Is it really that good?

Is it really that good?
If it is, why isn't it more popular? I legit couldn't find it in any of my local libraries or bookstores, and I've never heard anyone talk about it outside of Veeky Forums

Other urls found in this thread:

pastebin.com/hSkYMuiS
twitter.com/NSFWRedditImage

>Is it really that good?
It's alright.
>If it is, why isn't it more popular?
It's pretty popular already. Especially within the right groups.
> I legit couldn't find it in any of my local libraries or bookstores
That's sad to hear.
>and I've never heard anyone talk about it outside of Veeky Forums
You're not helping! Make a post about it on facebook or something instead.

I've read some 200 pages now and it's some of the comfiest, most interesting fantasy I've ever read. Really pleases my autism in all the right ways. Was skeptical at first too, because I'm not a big fan of scifi and future stuff but reading this feels more like fantasy.

Because it's just a tiny tiny bit harder than your average fantasie book to read normalfags just don't have the drive to read it, regardless of if they actually like it if they do. In some respects I would say LOTR is even harder

it's kind of boring tbqh but i mean whatever, ya know. not everything has to be super exciting and engaging i suppose. it's certainly a change of pace from what's you might expect of genrefic. it's pretty comfy too, as has been posted already
oh good call, LOTR is MUCH harder and for sure, shit New Sun is life in the fast lane compared to LOTR

I liked the first volume but the second one was kinda boring, still didn't read the rest. It feels like a random series of events with no real goal.

you fucked up man, EVERYTHING is related and resurrected later

It’s a Soy-filter. Soyboys just don’t get it. Neither do soy-allies like lesbians and atheists, so no surprise you don’t see it in libraries and book stores.

i just started but i was wondering why did they severian go to thrax? did they just like him? seems out of character for the guild to just let a crime like that go.

Keep reading. Everything is revealed eventually.

Well it was said that to kill him would bring great dishonor to the guild so they chose to exile him instead. And it seems Severian would have preferred death over exile didn't it. Anyway, probably other motivations behind it as other user said, dont know yet myself.

Stop writing like a fucking retard.

Since this is a Wolfe thread what the hell did I just read?

The Wizard Knight apparently.

It is hinted he much prefered exile and he wasn't very loyal to the guild.

Master Gurloes didn't have him excruciated because he was a cacogen and was himself travelling through time and thus knew Sev would become Autarch

this is an embarrassing misreading

Explain

>Is it really that good?

it's too Veeky Forums for genre-fiction plebs and not Veeky Forums enough for pseuds

If I recall correctly he wasn't actually a Cacogen, but instead one of those robot projection things? Fuck I have to reread this soon.

Gurloes might not have been human but Master Palaemon was definitely exiled from the guilt in his younger days and eventually returned.

just tell me its not "all a dream" in the end. ill be fucking pissed.

i have problem with it. i can understand why people like it. but it just feels like a rollercoaster. random events followed by other random events, abstruse and out of place. especially after 2/3 of the first book.
>b-but it all makes sense at the end!
yes more or less. still, i dont like how it was handled.

no you retard
you are poisoning your mind with these conventions, Gene Wolfe might be beyond you

That was an apparition of master G. at the end. The real one died and the alien took form of him so that Severian would be more at ease with the fact that we was now the absolute ruler who had the minds of hundreds in him.

American teenager becomes a fucking legend and makes his waifu real.

And it's one of the best novels of the century.

It's a genuinely strange, original and intelligent novel, and its target audience consists of ... sci-fi fans.

The phrase "pearls before swine" springs to mind.

I have appreciation for that book in the retrospective if that makes sense. While reading it, plot wasn't fulfilling but the writing was great.I wasn't very enjoyed, but now that I think of it, I really never read something that immersive, it felt kind of real, like a dream. Especially that whole journey, very dream like.

You should try reading it a second time

>Really pleases my autism in all the right way

>If you dont read this book [...] all the cool people will laugh at you
Wow, rude

Do the aliens have any connection to Fifth Head of Cerberus?

New Sun aliens? No.

SPOILERS

[spoilers]you just read the fevered myth of the sperm Garsecg[bold]/Able[Arnthor], who impregnated the egg Disiri, and then mythologized the struggle in the womb after he dropped off his brother Bold in the lake scene to become twin and the umbilical cord/parka's string almost strangled them, and then returned to Bold at the end to become an absorbed chimeric twin, fetal papyrus, to live only as a memory. Ymir means twin, the body they inhabit is the body of their mother, who probably dies in childbirth. Don't believe me? That's okay. Still working on the writeup for this. I will post a fragment so you can read it, but it is not at all near completion and needs much work as well as optimal reorganization. pastebin.com/hSkYMuiS

still trying to decide on the order and stuff so that people believe it.[/spoilers]

It's so insane that it's probably true

Is Marc back?

it is very good despite being fantasy/sci fi. it isn't mainstream because it is far too confusing for the average person to spend time on.

shit, most of the people i know thought Lincoln in the Bardo was an impossibly complex read. it is embarrassing.

Only for a few posts. I need to finish this damn book. I am at a point where I can only work on it when I feel inspired... got a few hours of writing in today. Maybe this weekend the magic will come back.

You are confusing Gurloes with Malrubius and Cacogens with Eidolons/Aquastors. Read the Lexicon Urthus and check out urth.net. With some effort everything will make a lot more sense.

What's up with the flying castle? What the fuck is its problem?

what flying castle

Severian and Dorcas see a flying castle in the sky and it's never seen again. What's up with that? A ship?

Was that the pelerines castle? I know that the torturers towers were ships, so likely that castle was as well. It could even have something to do with Jonas and his weirdo shipmate Agia hired, I don't remember

Yeah, whilst the overall backstory and plot is handled well most of the events in the books just feel like a weird assortment of coincidences where he stumbles into the same people over and over again. Like when he roams through the mountains and jungle for days before finding a solitary cabin, that Agia just happens to be hiding in.

The "Flying Castle" is the Pelerines giant canvas tent that held the alter of the Claw. After Agia steals the Claw and puts it in Severian's sabretache, the Pelerines burn the alter and the tent rises like a hot air balloon.