Why does it seem that all the greatest Irish writers hate Ireland?

Why does it seem that all the greatest Irish writers hate Ireland?

Because they're very nationalist so they get mad at Ireland for being shit.

Insufficient number of braphogs

>They tried me in absentia, convicted me in absentia, and sentenced me to death in absentia — so, I said they could execute me in absentia.
Because Brendan Behan could start a drunken brawl in a nunnery, let alone the IRA.

Because they're objective thinkers and any objective thinker would see how fucking terrible Ireland is

Explain

Come visit and you too can be a man out standing in his field full of rocks wind and rain.

unironically a superb post

there's a lot to hate about the place. they should never have driven the snakes out, for example.

The Irish are brutes, and any civilization at they have was forced onto them by others.

>The Irish are brutes, and any civilization at they have was forced onto them by others.
irish are well-read termites, they get everywhere first and learn their language better than them while breeding faster. the only attempts at forcing them to go anywhere resulted in australia and america. everywhere else they just left barmen who read and explain things to the monolingual anglos.

Because any intelligent person born in Ireland hates Ireland. I'm Irish and I hate Ireland.
From the outside you just see all the great people that flee the country, what you don't see is the nigger tier daily life of this backwater

kek

>those genetics

I can attest that this is true. It's a beautiful country ruined by it's inhabitants.

I think writers, at least great writers should be uncomfortable with their homeland. For writing, should revel the hopes dreams, follies, losses and misgivings of human nature, and nations reflect that.

Unbridled nationalism is a closed path

I think a lesson with Joyce too however is that to love your nation is to criticize it and to escape nationalism is to love your nation. He was very Hegelian in his relationship to both the Church and Ireland in this regard

Which intelligent person doesn't both hate and love where they're from?

I was going to jokingly say Hitler but he really fucking hated Germany early on

Hit the nail on the head, brilliant

>tfw the only irish nationalist writer wasnt even irish

Anglo-Irish are still Irish