/SfFg/ - Science Fiction & Fantasy General

Accomplishment Edition
>what new knowledge did you learn from sff books in 2017?
>what new joys did you encounter from sff books in 2017?
>how many books did you explore?

FANTASY
Selected:
>imgoat.com/uploads/6d767d2f8e/21329.jpg
General:
>imgoat.com/uploads/6d767d2f8e/21328.jpg
Flowchart:
>imgoat.com/uploads/6d767d2f8e/21327.jpg

SCIENCE FICTION
Selected:
>imgoat.com/uploads/6d767d2f8e/21326.jpg
>imgoat.com/uploads/6d767d2f8e/21331.jpg
General:
>imgoat.com/uploads/6d767d2f8e/21332.jpg
>imgoat.com/uploads/6d767d2f8e/21330.jpg

NPR's Top 100 Science Fiction & Fantasy Books:
>imgoat.com/uploads/6d767d2f8e/21333.jpg

SF&F author listing with ratings and summaries:
>greatsfandf.com/authors-full-list.php

Previous Threads:

Other urls found in this thread:

imgoat.com/uploads/6d767d2f8e/21329.jpg
twitter.com/SFWRedditImages

We still have 2 more days.

What are some uncommon structures that are much less used than the 3-act structure.

>73 books
have you ever touched something with mire than 400 pages?

Not OP, but I read about that many in 2016, including all of Malazan.

That's a fair question. I read The Count of Monte Cristo this year, and it took me about a month! That's a lot of time for a book. I'm at 31 for the year. Several have been very long. I'm reading Oathbringer right now, and while it's light reading, the fucking thing is still, what, 1200 pages?

Has anyone else noticed how fantasy books always have the same few authors circle jerking each others' books on the front- and back cover? I don't know what they're called in English, but those shitty mini-reviews meant to entice you. Even random shit books do it, but when you've read a few fantasy books you start to notice the pattern. Do they do it willingly, I wonder, or is it just mutually beneficial shilling...

>what new knowledge did you learn?
gene wolfe can write
>what new joys did you encounter?
r.a salvatore's drizzt books are way better than i thought they'd be back when someone gave them to me as a gift, telling me they were good. i sort of wrote them off as trash dungeon n dragons fanfiction but they were pretty good.
as far as sff, not much. seems like everything in this genre is over 400 pages which really bogs down book read per year. which is fine cause its not about how many books you read.

probably mutually beneficial. if sanderson's quote made it onto my book you'd bet id say something nice about his.

i am thinking of reding sanderson but i need to know
does he have feminist shit?
like role reversal?

Out of the 75 books I read this year 3 were Warhammer novels, I reread Lotr and New Sun and that's it as far as sffg goes.

his books really mostly all are about how useless men are and women should be in all dominant positions in everything.

really?
then why everyone on sffg read him?

It's filled with retards or people who want anime. In most cases the groups coincide

I must've started reading 50 books this year while only finishing about 10 of them...

>Knowledge I gathered:
My granddad collected SciFi books.
>Joys I did encounter:
He owned everything from the storyline of "Perry Rhodan" (German SciFi Series, since 1961) from 1961 up to 2007.
>How many books?
Except for "Perry Rhodan", a full HumbleBundle and the "Eragon" series.

BTW, what do you guys think of the current Humble Book Bundle?

>what new knowledge did you learn from sff books in 2017?
I realized that there's literally nothing wrong with incest.
>what new joys did you encounter from sff books in 2017?
The joy of archeology. Both Lovecraft and H.G Wells were amazing authors.
43 or 44, depending on how much I read tomorrow.

>i realized that there's literally nothing wrong with incest

Gotta finish 1984 in the next 2 days to get my goal of 6 books.
Not sure if I'm going to try for 12 next year or not.
My only goal is to read Altered Carbon before the Netflix show comes out.

Ok so i just read wot and its fucking amazing
any other good wotlike books(i.e messianic characters)?

On a similar note, I read many SFF books this year, averaging fifty pages a day; and yet I was unable to bring myself to finish a number of well regarded volumes: Poul Anderson's Broken Sword, Olaf Stapledon's Star Maker, Alfred Bester's The Demolished Man. I could see that they were all well written, and I was able to finish far more mundane longer works, but these were all re-shelved after a hundred pages because they didn't interest me. Stapledon is the most interesting case because I enjoy the likes of Wells and Lovecraft.

My point is that critical accolades, popularity, and a like of similar authors is still no reliable indication of whether someone will enjoy reading a book.

Why Veeky Forums didn't said to me that Clarke is a fucking hack?

It would get tiresome.

What bizarre alternate-universe Sanderson novels have you been reading?

Isaac clarke?
ARE YOU FUCKING WITH ME HE IS A GOD

Jo-Ha-Kyu, it's the traditional Japanese style of making the ending suck on purpose and it's why most of your animes start out strong but peter out in the last few episodes.

You should have picked that up in high school.

WHEEL OF TIME FUCK YEAH!

Space Opera
And Planetary Romance

>Golden Age Pulp Magazines
Northwest Smith stories by C.L. Moore
Erik John Stark stories and Solar System stories by Leigh Brackett

>1960s New Wave
Babel-17 and Nova by Samuel R. Delany
The Centauri Device by M. John Harrison
Dune by Frank Herbert

>Modern
Hyperion by Dan Simmons
Revelation Space series by Alastair Reynolds
The Algebraist by Ian M. Banks

What are some other works Veeky Forums would recommend?
They must not only be fun, but also well written

So Sanderson's "mystery project" is revealed to be a new non Cosmere propertycaller Skyward

"The official pitch is this: Defeated, crushed, and driven almost to extinction, the remnants of the human race are trapped on a planet that is constantly attacked by mysterious alien starfighters. Spensa, a teenage girl living among them, longs to be a pilot. When she discovers the wreckage of an ancient ship, she realizes this dream might be possible—assuming she can repair the ship, navigate flight school, and (perhaps most importantly) persuade the strange machine to help her. Because this ship, uniquely, appears to have a soul."

He said think scifi version of "boy and his dragon" story

This sounds like the synopsis of a Robert Heinlein juvenile by way of Star Wars - a young woman living a humdrum existence dreams to be a pilot. Expect mean parents, a staunch companion, a salty old mentor, and a love interest. A man like Sanderson could probably write this without breaking a sweat because it sounds very derivative indeed - potentially an entertaining 180 page book that will be at least 400.

That reminds me of Dragon Masters, which is also a scifi version of the "Boy and his dragon" story where the remnants of the human race are trapped on a planet constantly attacked by mysterious aliens. I highly recommend it.

Lies! Basically different gender roles because guess what? It's a different role. And there's talk of it once people start getting super powers and how that impacts women's role in the army and shizzz. Not obnoxious at all

IS THORN OF EMBERLAIN OUT YET?

SOMEONE LOCK SOYBOY LYNCH IN A ROOM WITH HIS LAPTOP UNTIL HE FINISHES IT

Why aren't you lurking the fuck more, ESLfag? Headbutt a railroad spike then ask your mother why she didn't have the sense to swallow you.

Those quotes are called "blurbs", my ESL friend.

Publishing houses have their authors shill each other in blurbs. I don't know whether the authors are contractually obligated or whether they're paid individually but that's why you see the same ones over and over. A typical tactic is for publishers to have their big boys write blurbs for newcomers/midlist authors to get the hype up, although of course the A-listers "circle jerk" each other as well.

>over 400 pages which really bogs down book read per year
I have this same problem. I fix it by going to used book store and buying old books; they're rarely over 200 pages.

I read Choose Your Own Adventure, Where's Waldo, and comic books because it allows me to really drive up my book count for the year.

This is the third time you've posted this; the last two times I replied to you and got zero response. Fuck off.

I'm not recommending them to drive up the number of books read. They're just less bloated. Given the choice between reading a second-rate author's trilogy of 400 page books and reading six second-rate standalones I'll take the latter every time. The opportunity cost is lower, you get a greater diversity of reading experience, and you cycle through authors and stories faster which makes it easier to identify gems.

Really the whole field would be improved if authors released more 150-250 page standalones before embarking on their EPIC TALE. Unfortunately autists keep guzzling the epic gruel being produced.

You seem to have the makings of a chart there user.

>does he have feminist shit?
Not really.
Shallan is a annoying cunt and remains the lowpoint for the whole book.
And the retarded gender roles are questioned (man cant read, female shardbearers cant fight). but if you are triggered by this you could just stay in r9k/pol.

well
if there isnt "males suckz!!!!" i am okay with it
i mean i read wot and the gender shit doesnt make me mad

*sends you to the dictionary*

FUCK THIS CUNT

Webnovels are novels too

oathbringer will be fine for you.
>"males suckz!!!!" wot
how could you finish wot? I have zero problems with "feminist shit". but the backwards ideology and the tsundere love story with the bodyguard makes me rage 10 years after i finally stopped that series.
It is literally "males suck in everything" for thousands of pages.

I would have hated wot if it was agenda pushing, but it was lore, not political shit.
When the all powerful mages can only possibly be female and the male ones are mad and kill everyone near, its normal that people see males as "inferior".
Even the nigg character(tuon) doesnt get the "I AM A STRONK BLACK WOMAN AND I AM THE MOTHERFUCKEN EMPRESS, ALSO EGYPTIONS WERE BLACK DIDNT YOU KNOW??!".

Your vocabulary must be miniscule

I hate nerds and their shitty sci-fi, most nerds are concerned witb broing technobabble and make no effort to express themselves with their limited emotional concepts. They are often physically and socially retarded, having little understanding of the human.

>It is literally "males suck in everything" for thousands of pages.

How the fuck can anyone actually get this from Wheel of Time? You must have dropped it half way through the first book, or else you're actually mentally disabled.

>tfw bought the complete WoT collection from a charity shop
At first I thought it was a good idea but now I have 12 books that are between 600-800+ pages each to get through.

should have been the third or fourth book and it was +10 years ago.
what i remember is the romance between the bodyguard and (for a lack of a better word) the tsundere,
and a bit about the world (female magic, man shouldnt be trusted with anything important, great evil, only hope is a boy which will turn mad because magic or something).
so yeah i stopped mostly because the cunt/bodyguard romance was the most annoying thing that i have ever read and i cant forget about it.

You must have been an extremely retarded kid, because nothing about the relationship between Lan and Moiraine is romantic and your interpretation of most of the series is totally backwards. Hell the Aes Sedai as a whole are presented as a bunch of nattering morons who think they're superior because they live in an ivory tower on an island shaped like a vagina, their being "superior" is entirely pretense.

>nothing about the relationship between Lan and Moiraine is romantic
mmh this would kinda explains my troubles with it, i like good romantic scenes.
>You must have been an extremely retarded kid
agree. but i will give wot another try in 2018 and skip the lan/moiraine scenes.

Lan and Moiraine's scenes are extremely plot integral and they show up in pretty much every chapter of the first 3 books, you can't skip them.
A better idea would be to read it and actually pay attention this time.

>Aes Sedai as a whole are presented as a bunch of nattering morons who think they're superior
Well they are seen as they can use magic.

>all Aes Sedai are women
>the live on an island shaped like a vagina
What did Robert Jordan mean by this? It really makes you think.

>Well they are seen as they can use magic.

And they are woefully inept even compared to the wise ones who barely channel at all, the Green Ajah gets completely blown the fuck out when it actually comes time to engage in battle with the power because, just like the Forsaken keep saying, they're ignorant children playing with powers they barely understand. I could go deeper into it, but the guy I don't want to post spoilers because I was responding to someone who had only read the first 3 books.

>this dude
What are his best books?

>skipping two of the best characters
Just don't read the books lmao

The concept of gender is not flat out ingored, if thats what you mean.
It doesnt get in the way of characters or story at all. It wont bother you, trust me.

true
but nynaeve is best than moiraine

Book of the New Sun
>messianic characters
Yea
>wotlike
Not really

>the live on an island shaped like a vagina
Wouldn't erosion naturally change an island trapped in a river into that shape, though?

Erosion doesn't give an island a clitoris though.

any fantasy book with an oriental setting? like japan or china

Females are the only reason there needs to be a last battle in the first place in the WoT series and why Saidin is tainted, if they weren't a bunch of bitches and cowards who refused to help Lews Therin the seal on Shaitan's prison wouldn't have been flawed, Saidin wouldn't have been tainted, and the 100 companions wouldn't have all been driven insane.

Tales of the Otori triology I suppose

The Crimson Queen by Alec Huttson, it's surprisingly good.

i don't get how you autists managed to keep interest through 12 volumes of bad fantasy. i dropped that series at volume 4 or 5 when it really lost the plot.

fuck meant to reply to

>hurr durr implying
If they had helped both Saidin and Saidar would be tainted, which is why Rand not only brought Moiraine and Nynaeave but also Mordin so they could use the True Power to protect Saidin and Saidar from the Dark One during the sealing of the bore.

Journey to the west

because i knew that it would slow down thus i was prepared
but i like the setting, i mean messianic characters are amazing, also good characters that go mad trying are amazing as well.

>Gubble me more, she said. Gubble gubble me, put your gubbish into me, into my gubbish, you Gubbler. Gubble gubble, I like gubble! Don't stop. Gubble, gubble gubble gubble, gubble!
What did he mean by this?

Modern fantasy is in a giant feedback loot in which poorly socialized autists eagerly buy volumes of padded-out, overdescribed filler; publishers see this and keep cranking out the sausage. Only autists can/want to read this dreck, so the cycle continues.

there are any good fantasy scifi book?
like scifi with sword and magic?
like wheel of time in that magic is science?

B-

oh, i see. this is bait

why bait
its serious user
not everything is bait

ESL EVERYONE

Started reading this following a recommendation from the last thread. I'm at about 25% in and Reynolds just blew it for me.

His dialogue is straight forward at best and feels utterly scripted, which is something I can deal with. Most of the characters are utterly one dimensional. That's annoying but tolerable, at least the captain is interesting enough.
But how the fuck do you write so many words and basically ignore the possible aliens in favor of boring ass company politics or chain-of-command drama and a bit of corruption? Who the fuck cares about that? And what's with this weak as fuck setup concerning their fuel reserves? It's like the weakest version of PLOT-DEVICE FOR LATER ON I've read in a long time.

A pity, the beginning was intriguing.

>"A deathly trap waits for the colonists on mars"
>not deadly
d-does it want vcards?

Sounds like trash desu senpaitachi

I thought blurps were the small descriptions of the story on the back?

blurps are what GRRM emits after three bowls of soup

Reynold's isn't a very good writer. Decent ideas and he clearly knows what he's on about with his extended universe, but like you say characters and dialogue are just foreign to him. Don't understand all the hype, unless people like how he emulates classic scifi style which is also pretty cardboard.

there are any books of fantasy with good romance like wheel of time?

Is mistborn good?

the first trilogy is a classic though Sanderson's weakness on character building is on full display

the current set has been pretty gud too

Thanks.

dude how i hate the black tower
>only exist cause rand
>rand cleansed the taint
>DREGON ABENDONED UZ, LOGAYN IS UR LEADZ

>Reynold's
Phoneposters should be shot.

It gets much worse. I wish I hadn't finished.

>FANTASY
>Selected:
>>imgoat.com/uploads/6d767d2f8e/21329.jpg

1st Law is there but not Malazan? Go fuck yourself whoever compiled that.

So I’m a big fan of Game of Thrones (the show) and wanted to know is reading the books worth the time if I already know the story, even beyond the books??

GoT is just not worth the time, other than to have fun ruining /tv/ threads with spoilers.

I tried to get into the books after watching the show but because I already knew the story and characters I just couldn't. The books do differ from the show eventually but that much so in the first few books.

Try The Wheel of Time instead. Nothing like GoT but still good.

malazan?
FUCKIGN WHEEL OF TIME ISNT IN IT
HOW CAN WHEEL OF TIME NOT BE INSELECTED
SFFG IS BRAINLET