Is this worth the read? What kind of person would enjoy this?

Is this worth the read? What kind of person would enjoy this?

Someone in their 40's, born in the middle-upper class or higher, preferably with a high tolerance for the fine arts, healthy knowledge of literature and the world that it can still afford you surprises at such an age, an acute sense of nostalgia, and the sense that something in your life is missing, and it's not earth-shatteringly important that you find out what, but in your journey through life and exploration of your memory it would be pleasant if you did

In other words, they must also like food

everyone who has ever experienced >tfw no gf. if eliot rodger read swann's way he might still be alive

I strongly identify with him. Aside from his philosophically brilliant and stylistically delightful epic, In Search of Lost Time (which every living human should read), I identify with Proust as a person and an artist. You see, according to letters from Proust to his loved ones, he was a chronic masturbator.

Not like your average adolescent, we're talking 10-15 times a day, well into his late 30s. It's no wonder he didn't start seriously writing ISOLT/Swann's Way until the late age of 38, because his wrist must've been devoid of cartilage by age 35 requiring strenuous recovery, like how some 30-year-old NBA players have the knees of an 80-year-old after a modest career. And who could blame him? His hands wrote the most masterful human creation ever, as art is the most superior form of human creation, literature the most superior form of art, and ISOLT the most superior work of literature; I'm not gay but I would enjoy a handjob from Proust's divine hands, the only tribute to art that comes close, I imagine, would be to pierce the canvas of the Mona Lisa smile with your cock and fuck Mona Lisa's mouth in the Louvre.

I too have this problem of chronic masturbation, it's a curse. But it comforts me knowing that there is an upper echelon of chronic masturbators who are brilliant artists and philosophers and minds throughout human history. It comforts me knowing that when I die there might be a glowing castle in the clouds where all the great chronic masturbators throughout history occupy, and Proust, from the highest tower, upon seeing my one normal arm and muscular arm with a chaffed lumberjack palm, blows smoky stardust from his divine pipe and shouts "Lower the drawbridge, he's one of us!", and I am greeted with Target 5 for $5 hand creams as I take my rightful place in eternity.

It's a close second to Ulysses as the greatest work of art of all time

Better than Ulysses but not as good as Treasure Island

our fucking guy

The opening paragraph alone is very good to get a feel if the thing is for you. It most likely is anyways, it is a pretty universal work in many regards.

You just convinced me to read ISOLT.

can I read this without starting with the greeks?

is this a good read for someone who has not yet experience most of the pleasures and sufferings of life or should one wait until it's experience?

A Pythagorean-platonic knowing of the modern age and it's beautiful

Read it now and read it later. It’ll only get better with age

If anyone here has read both translations, is the Lydia Davis translation more enjoyable?

This is actually brilliant

The funniest thing about this picture is the fact that he volunteers at the local soup kitchen naked

plus that's a salad...

You saying homeless people cant eat salads? Idiot

I've heard that it's good, but that she didn't translate the entire thing.

Save it for your menopause doryo

>but that she didn't translate the entire thing.

Penguin wanted different translators for each volume for some reason. I don't think translation matters that much for In Search of Lost Time. They all read like masterpieces of English prose.

No it isnt, the Overture is not the same as the rest of Swann's Way. The rest spends pages talking about the history of a church in a village in France to setup characters that wont come for ages. The Overture is an immediate experience of a small boy in his room looking at warm lights on his ceiling while listening to his family downstairs.

I did not like Swann's Way, but the Overture is something else.

I love you

I love food

/thread

this is pasta? it will be if it isn't already.

It’s better than Ulysses and Joyce recognized that, that’s why he was such a cantankerous cunt when he met Proust

Will it make me feel better about 2 years I wasted by being a complete NEET and now feel the urge to overcompensate by doing too much, or will it make me even more insecure/depressed?

read it and find out!

wait wait wait, treasure island is good? I thought it was a kids book! I likes stevensons prose though...hmm

he looks like he could be my sisters bfs imaginary brother

You'll want a copy of this after as well

The first book has lesbians in it if that will get you to read it.

Yes, unlike Ulysses this doesn't really call back to the Greeks at all.