Which E-reader should I buy if the vast majority of my digital library consists of PDFs? I've heard it said here...

Which E-reader should I buy if the vast majority of my digital library consists of PDFs? I've heard it said here, again and again, that the Kindle sucks for PDFs. So what do I get? Long battery life preferred.

kobo with koreader

it just werks

I have a Kobo and it sucks at reading pdfs, though in general I like it.

every E-ink sucks dick for PDF if you want to read PDF just get a tablet. E-ink readers are for books only.

I mostly read non-fiction and it's hard to get the books that I want in e-book formats. Many obscure and out of print titles. Maybe I'll just stick to physical copies... There are certain types of (politically divisive) books that I don't want to be seen carrying around though.

get calibre and convert your pdfs to epubs or azw3s for kindle

Nah I don't agree. Calibre converts PDFs to MOBI or EPUB, and those files read just fine on Kindle from my experience.

They convert PDF for shit. The line breaks are all fucked up.

Buy a Paperwhite. Best of em all.

On this topic, is there any place I can find collections of epub/mobi format books? I could go through gutenberg and individually search/download specific things, but it would be nice to download archives of popular, public-domain material.

Tablets are the only option if you don't want to be infuriated with pdfs. Sure you can get that program that cuts the edges but the DPI is still shit, the zoom is sluggish and big files will only crash it. Conversion to epub/mobi is pointless unless you'll willing to fix every line of text

Nook simple touch who else /innis/?

So what happens if I buy a whole collection of Kindle ebooks and Amazon goes down for good?

You use Calibre to sync them to the kindle for free. Paying is for cucks.

(You can do it the other way to back up mobis, but that’s fucking retarded).

I've read thousands of pages on my iPad with the kindle app.

Amazon gives your device that's registered (from a iPad to kindle to even your PC reader) a specific email. Just send that email a .mobi under 35mb without any subject or body and it will auto add into your library.

Just read them on your phone.

If you already downloaded them then you can just take them out of the kindle through USB and use DeDRM to strip out the DRM.

PDFs are designed for dynamic high refresh rate displays which simply is explicitly the operating sacrifice of e-ink
If you want to read a PDF take out your smart phone or use a PC

Sony DPT-RP1 is made specifically for PDFs. Any small screen e-reader will be awful

Mine is five years old and going strong.

Don't listen to this person.
Listen to this person.
Lol.
Probably a torrent.

Use a piece of software to convert the pdfs to .mobi or whatever. I can't remember what it is called, but it works very well and it is not calibre.
t. Owns a kindle and used this software

This is either lack of knowledge or willfull misinformation. The only way this works is if someone "prints" a PDF from a word processors doc

8' incher or larger. Nothing else will do for pdf. You'll still need to crop white spaces on 8', and for few rare small print books you will even need to put it to lanscape, but it's the only size where everything is readable, something that can't be said for smaller readers.

Been using it for two years and I'm only going back when on a trip. Even regular epubs read so much better.

9/10 files I read are pdfs. Never had a single problem with them when I use the reflow option with koreader. I make sure to splice my larger pdf files by chapter so it saves memory (don't be a retard and open a 20mb pdf on an e-reader)

Calibre is shit btw.

I read pdfs on kindle too, but if you are reading scholarly or reference works without managing borders it becomes less than ideal

Well, koreader has a nice 'reflow' option that eliminates borders and zooms into the text and then reformats it as needed. Never had a problem other than a shitty pdf scan that make the text all wavey.

I have an Aura One so maybe that's why it feels so nice. I honestly can't say a single thing wrong with my pdf experience with the Aura One + koreader.

where can i get this koreader thing

internet search it, it's a little tricky to install but not that difficult, you have to install a bootloader first then install koreader

kobo software is bloated, koreader is much better

>(don't be a retard and open a 20mb pdf on an e-reader)

I have 200mb pdfs dude... No major problems whatsoever. Depends on your ereader, but some have preflow built in for pdf. It means you get few consequent pages loaded up in memory as you read. That way even huge images will load fast. I get some minute delay wile opening the book, but after that it's smooth, not much larger delay as on regular epub. Longer load time come up only when you try to skip pages, or go through them in quick order, but these are no problems if you read as you go through book.

Aura One is 7,8', that's different league as Kindles. No matter what Amazon does with their screens, they can't cheat size. But going higher screen size Eink for them is going against their own Fire tablets market, and Fire bring movies and shows subscription to the table, so they stick with undersized einkers.

12.9 ipad pro gen 2 2017

I've searched around for "classic collection" torrents and the like. Does anyone have a link or keyword I could search for?

>get calibre and convert your pdfs to epubs

I've tried doing this with academic books, and it really doesn't work very well. The Greek gets mangled, the footnotes get jumbled, etc.

what's eink...

I've got a Kobo Aura One with KOreader installed. I read mostly PDFs, scanned or formatted as a printed book. I adjust the content to the screen width, so when I tap the to move forward, it pans from the upper 2/3 to the bottom 2/3 of the page, and then I tap again to turn it. I never use the reflow option.

Texts formatted in columns and books scanned two pages at a time are hard to deal with. And font size may still be kind of small, but I was doing the same thing on a 6'' Kindle, so I'm used to it. I got almost everything of what I have for free on the internet, so there's not much to complain.

If he’s reading PDFs.