I’ve read both the Way of Men and Becoming a Barbarian. I’m not entirely impressed...

I’ve read both the Way of Men and Becoming a Barbarian. I’m not entirely impressed, but I do think that neotribalism as a thought, has potential. I think his view of masculinity is restricted. I think more insights from anthropology and evolutionary psychology would make for a less restricted view of masculinity, while the universal features of masculinity would remain. It has been some time since I’ve read it, but what I remember now as missing are concepts such as prestige, generosity and shamanism. The latter might seem strange in our day and age, and I think that it is necessary, also with tribalism itself, to reinvent it and not be tied down by theory all too much. Donovan relies much on certain aspects of masculinity while forgetting that, at least in our evolutionary past, many aspects were important in our survival.

I think the tyranny of our days is a cultural and systematic one. I think the system and the culture demand cultural conformity while tolerating shallow individualism. It is interesting how the current zeitgeist includes the paleodiet and some kind of paleofitness, but I think paleodiet misses the point too. Something like anarcho-primitivism misses the point too.

Both are restrictive, and anthropology (biological, evolutionary) debunks both, whereas research in nutrition debunks parts of paleodiet too. I think that tribalism has to potential to be liberating if it means that heterogeneous tribes can develop, and that there is some free movement for individuals to find their own tribe.

I hope this intro provokes some discussion and not be restricted to Donovan’s book only. I have several anthropology and evolutionary psychology books I would like to either share or discuss.

Donovan is a practising homosexual. You bought the e-book of a bubonic butt bandit so he could teach you to be a man TM.

As for the contents of the shitty book. You can go suck a dudes dick in a public park with the rest of your "tribe" but the rest of the world that holds onto industrial infrastructure is going to be just a little more influential than you and Davey Cumbeard

Industrial society is cancer enslaving men, and technology paves its way to hell.

>i dont like him therefore its wrong

Veeky Forums recommend me a book to help me man up

my diary desu

literally just got the green light to be the leather daddy faggot you want to be what more do you want

Traditional masculinity exists out of the virtues it takes to ward off danger from the in-group in a world with limited technology.

Now that traditional danger no longer really exists in the first world there is no way to keep masculinity alive. It's like trying to stay muscular without working out.

All people have these days are the symbols of masculinity, so guys like Donovan look jacked and tattooed and grow facial hair but if you look at their everyday lives they live no different from other civilised Westerners. Of course there are mild exceptions with guys who go to war abroad or do MMA, but even they are extremely domesticated compared with actual warriors of old.

Manliness is deprecated. The only way to bring it back is to take down civilisation with some sort of catastrophe and then we can all go Mad Max and the men with masculine traits will naturally rise to the top.

If not, the trend society is steering us towards is basically the stereotypical alien. A relatively weak and frail body because all physical tasks are light, and a large brain and eyes because all of our actually important activities are cerebral and virtual.

Good post.
>You can go suck a dudes dick in a public park with the rest of your "tribe" but the rest of the world that holds onto industrial infrastructure is going to be just a little more influential than you and Davey Cumbeard
I don't care much about being influential. It is a lot of luck. I don't understand much of it, but we are in a non-linear system and there's stuff like power laws. And other spooky shit that only people like Stuart Kauffman and Yaneer Bar-Yam understand.

Of course in our environment a tribe or gang advocated by Donovan will probably end up being larping. Unless you want to join an actual gang and experience the 'full fun' of Donovan's masculinity, like getting raped, locked away or killed.

I can even agree it is a shitty book, I didn't like it that much, but I like the idea of integrating ways of living we have evolved with. I think that there are enough people who share the feeling that we don't fit in our current environment. But maybe that's me.

A lot of our problems are due to evolutionary mismatches. And unless we evolve we can only change the environment.

*muffled sounds of Muslims raping and exploding in the distance*

So does this guy just explain why dudes like being in frats or what

Basically yes
And he says more frats are needed

There's a reason they have to resort to surprise terror attacks, they're almost completely powerless and they suck at warfare. And it's not like a manly man can fight off a nail bomb suddenly going off on the bus.

Also, terrorism actually makes the world even safer because for every tiny incident in the world the rest of it ramps up security and government increases surveillance with the support of scared citizens.

Once we start having chips in our body and/or start practising sousveillance the possibilities get even smaller.

China already has specific software to track religious minorities and works with cell phone tracking heatmaps to have live awareness of any possible groups forming to prevent riots. And everyone's online communication is also monitorable. We're entering a brave new world of security by transparency. We will start to live our lives as if someone will be constantly watching, just like we did when we thought God was watching and judging us, only this time the consequences will be direct and of this world.

Time to become a very good citizen before the net closes completely.

Yeah, there should be frats for old people. I guess there are the masons, but they've fucked up rush so bad this last decade lodges arr shutting down all over the place.

Middle aged men just want to tap kegs and haze each other

>leather
I prefer naked and oiled for battfuak, but whatever takes your fancy

You faggots have obviously never been deployed to Combat or lived a lifestyle geared towards war. It's far from domesticated. And life after combat isn't so easy and soft. You dweebs lament the fall of masculinty but won't go out and do 'masculine' things. It's not supposed to be handed to you. There's always been littkw weak men in every tribe. They are a necessity.

>dude killing other with a remote controlled drone is the same that kill with a spear
Retard

Lmao don't talk about shit you don't know kid. Mujihadeen know how to fucking fight. nd they fight hard. These dudes will get in gun fights for days while we fly fucking jets over them. They aren't scared. And they want blood. We all respect them for their fucking balls out there. They are real warriors. AK in their hand when they are born, the same AK their grandpa killed Soviets with.

>Impkying the last ten yards can be secured with drones.
Hey Lil buddy I know it's hard to believe but doors have to get kicked down and real people have to go in and kill people.

>razing third world countries to the ground
>extolling any masculine virtue whatsoever

>Jack Donovan

You are not wrong

>Muh honorable combat

Well there's stuff I want(ed) to discuss but I feel like this thread has been a disaster. I still need to read it but I think Tribe by Sebastian Junger argues what I was trying to say much better.

It is more about building tight-knit communities than masulinity really. My own issue is that my individualism and the need to belong clash. What I do dislike is how the corporate and political world co-opt masculinity for their own profit.

No one is necessarily lamenting it or praising it. It's just what it is. If you do, why do you think it is so important for even guy? That is just one way of living.

i mean for every tribe actually.

I'm not saying that soldiers aren't somewhat hard cunts compared to regular people, just that they aren't hard cunts compared to warriors of old.

Doing a Humvee patrol in between eating McDonalds at the air conditioned base is very different from being an infantryman in Caesar's legions.

They know how to resist when you yanks come meddling with their affairs, but that's something different from a conquering army that can actually take over and hold a Western country.

Jihadists aren't an existential threat to Western society.

Nicomachean Ethics to see what duties belong to a man
Zorba the Greek to learn about the application of those elements
Hemmingway/Dashiell Hammett for further reference

don't you feel bad bombing these warriors fighting for their people because it serves the interest of your jewish masters?

you're basically a mercenary against the virtious.

This books is being currently discussed on /pol/. We would love to have you there.

Oh wow, we have a genuine tough guy here fellas.