Veeky Forums

Veeky Forums

Going to a rehab for bipolar and alcoholism... had a heart condition that i couldn't handle and my life went down up down up and now lowest.

Want to work on my self / spiritual / proper mindset, stronger mindset of the world and its worth.

Any recommendations?

Other urls found in this thread:

pyramid.glass
twitter.com/SFWRedditImages

Tao Te Ching

Start with eating well.

The bible

Thanks lit

I got some Norman Vincent Peale.

Pier Hadot - Philosophy as a Way of Life and What is Ancient Philosophy?
Plato - Euthyphro, Apology, Crito, Phaedo, and Meno (often sold together)
Aristotle - Nicomachean Ethics
Epictetus - Enchiridion
Marcus Aurelius - Meditations
Seneca - Epistles

Durkheim - Suicide

Wish me luck

Nonfiction:
>Meditations by Marcus Aurelius (Hays translation only)
>Letters From a Stoic by Seneca
>War of Art by Steven Pressfield
>Flow by Mihaly Czikszentmihalyi
>Stumbling Upon Happiness by Daniel Gilbert
>Discipline Equals Freedom: Field Manual by Jocko Willink (can be replaced with Jocko Podcast or Jocko Podcast's YouTube channel's top videos, as most the parts of this book are literally transcribed from those videos)
>The Bible, King James Version, even if you're not religious, it's just a great moral code to live by.

Fiction:
>Swann's Way by Marcel Proust (watch the School of Life video on Proust first), and continue with the rest of In Search of Lost Time if you wish.
>The Dead (a short story in the collection 'Dubliners') by James Joyce (unless you've read Dubliners and Portrait, then read Ulysses and look up some chapter-by-chapters analyses and themes on Shmoop)
>The Brothers Karamazov by Dostoevsky. It'll make you believe in God, sort of.

buy xrp before it moons

Along with the Analects

I've been (Mis) diagnosed as bipolar.
Never felt like any institution has ever helped me

I don't think it's hard to know the right answer. I think the hard part is actually following through and doing it consistently.

For mindset I think reading in general helps. Reading the A Hamilton biography now and it's calming as fuck

Spiritually, I wish I could recommend my blog but I'm not a fan of anything I've written so far

pyramid.glass

I don't think it's for everyone anyway.

I think if you decide what the most important way to live is, and if instead of reading about it, you simply continue to think about it and form your own ideas. Then I think that's a pretty solid way to go

>thinking there is any escape from human suffering outside of arguably unobtainable ego death or just plain old eeqth itself
Ohh you poor poor miserable bastard
You and the rest or humanity that ever has lived and ever will live
Myself especially, self pitying sulking oaf that I am

The Bell Jar

This looks like a typical mass market paperback, but the author is a very savvy and rather brilliant academic who thinks outside the box in a very practical and clinically successful fashion. Highly recommended. The book deals with anxiety and addiction, among other things.

However, the strongest aspect of the book is its approach to mindset issues, which Burns addresses in a straightforward, effective way. In addition, he supplies abundant clinical evidence that supports his approach. Everything he does is driven by clinical evidence, and the current edition of the book reflects the ongoing reevaluation and refinement of his ideas as based on such evidence.

PS: I note that Burns is not anti-pharma. His position is that some people are benefited and need such drugs, and he supports their use in such cases.

You can learn to enjoy any one thing so it should go to stand that you can learn to enjoy life

edgy, sheep

Ahhh! Girls are the most beautiful when they cry,
Oh that was lovely, thanks OP

What's wrong with us? Hold me, user...

Are you dumb? It's over. If you didn't get on board in september then I'm lmaoing @ your fucking life

Is he Trump's master magician?

I'm a pharmacuck. I miss my sex drive but otherwise I am happy to not be in a hell of my own imagination.

>I'm a pharmacuck. I miss my sex drive
hmmm I wonder (((who))) could be behind this?

I still aant to possess a girl like an object. Maybe have a little sex. Freedom from overactive sex drive is a blessing.

What was the diagnostic process like for you guys? And what experiences made you think you were or weren't bipolar? I saw a psychiatrist about a year ago who diagnosed me with bipolar ii but I was so surprised and I didn't want to take antipsychotics so I dismissed it and went to a different psychiatrist. Lately I've been second guessing my dismissal of the diagnosis for a variety of reasons. I'll talk to a psychiatrist no matter what, just curious to hear others' experiences.

When I have been at really low points Rachel Carson's sea books have actually been really comforting to me. All her books aside from Silent Spring are about marine ecology, and they're really soothing and peaceful and help remind me of the beauty of the natural world and that I am a part of it. Seconding Brothers Karamazov as well. Spending time outside in a beautiful place helps me more than anything, try to take a long walk every day if you can.

Good luck user, I'll be thinking of you

Psychological commentaries on the teachings of gurdjieff and ouspensky

For me, I accepted that I probably have what doctors call bipolar when two separate and very different psychiatrists told me I had it. Also, my sibling has bipolar, and I behave a lot like my bipolar friends (and also, I seem to attract bipolar people for some reason.)

"Man's search for meaning" by Frankl, the stoics, and Schopenhauer's practical philosophy has really helped me accept my condition and find happiness.

Oh, and also:
>Daily aerobic exercise and weightlifting
>Vitamins and other supplements
>Avoiding tv and video games
>Reading a lot
>Meditation
>Not abusing drugs
Really helped. Therapy didn't help. Therapists are generally normies who don't really take their jobs seriously enough.