Just watched Blade Runner 2049. And I was thinking about read this book. Is it worth reading? I mean...

Just watched Blade Runner 2049. And I was thinking about read this book. Is it worth reading? I mean, I always had the sense that the two movies were waaay better than the novel itself.

Other urls found in this thread:

mpcdot.com/forums/topic/2847-do-paranoids-dream-of-electric-jews/
twitter.com/SFWRedditVideos

Ehhhh yeah maybe, I've not seen Blade Runner or the new one, but I read the book and was mostly uninterested. It wasn't great

I like the book better, but they’re really different. It’s short, go for it.

People who watch the movie first go in expecting “hurr durr was he a robot?” which the book doesn’t really gve a fuck about and so they usually end up disappointed.

>I always had the sense that the two movies were waaay better than the novel itself.
lol no. Why would you think this if you haven't read the book? What are you basing this unfounded opinion on?

Also, why do you have to ask if a book is "worth reading", especially a well-renowned book? Is it so difficult to simply read a book on by your own initiative?

There was a time not long ago when people went about their day making decisions without consulting the internet or social media.

The book doesnt give a fuck because its only an issue in the book for a couple chapters before it is demonstrated that he is indeed human.

I recently watched Blade Runner after reading Do Androids..., and I have to admit I thought the book was much, much better. Visuals aside, the movie was rather superficial and simplistic. The whole, "ohhhh is HE a replicant" plot device was a little too heavy-handed too.

>needing an encouragement speech to start reading a book
stop

Only after reading it did I realise how good Blade Runner might have been, if Scott wasn't such a superficial director obsessed with visuals.

The book is good but VERY different. Besides the main premise and some characters, they are different stories altogether, even the setting is vastly different.

Much better than both movies. It's also the best anti-semitic book out there if you're into that.

Anti-semitic? How so? I don't mind about spoilers.

Okay user.

I was semi-joking.
It never mentions Christianity or Judaism, but the contrast between unfeeling humans and androids (as opposed to regular human replicants in the movie) has Semitic undertones. The names of the characters are also important. Rachel (Jew wife of Jacob in OT) works for the Rosen Association as opposed to the very Waspy Tyrell Corporation. Philip K. Dick also predicted the rise of condescending (mostly Jewish) talk shows like Bill Maher with his character of Buster Friendly.

The main difference however is the ability to empathize, with the humans sharing a painful ordeal with a supernatural entity known as Mercer, which the androids are unable to understand. Similar to the suffering of Jesus Christ, to whom the Jews are opposed. There are further allusions, but if you look out for them the connections should be easy to make, I believe during this time Dick was having troubles with a Jewish love interest, to whom the book is dedicated, so take that into account.

>predicted the rise of condescending (mostly Jewish) talk shows like Bill Maher with his character of Buster Friendly.
That is a far stretch. And you've missed the pint of Buster Friendly; it's about alienation, not a condescending Jew host.

And the idea that any lit that mentions Jesus is automatically about Jews is also absurd.

>And the idea that any lit that mentions Jesus is automatically about Jews is also absurd.
I did not state this.
>missed the point
I do not think so, its been a while since I've read it, but there can be overlap between your take and mine. How is Buster Friendly about alienation?

To be honest, I was parroting much of this essay, which I haven't read in forever, so take a look and see what you think.

mpcdot.com/forums/topic/2847-do-paranoids-dream-of-electric-jews/

>How is Buster Friendly about alienation?
Are you kidding me?

>To be honest, I was parroting much of this essay
Yeah, I was under the impression you didn't know what you were talking about and didn't have much insight into the book. Did you actually read it or just read synopses/essays about it? It's hard to believe someone wouldn't understand why Buster Friendly isn't part of the whole theme of alienation.

I've read it, but its been nearly 3 years. Read the fucking essay if you are going to be a snotty cunt, unwilling to refresh my memory.

>Read someone else's work if you want my opinion
It truly is a Brave New World.

Shut the fuck up you retarded nigger! I told you to refresh my memory, you have failed to fulfill your duties as a faithful corespondent. You have continuously posted snarky and effeminate replies, your condescension has bern noted and you are going to burn in poasting hell forever and ever.

>tries to talk about something he doesn't know about, I mean "needs to be refreshed on"
>expects others to bring him up to speed so that he can continue expounding his expert opinion on the matter
Wow it must be fun having a conversation with you IRL. The funny thing is, you probably consider yourself above-average intelligence.

Great non-answer

I am above average intelligence, simply by not being a fat American cunt like yourself. I know you are American, I can smell it in your condescending and effeminate posts.

It's a pretty decent read, I read it before the movie myself and was pretty disappointed by what it had to offer in comparison to the book. Also, BR is kinda an antithesis to DADoES, so I definitely recommend checking the book out.
In terms of overall enjoyment for me:
BR 2049>DADoES>>>BR '82 (no matter the cut)