Was I memed? This translation is fucking garbo

Was I memed? This translation is fucking garbo

>Always the greater part of the painful fighting is the work of my hands; but when the time comes to distribute the booty yours is far greater the reward

TAKE THAT BACK YOU FUCKING SHIT

I BET YOU LOVE FAGLES, PEVEAR, AND VOLOKHONSKY

>non-standard word order is garbage lol
He's imitating the diction of the original Greek.

>I myself going to your shelter, that you may learn well how much greater I am than you.

Absolute trash.

So if we translate French we should talk like this:

I you fuck your mother.

Is that wha

I do. Why's this bad?
t. brainlet trying to learn

God, English is such an unpoetic language.

For poetry, yes, that's acceptable

I don’t see the problem

>slightly unusual word order
>this confuses and angers the *nglo
Truly a pathetic people

I was suggested Rause to get a basic understanding

Lattimore's translations are known for having no poetic sensibility. So yes you got memed by people that think wooden literalness equates to accurate translation. There are sources that you can consult about this issue, which provide evaluations of various translations, such as the Oxford Guide to Literature in English Translation. For a modern translation I would suggest Fitzgerald or Fagles.

If you think that's what he's complaining about you don't have any business talking about translation.

Ok, I guess I don't know much about translations after all. Could you explain what's the problem here?

It's simply poor poetry that reads horribly. Nonstandard word order, per se, isn't the issue; compare it with better foreignizing translations like Longfellow's Divine Comedy.

So why is Iliad - Lattimore and Odyssey - Fitzgerald recommended a lot of the time?

I think I'm gonna stay away from translated poetry. I'll go with the Butler translation, since it reads better than all these fuckers trying to put English into dactyls.

Fitzgerald desu

Compare with>Never when the Achaeans sack any rich city of the Trojans do I receiveso good a prize as you do, though it is my hands that do the better partof the fighting. When the sharing comes, your share is far the largest,and I, forsooth, must go back to my ships, take what I can get and be thankful,when my labour of fighting is done.

Much better.

Try the Alexander if you want the translation of record.

"As when in heaven, stars about the bright moon
shine conspicuous when the upper air turns windless,
and all the peaks and jutting cliffs are shown,
and valleys, and from heaven above the
boundless bright air is rent with light
and all the stars are seen, and the shepherd’s heart rejoices,
so between the ships and streams of Xanthos
In such multitude shone the watchfires of the Trojans’ burning, before Ilion.
A thousand fires were burning on the plain, and by each one
sat fifty men in the glow of the fire’s gleaming:
and the horses munched their white barleyand their grain
standing beside their chariots as they
awaited Dawn on her fair throne."

Holy... I want more.

>Pope
>translation
pffffffffffffffffff

Because Veeky Forums is retarded pseuds that have esoteric metrics for quality. If it's shit and old and what their professor told them is good, they will gobble it the fuck up and repeat it ad nauseum. They will scoff at something like a prose translation or an iambic pentameter instead of dactyl hexameter translation. Take everything here with a grain of salt, lest you be memed into reading Ulysses.

Caroline Alexander, not Alexander Pope

>simply poor poetry that reads horribly
So basically just your opinion. The verses read fine. I thought you had more solid arguments for attacking probably the most highly regarded English translation of the work.

>Most highly regarded translation

According to who? Veeky Forums? Are you really going to make the argument from that?

By scholars? It is extremely commonly used, as far as I know, and regularly recommended by just about everyone, everywhere. Veeky Forums's taste regarding the translations of Homer is nothing atypical.
And even if it weren't among the most highly regarded you'd need better arguments before calling it "fucking garbo".

>the most highly regarded English translation of the work.
>and regularly recommended by just about everyone, everywhere
This is simply not true.

"Fitzgerald's manner suits the Iliad less well, but his two translations have supplanted the more turgid versions of Richmond Lattimore." -Oxford Guide to Literature in English Translation, pg. 355

The Encyclopedia of Literary Translation into English praises Lattimore for "a superbly faithful but dulled glimpse of the brilliance of the Greek behind Lattimore's English," but notes that "the tone is flat. Lattimore... settles for the prosaic equivalent of a Greek word rather than discovering a word of comparable wit" and ranks it as superior to prose translations (vol. 1, pg. 658).

>ranks it as superior to prose translations
so the lattimore translation is superior

What OP needs to do is read some other translation.

It's easy to find a lot of different editions.

Did you read Goethe and complain about it not rhyming, you cunt?

>inb4 hurr, poetry doesn't need to rhyme when translated

Fuck that. Poetry, if well-translated, should fucking rhyme.

Source: I translated 4 fucking books and all the poems matched the story.

but Homer didn't rhyme user.

>Did you read Goethe and complain about it not rhyming, you cunt?
The best modern translation of Faust, by David Luke, is rhymed, though.

>keikaku means plan