I need recommendations about sci fi books that deals with philosophical themes. Sci fi books that makes you think...

I need recommendations about sci fi books that deals with philosophical themes. Sci fi books that makes you think. Food for thought.

If you haven’t read Frank Herbert you’re missing out. Dune is incredibly relevant to today’s world where automation is a major issue.

The Book of the New Sun

Anything by PKD. He is imo, with full sincerity, a genius.

I dunno. All of them? None? Contact?

lit doesnt do sci-fi...

it doesnt look as prestigious when all those colorful books are on the brag-shelf

>lit doesnt do sci-fi...
Uhhh, we have an entire general thread dedicated to it

embarrassed for your post

The Scifi/Fantasy General is the best and most active thread on here. Like an island surrounded by an ocean of screeching nautical autists.

Why do you think they need a general?

Or a fuckstick, depending

The Culture novels fit the bill
I've only read the first two, of which the second one was vastly superior and I honestly recommend skipping Phlebas, and while the message can be a bit hamfisted at times it still addresses the issues of what hedonism is good for, how justified a "better" society is at enlightening a lesser one and what actually makes people happy

Dune the original novel doesn't spend too much time on that though, other than making it a plot device
still a fantastic book anyone should read but not really for that reason imho

the star diaries by stanislaw lem

Last and First Men by Olaf Stapledon is a humanity future-myth about our progress and purpose. It's on an immense scale, you see several iterations of humanity rise and fall across millions of years, and it is very profound. Read it.

I should’ve specified the Dune franchise. The ones written by Herbert. God Emperor of Dune is brilliant.

You would probably like dystopian science fiction. Here's where to start with the dystopia genre:

Nineteen Eighty-Four
Brave New World
Fahrenheit 451
Do Androids Dream of Electric Sheep?

Obvious, I know, but everyone should start with the most well-known classics.

this was really neat

seconding this as my first thought aswell

that makes sense
haven't read any of the sequels, they're on the already way too long a list

OP here. Thanks for all the recommendations! All the books seems really interesting. Some of them I have read, like Dune but the others I didn't. I'll definitely read them.

dianetics gets into the big questions for sure
as does fahrehnheit

Best Aldiss by far. Also enjoyed Barefoot in the Head. Otherwise he's a spotty authority. Helliconia was boring and An Age put me to sleep and Non Stop and Hothouse are just pulp tier not sure why so highly regarded

Hitchiker's guide for the galaxy

Roadside Picnic, followed by the Kefahuchi Tract trilogy (at least the first two). Also Solaris.

Frankenstein of Baghdad

Some others:
Foundation Trilogy (Gibbon of the future)
A Canticle for Leibowitz
Neuromancer
The Sparrow
The Forever War
Earth Abides
The City and The City
The Doomsday Book

good list. i'll add Star Maker. Most imaginative book i've ever read.

Yes, both Stapeldons. Acid before there was acid.

Wow, approved by Thomas Pynchon? I'll definitely read this.

Because too many people were making threads about many different scifi and fantasy books so it made sense to keep it in one thread