I might pick "Divergent and the Dystopian Novel" as my Bachelor's thesis. How fucked am I?

I might pick "Divergent and the Dystopian Novel" as my Bachelor's thesis. How fucked am I?

"The goal of the work is to identify dystopian elements based on comparative analysis of other works of this genre (Orwell, Huxley...)"

I like both of these authors and some others plus dystopian setting in general but what I have heard is that the Divergent trilogy is yet another Hunger Games empowered woman cringefest. Anyone else that read it and could provide some input?

Other urls found in this thread:

veekyforums.com/thread/10478625/literature/i-might-pick-divergent-and-the-dystopian-novel-as.html
twitter.com/NSFWRedditGif

>YA as the basis of a Bachelor's thesis
The absolute state of academia

I could take "Sommerset Maugham's Prose " instead but I am too much of a brainlet for that you know.

Nigga u dumb.

Care to elaborate?

I strongly suspect this is bait. If, by chance it isn't, don't go any further and immediately find something else.

Can your thesis be a scathing attack? I would breakdown how Divergent is a hollow Hunger Games knockoff that doesn't have any true meaning.

No.

Why don't you compare Infinite Jest or Handmaid's Tale to 1984 and Brave New World? Your professors would probably like that more than a paper on fucking Divergent.

It's not as if I decided to create this particular topic, it's one of the five from 1 particular teacher (British lit.).

I mean I could probably shit on it as much as I want as long as I stay on topic.

The thing is, the professor himself created the topic. I could still ask for an individual paper but it might be more difficult.

>I mean I could probably shit on it as much as I want as long as I stay on topic.
Do it. It looks like your easiest option.

You need to leave that program if this is the kind of shit you’re spending your time on. Every second you spend thinking about this project is completely wasted. Don’t even know how the fuck you got into this mess to begin with. What was the decision tree that leads a man to consider this?

user, nowadays you have to put up with some really stupid shit to pass college. Academia has been infiltrated by subversive idiots.

Are you going to include The Giver?

Not after what he did to your asshole.

Wh-what?

I don't know it. Should I?

What are your other options?

Great Expectations and Jack Maggs
Ecotopian Fiction
Sommerset Maugham's Prose
Poster in the Inter-war Period

These are the only Brit. lit. topics (plus the Divergent and the Dystopian Novel I already posted)

You can always choose trial by combat. Little known fact: if you defeat your professor in armed combat you take his degree.

It's dystopian, kind of similar to Brave New World, was mandatory reading in my high school, plus it's an easy read if you feel it could add to your thesis

Alright, thanks for the addition.

FPBP

Especially something so badly written. Supposedly she had a friend in publishing and that was how she got a deal where another author wouldn't have gotten through the slush pile.

Oooh so that's what he was up to at Virginia Tech.

> a battle royale ripoff ripoff
THE ABSOLUTE STATE OF YA “““LITERATURE”””

OP, all of those are absolutely bullshit topics. I would recommend spending money to get some pajeet to write your essay.
That said, how long does this have to be? I wouldn’t be remotely opposed to setting this up as a Veeky Forums collaborates on a piece of writing thing.

I also found veekyforums.com/thread/10478625/literature/i-might-pick-divergent-and-the-dystopian-novel-as.html looking for OP’s course. What on earth?

Circa 40 pages.

You are being generous with such an offer but I am not sure how multiple people writing a paper would look like. Continuity would probably be a mess.

Don't know what the hell vekkyforums are supposed to be.

If you’ve got a strong structure, we would be great at filling in examples, justifications and the like. We just need a structure to fill in. If you post a google doc, you will get a thesis back.

this

Orwell and Huxley wrote dystopian books about how the future can be, so we should prevent it.
On the other hand, I think that Hunger Games and Divergent are set in future, but what they convey the message about present times, using future setting as exaggeration.
Could that be a valid point to your thesis?

What are you doing with your life?

but why in the world wouldn't you just use The Hunger Games?

obviously your lecturer doesn't actually intend you to write about divergent. the goal statement makes that clear.
dystopian novels is a good topic for a thesis really. as hints they are usually not so much about the future but about the author's fears of the present
i haven't read divergent but as the goal mentions "orwell, huxley, ..." they probably also have "we" by yevgeny zamyatin in mind. you can trace them back like a family tree
same with hunger games. i have read the first one in the series. obviously it is a direct descendent of battle royale but it also goes back to stories about child sacrifice, fairy tales like hans christian andersen, greek myths like the legend of the minotaur.

all the same it's a shame you didn't pick the w somerset maugham topic because he was a fucking master of the art. catalina, the painted veil and the moon and sixpence are all works of genius

not op but I loved the magician and I have a copy of "Of Human Bondage" sitting next to me unread. I've been wanting to read more of the ole poof.

Endings are quite different.
Orwell and Huxley: if you let society to be fully controlled it will never come back, because people in that society will not have enough power to change it from the inside.
Divergent and Hunger Games are more optimistic, they show that it is possible to change the society from the inside, you only need to be a charismatic girl that does not know which boy to choose. ;)

Post your thesis on here, OP.

Probably needs to complete it fully before he can show anyone.

NO ITS A FUCKING YA NOVEL YOU RETARDED MONGOLOID