Behold! I show you The Ultimate Man. "What is love? What is creation? What is longing? What is a star...

>Behold! I show you The Ultimate Man. "What is love? What is creation? What is longing? What is a star?" – asks the Ultimate Man and blinks. The earth has then become small and on it there hops the Ultimate Man who makes everything small. His race is as ineradicable as the flea; the Ultimate Man lives longest. "We have discovered happiness"— say the Ultimate Men and blink. They have left the regions where it is hard to live; for they need warmth. One still loves one’s neighbour and rubs again him; for one needs warmth. Sickness and mistrust they consider sinful: they walk warily. He is a fool who still stumbles over stones or over men! A little poison now and then: that makes for pleasant dreams. And a lot of poison at the end for a pleasant death. One still works for work is a pastime. But they take care that this pastime does not weary them. No-one becomes poor or rich anymore; both are too wearying. Who still wants to rule? Who still wants to obey? Both are too much of a burden. No herdsman and one herd! Everyone wants the same, everyone is the same: whoever thinks otherwise goes voluntarily into the madhouse. "Before, the whole world was mad"— say the cleverest amongst them and blink. They are clever and know all that has ever happened: so there is no end to their mockery. People still quarrel, but are soon reconciled— otherwise indigestion would result. They have their little pleasures for the day and their little pleasures for the night: but they respect health. "We have discovered happiness "— say the Ultimate Men and blink.

Why aren't you Ultimate, Veeky Forums?

Baby don't hurt me

What a complete butchering of quotes.

Was his obsession with blinking just to ridicule the last man or is there something else to it

I think the point is that the Ultimate Man is pathetic.

So is the Ultimate man is a big guy but the last man thinks he's in charge here?

it's the same concept just a different translation
like übermensch being called overman or superman

This passage is describing the last-man, which is the complete opposite of the uber-man.

Why did you read the faggot translation?

Ted Kaczynski seal of approval?

So are we making fun of OP now for thinking Nietzsche was praising the 'Ultimate Man' or what?

I mean seriously, I know sometimes Nietzschean philosophy is a bit opaque because sardonic and dense, but seriously OP how the fuck did you miss the point of this???

can you read?

What's the fucking problem?

Ultimate = last

This is how english works.

No one wants to be an Ubermensch, because you are alone this world with this view. You cannot make others this way, you can only guide as a Buddha.

user 1 thought last man and ultimate man were 2 different people, user 2 explained they were just different translations and used the übermensch example to show this
nobody thought the übermensch was mentioned in the quoted passage

Uh...yes?

Dont worry user that person is small brain.

He doesn't understand you were asking about two similar but different ideas, and that you were asking for a comperative answer.

my first reply is the one with the equal sign

I have no idea what's going on. Initially I thought someone was confused because he didn't understand ultimate = last

I'm the poster of
I think is right in that I might have been confused and misinterpreted this thread because of the reason outlined in Confusing thread all around. Was an attempted bane-post?

This person Understood the above passage wrongly

This is you
This person is correct.
This person was asking for a comparison

i meant this as the suspected bane post

ahhh the convenience of anonymity
im the asshole poster btw

i finally understood that, a bit too subtle

WOW. The intensity of this thread just went up by 200 in 2 seconds. You could analyze this very thread for aeons.

I think the blinking stuff is supposed to signify they don't do anything else. There's no reaction. They ponder these great things but they just leave them at that and the next thing they do is blink with a straight, unchanged face.

You could analyze the asshole of a monkey for aeons and still have learned nothing. What's your point?

What is the best Nietzsche translation?

pretty kafkaesque trhead my dudes

I once saw an interpretation here which was pretty convincing, namely that blinking, being an automatic act unless you pay attention to it, is also in someone's nature. So the last man's sayings and doings are also what resonate with his nature (or rather ehat is dominant in him) and go unchallenged by himself.