Not to mock you or anything... but why do you read anyway? I mean humans have basic needs... food, sleep, sex...

Not to mock you or anything... but why do you read anyway? I mean humans have basic needs... food, sleep, sex, basic entertainment. Why books? Is it a superiority complex in a way - "I am such an intellectual for reading words on a paper, durrr". Tell me.

Not to mock you or anything... but why don't you kill yourself?

This is not an answer.

I read because nothing else can make me happy.

why bother with your basic needs, even? why do anything?

That hierarchy of needs shit is Jewish

No one should be obliged to answer a question as dumb as this one, guys

You realize how reading books is a form of escapism like marijuana or jerking off with the pretense of being "intellectual" when you have a limited time to lose your virginity on this planet and you decide to spend it reading words on paper.

Not everyone's a loser like you are to have a life goal like "losing your virginity", you fucking moron.

>basic entertainment

Define 'basic'.

>Hahaha, they took the bait the fucking losers
Jump

>brainlet, the post

if you read books you wouldn't ask this question. books are really insightful into life in general, if you don't read books that sounds silly but the only way to know that it is true is if you read.

>entertainment
im gonna pull a DFW here and say that when you use the word entertainment, you think of it is TV, Movies, video games... and all of those are entertainments where you just receive entertainment and give nothing. they aren't genuine stories, they are just commodities made to keep your attention for as long as possible. so in short, entertainment is really cheap and enslaving

gotta say this is really good bait

>a limited time to lose your virginity
yes, this is so immensely difficult I wonder how anyone manages to do it in the seventy years they get

I think it fulfills the basic human need of belonging to a socio-cultural context. In a way reading (at least when one reads literature rather than just simple shlock) presents one with a certain slice of the infinitely complex space of the Cultural - it introduces one to a certain canon. This also explains why reading is a hobby very popular among those who have a hard time finding connections in other places: it is a different form of communication throught which they can find their place within the Cultural.

Being well-read (not that well desu) actually helped me get laid with an 8/10 blonde chick from my uni, she was really into poetry and classical lit and shit like that. (It might sound ridiculous, however I've got no way to prove it in here).

Why do you relate literature to superior intellect so tightly? Most readers are 30-year old housewives. It's a comfy, cheap and inclusive hobby for indoorsy people. Everyone reads, even you have read a few books in your lifetime. Veeky Forums especially reads all the popular, widely known books you can discuss even with your religious aunt.

I've also tried cartoons, movies and marijuana but after a hundred cartoons even the dimmest pleb will have noticed the repeating, cliched shit writing and will seek out something different.

>pretending to be retarded
There's no harm in rattling someone's cage.

This.

Veeky Forums reads mostly classical literature so it's only natural it's not obscure crap, and this is a good thing