature (all falsifications of the natural order) and at the depths you have the sins of Satan (all kinds of treason and revolt, pride against God).

It really is reflection of reality. Being an undersocialized white male is considered worse than socialized rapist murderer in the real world.

that makes no sense, italians are not white

>why did a christian condemn a pagan sociopathic tyrant hellbent on global domination at any cost, who death marched his own troops for refusing to conquer India

>Being an undersocialized white male is considered worse
It should be. You are a failure by all metrics.

christianity wasn't yet invented, it's not like he had a choice

>its not like he had a choice to wage war on the known world
God places those souls too early for christ senpai, just like he placed us too late to bear direct witness to Christ, we can only attest to his resurrection through faith

Because Dante was concerned with the state of the soul, not the quantifiable repercussions of the sin committed. Fraud is horrendous but ultimately only necessitates that one allow unconscious desires (I.e. greed) to drown out one’s conscious sense of morality/right and wrong. Rape, on the other hand, necessitates a conscious decision to use force and therefore acting to overpower another's conscious behavior with your own.

At this time much of literature didn’t really have a clear handle on the relationship between the conscious and the subconscious/unconscious, in that the latter weren’t explicitly accorded the influence they deserve. Plenty of authors implied subconscious/psychological depth, but it wasn’t really a visible part of literary discourse, so it often fell by the wayside for a good number of authors since there wasn’t really a developed terminology for discussing it.

So essentially, for Dante fraud essentially meant turning conscious thought “off,” while rape meant actively using conscious thought to overpower another consciousness. If man’s conscious capacities earn him his place at the center of the universe (as they did circa Dante), then Dante’s framework makes sense. eg. an invalidation of another's consciousness is the gravest sin one can commit, this was later explored by many thinkers as the power dynamic, the use of force, the nonaggression principle, pacifism and eventually marxism.
>t. what is a false dichotomy. essentially. type essentially one more time you brainlet.

you're simply incorrect. the previous poster was spot on.

the real reason he put traitors there btw is the same reason any cult or group of humans which engage in-group over out-group distinctions (us/them).

apostasy is the gravest sin you can commit if you are inside the group- so don't leave the group pls, or you know, bad stuff happens, in fact the worst stuff! look, it says so in this book.

not only was he wrong, he was technically 'not even wrong' because his explanation is ad hoc gibberish that could apply to any two things he chooses to distinguish between. it's like asking why the sky is blue, and then saying it's blue because the ground is brown.

You do realise you haven't actually explained why he might be wrong. You're just saying "wrong" and "false dichotomy".

>daily reminder Dante put the then still living Pope in Hell in his poem
He was not a smart man.

not sure if he started that trend, galileo also wrote a book with 2 characters one of which represented the Pope, and called him a retard. and the church just forced him to be a NEET, it was no big deal

Compared to the average level of discourse on this board, that post might as well come from a dissertation

he calls rape the suppression of conscious sense of morality by allowing unconscious urges to surface (sex).
>he COULD call rape conscious volition manifested through power (rape).

he calls fraud conscious volition manifested through deception (falsification).
>he COULD call fraud suppression of conscious sense of morality by allowing unconscious urges to surface (greed, deception).

he is obviously wrong in both cases, since rape and fraud are both conscious volition and suppression. he makes a distinction without a difference by ignoring the circularity of his own definitions.

is the actual reason dante put traitors there, because it's a text designed to keep catholics catholic. they were going through some really shitty popes and the crusades were a bust. it held off the reformation for nearly 200 years, your call on how effective he was.