Applications

Would someone mind reading my admission essay to New York University? I'm trying to make it Veeky Forumserary but I don't know how to personalize and make it sound nice.

halp.

The prompt is something like Why NYU and your preferred major ???

I am interested in the Stern School of Business, and would love the opportunity to make the absolute best use of my education were I to attend. some applicants think about their college education as a type of investment, for a future career or to make money elsewhere, but I would like to take any time at NYU to invest in my own intellectual and academic growth. I do know that attending NYU would bring great potential career opportunities, and this does add to the allure of attending NYU and Stern School of Business, but I find it even more appealing to learn economics at this college because I appreciate the subject on its own. Given the opportunity, I would like attend NYU for more than pragmatic purposes. I want to go to college to do something that I care about, and I intend to pursue economics. Economics is particularly intriguing because for me at least, economics is a way to predict the future. Although public opinion hasn't always lent credence to economist' words and research, NYU professors as an example have questioned and provided answers for salient issues, like executive compensation. I find reducing the world to mathematics to be especially important and there isn't a single thing I'd like to do more than that. Economics informs public policy and dictates resource allocation. An NYU education will certainly give me the opportunity to learn about economics in New York, which will provide me with the resources given by the center of modern business and finance. I see New York as the epicenter for business in the modern world. New York University's alumni, from academia to and especially business show me how obviously comprehensive and effective an NYU education is, and I wouldn't pass this opportunity for anything else. I don't know what my end goal is as a result of my potential enrollment at NYU, but I know there will be a wealth of options should I attend and I find the options afforded to me by NYU and New York City as a whole to be particularly appealing. For these reasons, I have decided to apply early decision II to NYU so that I can get the most out of my university education.

>admissions program automatically google searches your entire essay to check for plagiarism
>this thread comes up
>anonymous
>grounds for plagiarism

Submit as is. You don't know how to use commas and can't write a few hundred words without shoehorning the name of the school or filler words to take up space. You'll fit right in at business school.

>I find reducing the world to mathematics to be especially important and there isn't a single thing I'd like to do more than that.

Lol.

But really, boi, stop fucking lying. Just write something honest. Are you Indian? People can see right through blanket bottomfeeding like this.

>economics
>because I appreciate the subject on its own
uhhhhh yeah OK kid
>I find reducing the world to mathematics to be especially important and there isn't a single thing I'd like to do more than that.
Lmfao

You should write about how you want to use your NYU education to create more opportunities for oppressed groups like women and minorities. I'm kind of serious, it will probably work.

>some applicants think about their college education as a type of investment, for a future career or to make money elsewhere, but I would like to take any time at NYU to invest in my own intellectual and academic growth
ROFL
Maybe you should be a humanities student with a show of attitude like that. Post-secondary IS an investment in your future, that's the entire fucking point, and is accomplished BY MEANS OF investing in your own intellectual advancement; meanwhile you frame yourself to only care about is intellectual wankery for the sake of wankery, not for the purpose of actually being something. Definitely unbecoming of a future student.

Arts school and serving fries seems more up your alley, kid.

at best, they'll know he browses the most toxic place on the internet

actual stern alum here

you should probably consider suicide

Bro what the fuck? This is the most aimless, limp twisted, generic sop I've ever read. Are you going for undergrad or mba? Confused because it's Stern but the prompt mentions major. If you're undergrad you better whip up a new essay thats not full of bullshit platitudes about the beauty of knowledge. Also,
>"I don't know what my end goal is"
That's some weak shit and only acceptable for kids with high demonstrated potential, which seems like you are not. Btw if you are applying for grad you should just stop now

As a humanities grad, I'm kinda offended by your insinuation. No humanities student would be allowed to graduate if they were as vague, circuitous, and illiterate as OP

Not op, But how do I write a compelling essay?

Realize it's not about you. It's about the reader and what they can gain from you. Any essay. It's about conveying a point and doing it succinctly and with purpose. Don't deviate from the point. Otherwise you end up like op, who doesn't know what he's saying and it shows.

Care to share any good examples?

I was going to talk about the kind of relevant work experience and projects that I did, "aha!" moments that made it click for me and how the degree would fit into my career goals (PhD, academia etc..)

What do you think ?

OP without being needlessly harsh your essay comes across as something written by a hopelessly naive child or a disingenuous person much less clever than he believes himself to be. The rhetoric, if it can be called such, is nothing but sappy platitudes written with grammar that would only pass in a high school remedial English course.

You apparently have taken the prompt to mean you should suck up to the school and its alumni as much as possible, yet you did not mention a single specific thing you actually liked or admired about the school. Not a single program, or institution, or faculty member, or tradition, or statistic. They lob a slow one right over the plate, giving you a chance to tell them exactly how motivated and excited you are to participate in their institution and community and you don't even take a swing.

As if the phony praise is not bad enough you also make yourself out to be an aimless, goalless academic drifter with no personality and no interests. You did not even take the chance to brag about yourself or your accomplishments. The entire point of an essay like this is for you to show that you've done research and know what the school is about, have a plan for what you're going to do once you're there so you're not wasting yours and everyone else's time, and can actually add something of value to their institution by participating. Schools like this want students to graduate into successful alumni, who while not always donating add to the school's reputation.

TL;DR you did everything wrong. Either start over and this time don't write like an absolute utter imbecile or give up going to any serious school.

Be true to your ideas and your perspective. Don't create a facade that has everything you think people want to hear, that's what the OP did and you can see how shitty it turned out. If you're not sure what your perspective is then it's time to dig deep and figure that out, because you've got no business trying to compel anyone to your point of view if you can't even articulate what that is.

Be accurate, be factual, but put effort into the presentation. Any academic worth his salt can churn out ASSERTION + QUOTE FROM SOURCE + EXPLANATION OF QUOTE TO BACK UP ASSERTION + SEGUE TO NEXT ASSERTION for infinite pages. Yeah this gets the job done and as long as you stick to the facts nobody can call it bullshit, but it's boring and trite and shows little imagination. Plus it's very easy to write a "spaghetti essay" that just goes on and on, heaping more and more sources and quotes and arguments on top of each other. You can make it more digestible with some editing, to make it flow more naturally, but the end result is still a rather drab, predictable format that is a chore to read.

So put some thought into organization, think about framing devices, about voice. It's possible to convey a strong distinct voice as an academic writer without losing objectivity or inserting yourself into the paper. Word choice and tone are important. Think about how you want people to feel reading your paper, not just what you want to convince them of. How people feel about something is almost as important as whether they believe or agree with it.

I am a STEM pseud who just got done reading crime and punishment and don Quixote. The one thing I've figured while thinking about this is that I should write for the effect I am trying to achieve i.e. focus on how people should feel while they read what I wrote.

Apart from that, I got very little out of what you said. I've heard people mention 'voice' before. So I am going to look that up and some of the other terms that you mentioned.

Could you break down what you just wrote so a layperson like me could understand and incorporate some of your advice?

This, OP what the fuck are you thinking?

You've gotta have a focal point, this is incredibly convoluted. Use one pivoting accomplishment you'd like to discuss and branch out from there- like research you'd like to do, or how you would plan to take advantage of their study abroad programs carrying what you've gained there to the US, etc. This isn't about selling yourself, you need to show admissions why you would be an asset to their school. Why should I, an NYU official, care that you would be able to land a good job upon graduation?

Voice is the personal qualities of a writing, as distinguished from the higher level organizational parts of it or the information contained in it. In terms of bare bones grammatical pieces, I'm talking about things like sentence structure, word choice, and literary devices (metaphors, similes, etc), the nitty-gritty of style. All writers have patterns in these things that distinguish them, but in academic writing most people try to mute these natural patterns and adopt what they believe is a neutral, professional tone. The result though is a very dry, dull paper lacking in impact, even if its argument is sound and its information is accurate.

Finding a clear, consistent voice is something young writers all strive to do, because having a strong, identifiable voice is the mark of a good writer. It's not easy to do, and for academic papers it's a tall order to just be able to suddenly have this brilliant original voice in your writing, but it's something to keep in mind and to strive toward. Be aware of how the words you choose, the sentences you construct, convey your personality and how you think to the people reading your paper. Humans are very good at spotting patterns in things, and one of the first things people will spot in an essay is repetitive usage of certain words or phrases. Make sure that when people do that to your essay they are only finding things you WANT them to find.

This is some solid advice. Thank you.

What about using literary devices? Should I even attempt those? Framing , for instance, I was going to start my essay with an altruistic take on a project that I did. Would something like this work in my favor?

I would be wary of framing devices, they can come off as preachy or overly precious. I've found the best framing devices are intrinsically linked to the paper's thesis in some way, and are used to reinforce the arguments. Just as an example, when I was doing a grant writing project for a native org my group decided to use the story of one of the elders as a framing device for showing the importance of the communal garden to serving the community and preserving culture. I thought the first draft we had for it was amazing but unfortunately we couldn't get him to give us the interviews we needed for everything so we had to scrap it since it had too many holes.

For literary devices, experiment a bit. Maybe not in an admissions essay/dissertation, but if you find yourself writing a term paper or something try to sprinkle in some creative language. It'll probably feel awkward at first, but making it feel natural is part of finding your voice. Adapt your language. If it feels really out of place then that's probably a sign that your normal tone is much different than what you're attempting. Reading through your stuff outloud and see how that sounds. Do you find yourself going monotone a lot? Is there a cadence to what you're saying, or just a jumble of complicated sentences? I highly recommend reading aloud or asking somebody else to read it aloud, it illuminates a lot about your style as a writer.