>voice in head that goes "nah thats too pretentious"
>"nah thats dumb"
>"nah say it like this"
>"rewrite this part"

HOW STOP??

Other urls found in this thread:

youtube.com/watch?v=H9xnpLQRs5g
twitter.com/AnonBabble

I gave it form in the form of a Darkman, my shadow image. All it ever wanted was a hug...

that voice is fine as long as it only shows up during revisions of your work not the first draft

I basically aspire to give up on writing and reading as I'm only driven seemingly to write what people will like. I like ideas and enjoy them, but this enjoyment is deadened by this constant drive to be someone impressive.

yeah this, if you're doing it in the heat of the moment during writing than that is something you need to fix, otherwise that's whats meant to be happenning..

ask yourself why you think it's pretentious. If you can give a reasonable response, then the voice is fine, and good

Kill it, kill it dead.

Don't post that, it's stupid. Rewrite it, it's not even funny. That won't make anybody laugh, and you are shit.

abilify

This is 100% fine during the revision process. Don't confuse what's on the page with yourself. If this is happening during generative phases you might be just super insecure, in which you should find religion or something, or perhaps you're trying too hard to hit a homer in with every sentence. Just try to get on base consistently with strong sentences that do their jobs. Eventually you'll see the places where you can nut all over the page without being pretentious

>perhaps you're trying too hard to hit a homer in with every sentence
There is no such thing as "trying too hard to hit a homer." Every sentence counts

I've never had this problem. I'm basically Kanye West when I write. Which isn't to say that I'm complete shit. I simply don't give a fuck about sounding pretentious. It's the characters. You can judge those fuckers, not me.

Drown it in booze.

two shots of whiskey and don't stop writing until it's done

ofc it's going to come out pants on head retarded but it'll BE

> I'm basically Kanye West when I write.
>Which isn't to say that I'm complete shit.

You are shit, but it's not cause you are like Kanye.

Start freewriting for 10 minutes every day. Go to the dollar store and get a separate notebook just for freewriting. You'll notice it'll probably be really "noisy" at first, but eventually you'll shake out all the garbage and you'll be more discerning about what you actually put down on the paper, which will in turn make you doubt yourself less.

Ignore poster. My diary entries are always disturbing and desperate garbo when drunk. Almost makes me become a teetotaler.

Good advice here. To write just start and worry later.

Your mother.

Every sentence needs to be good, but if you need to say "character x walked to place Y" just say it. Trying to make that some master faulknerian sentence in the generative stage is what leads to the indecisive and insecure second guessing that op describes.

I find I do my best work upon fist waking or when i'm dead dog tired.

you just have to live it retard
youtube.com/watch?v=H9xnpLQRs5g

You were right.