Books you liked when you were Young

Books you liked in your early teenage years or middle school days

When I was a small boy:
>Goosebumps
When I was a teenager:
>the Harry Potter series
>Stephen King books (especially Misery)
I still enjoy Stephen King. Yes, I'm a pleb.

>None
>tfw the only novels you read in middle school were shitty spicc Christian novels

Post the shitty spic Christian novels, user. I'm curious.

>same minus Harry Potter, plus miscellaneous YA novels

So what is this? Infantilized bible stories?

Percy Jackson, nibba

Why did you read a Harry Potter knockoff instead of Harry Potter?

I used to read the Greeks growing up. I loved the stories of old mythology the most. Obsessed over them in fact. I hate seeing shit like Percy Jackson come out these days. I also loved goosebumps and a series of unfortunate events.

But I remember growing into a philistine. Became quite like a Luddite when I hit high school because I was severely neglected and was quite depressed by it.

Just recently I am rediscovering how good it feels to learn. Anyway. just take another shitty brainlet post. Just trying to take an open look behind me.

I read both

Harry Potter, then Tolkien, then read a load of Bernard Cornwell novels in my mid-late teens, then transitioned over a few years into pretty much exclusively reading literary fiction, with the occasional fantasy schlock as a guilty pleasure

Not him, but I also read Percy Jackson. I found Percy Jackson before Harry Potter. Not saying they're better books, but a few things would support such a statement:
1. Summer Camp is more fun than the British School system.
2. Fighting monsters with swords, shields and stuff is so much cooler than shaking a stick at them,
3. Since they were written for Riordan's ADD addled adolescent, they're fast paced. This works just fine for books written for ages thirteen and up.

The Hobbit

We had to read this in tenth grade. I used to just read goosebumps as a kid but stopped reading books for a couple years. This got me back into it.

I read a lot of Clancy as a teen

Putting this with the post would've been nice

Child: Treasure Island
Middle School: pic related
High school: the greeks

Ah yes, Harry Potter

In elementary school: Narnia. All of it. Lewis' style of storytelling is just really appealing to kids. I'm saying that as a compliment, of course.

Robin Hood
desu I still like it

Classic taes like that are honestly great reads for kids. Sometimes they need to be abridged or cleaned up a bit, but they're so much fun.

Ray Bradbury anthologies

Edger Allen "cousinfuckin" Poe

Middle school to early teenage years; my favorite stories were Romeo and Juliet, The Old Man and the Sea, 1984, Animal Farm, The Outsiders, Labyrinths, The Last Question, Harrison Bergeron. I've never really had a trash phase.

i fucking loved discworld through my early teens

No, but you've clearly had a school's choice phase.

That's true. I even read the dictionary cover to cover in middle school.

I really enjoyed this book

The Golden Compass and Rangers Apprentice series

>read the first three books when I was like 7-10
>read the hobbit in 7th grade
>literally can't remember a single sentence from either
Anybody else forget everything they read before High School?

unironically Dan Brown

Lord of the Rings, Narnia, Harry Potter, silly little fantasy series by guys like Piers Anthony and Robert Asprin.

Did you like to stretch your legs as a kid?

The Giver, Series of Unfortunate Events, Wrinkle in Time, generic kids fantasy crap

Appart from Harry Potter and the like, I was crazy about White Fang and Robinson Crusoe. When I came across Ender years later I loved it, to me it's the same tipe of novel.
At 14 or so I discovered Princes of Maine Kings of New England, which is a bit dark to be understood at that age but was obviously very attractive. I was also trying to read things way over my understanding because I was an infatuated lonely kid :(

My nigga

>little kid
Where wild things are
>kid
The Hobbit
LoTR
>Teenager
The Chronicles of Narnia (all seven books)
Harry Potter
assorted YA novels

>you will NEVER live on a small quad of old stone buildings with leaded windows
>you will NEVER steer a gondola as your qt RP-accented gf giggles and tells you not to crash
>you will NEVER take a walk along the river with your qt privately educated girlfriend on a frosty February
>you will NEVER attend a formal ball with your qt Hermione-esque gf who blushes when she sees your reaction to the dress she's wearing
>you will NEVER have an hour-long discussion with a jaded, witty professor who finds you "utterly intriguing" and leave his office to find your qt gf pretending to read an advertisement pinned to his noticeboard
>you will NEVER ride old-fashioned bicycles across cobblestone streets beside your qt gf and laugh as you speed down a hill with your legs outstretched
>you will NEVER share a cheap bottle of red wine with your qt Home Counties gf while listening to Cocteau Twins in her dorm with candles providing the only light
>you will NEVER arrive a little late to a raucous, controversial debate at the Union and sneak in with your qt gf, ducking and offering whispered apologies as you make your way to some spare seats
>you will literally, unironically NEVER take a slow walk beside your qt vaguely artistocratic gf through the fallen leaves of a quiet park and make her smile as she clutches her coursebooks across her chest
>you will NEVER sit in a small concert theatre and watch your qt gf playing viola and experience a overwhelming feeling of pure love for the girl you one day hope to marry
>you will NEVER run through heavy rain to your qt elite gf's dorm and have her hug your drenched coat and hair as you provide whispered encouragement about her exam the following day
>you will NEVER stand on the lighted porch of your home watching your parents through the frosted glass as they approach to open the door and feel your bookish gf squeeze your hand a little tighter
>you will NEVER read Cat on a Hot Tin Roof in bed with your refined intelligent gf and try to stop yourself from laughing as she adopts different and exaggerated accents for the characters she's voicing
>you will NEVER sit at the dinner table in your qt posh gf's home and have her mother express her genuine shock at the fact you're from a poor background and have her father respect you a little more for turning out the way you have despite that
>you will NEVER sit up in bed still half-asleep and slowly unwrap one of the gift's your qt attentive gf got you for your birthday and have her stand with her hands behind her back with her lips pursed in anticipation of your response to the books she has spent time researching in the hope they will be ones you enjoy

my negro!
it's a series they are the story of a kid that goes trough tribulations growing up, they are kinda like a self help book but not really I mean it's supposed to help kids going through the first years of adolescence

My teacher made us read The Outsiders in the fifth grade, and after having reread it this past year I have to admit that it still remains to be the best book I was forced to read for school.

In my free time I read and enjoyed the Warriors, Artemis Fowl, Percy Jackson, Series of Unfortunate Events, and Harry Potter series, plus random YA novels like Hatchet and Tuck Everlasting. Everything else I read I can't remember.

How has my taste aged, guys?

I enjoyed Hatchet as a young boy

Anything about ancient Egypt
The Hobbit
The Blue Sword
A Little Princess (legitimately pretty good)
Watership Down
My Side of the Mountain
The Martian Chronicles
The Catcher in the Rye

I loved A Series of Unfortunate Events/Harry Potter/His Dark Materials but I was a lit snob as a child and was a little embarrassed about reading YA series. Around age 12 I was obsessed with reading forbidden books like Naked Lunch and A Clockwork Orange.
Anyone else learn to read when they were 2?

My man. You ever get around to reading the other books? I didn't find out until recently that it's the first book out of five.

forgot pic related. Loved the fuck out of this book. Man this thread makes me sad

4edgy8me bruh

Easily favorite book until like 8th grade

Cliff hanger had me shook

I don't care what people say or if it's truly the dullest franchise ever, but Harry Potter was fucking great to read as a kid/teen.

Fucking love this book

Out of the Silent Planet was my jam in late middle school

Loved this book so much I made this image my desktop background on my first laptop

i liked the hobbit

Yeees. White fang and Robinson crusue. I pored over that stuff

I have found that people who read them then like them still. I am one of those people and I have not gone back to reread potter

>1. Summer Camp is more fun than the British School system.
being mischievous in school is more taboo.
>2. Fighting monsters with swords, shields and stuff is so much cooler than shaking a stick at them
fighting is repetitive. exploring strange locations, flying when you want, playing skyball ,transmogrifying,etc is were its at.
>Riordan
has he ever written a book that did not have some hidden motive?

Eragon
I opened to the first chapter again last year to reread it then promptly closed it back up and threw it into the shelf

The Artemis Fowl series.

Kek. Never ever revisit Christopher Paolini's work after you've hit 18. He's one of the biggest hacks of young adult fiction.

I read Harry Potter but never understood the hype around it. I liked Tolkien stuff better.

I read a lot of sci-fi. The foundation series was my favorite.

>Kek. Never ever revisit Christopher Paolini's work after you've hit 18. He's one of the biggest hacks of young adult fiction.
All writers of YA fiction are hacks.

Arthur Gordon Pym.
Fucking comfy book.

kino

Childhood: Kid friendly Greek myths
Kid: Pic related and Harry Potter
Teen: Didn't read much but Ayn Rand before I moved on to better things

Gregor the overlander was the first book I read that remembered enjoying, and then the generic stuff Harry Potter, Percy Jackson, the hunger games series, etc

>tfw no Redwall
Loved me some Redwall books, couldn't stop reading them.

The Sammy Keyes books were good too, but I think I only got to the fourth one before I aged out. I should go back and find out what happened.

The Hobbit, Roald Dahl, and about ever book on wild animals I could find.

Monica

Painfully true

Forgot pic

Artemis Fowl

True, but Paolini is particularly awful.

My dad had a book shelf with literally everything Stephen King ever wrote on it, and I read most of it

In elementary school I remember really liking Deltora Quest/Sea of Trolls among others

this. I was obsessed with Eragon when I was 8 but as I grew older and more books started coming out I just kept trudging along to see how it would end. Honestly I remember Eragon being really charming and good, then everything after was bad. No one cares what his retarded cousin thinks, or the nigress, or the high IQ baby. Honestly I remember reading through Inheritance as soon as it came out (I was 13 or 14 at the time I think) and I can't even remember how it ended.

redwall was the shit

Besides the obvious Harry Potter, Percy Jackson, Goosebumps etc, I also read a lot of simplified classics (pic related) and Roald Dahl.

the good guys win

Nancy Farmer is great, was a bit obsessed in middle school. I really enjoyed the Sea of Trolls, A Girl Named Disaster and Land of The Silver apples as well.

The Wind Singer series, Deltora, Nancy farmer stuff, Freak The Mighty, The Last Book in The Universe, Earthsea, Roald Dahl(still read them in middle school lol), The Demonata Series, Across The Nightingale Floor, The Chronicles of Prydain, The Amulet of Samarkand, Maniac Magee, The Thief Lord, Gregor the Overlander, The Wednesday Wars, Finding Spirit Bear, Lots of shitty ghost/cryptid story collections

>I really enjoyed the Sea of Trolls
So did I.
I've been meaning to re-read that series.